BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

X3 side mirrors not symmetrical?

I've been having a with excessive wind noise from the drivers window in my X3. My service dept. has ordered a new seal, which will be here this week and, hopefully, fix it.

While I was looking at the car, I noticed that the driver's side view mirror comes off the car at almost a right angle, where the passenger mirror is more angled or "raked" towards the rear of the car.

I have not seen another X3 (they are kind of sparse) to validate if mine is "special". I cannot imagine it is, based on the way the parts are structured. But then again, they would have to reverse this for Right-hand drive cars.

Would someone be kind enough to look at their X3 in the daylight and tell me if the side view mirrors are "symmetrical" (I think thats the correct word)?

THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
lord.vater
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bavarian tech

i'll check tomorrow but i think youre crazy
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

I think it's asymmetrical as I rmbr for the folding mirrors, the passenger side folds faster than the drivers side while moving at the same speed if u get way I mean.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post
...Would someone be kind enough to look at their X3 in the daylight and tell me if the side view mirrors are "symmetrical" (I think thats the correct word)?

THANKS!
They are definitely asymmetrical. On my US 35i, The black surround bezel (the “frame’ around the back of the mirror housing) is in a plane that is at 15 degrees from (a line perpendicular to) the side window, while the passenger side mirror bezel is at 29 degrees from the passenger side window plane.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

[QUOTE=Lotus7;9338635]

They are definitely asymmetrical. On my US 35i, The black surround bezel (the “frame’ around the back of the mirror housing) is in a plane that is at 15 degrees from (a line perpendicular to) the side window, while the passenger side mirror bezel is at 29 degrees from the passenger side window plane. [QUOTE]

Why is it so? Is it for a technical reason or is it just because the passenger one is designed to roll down during reverse and the driver one doesn't? If you have any insight on this, please share Lotus. Thanks.

Last edited by jaymk5; 04-11-2011 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: I thought only & in the post doesn't work with iphone, today I found even " doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Huh.

Well at least it is not just mine that is like this. I am sure there is some some reason (maybe aerodynamics?) why the bezels come off the car at different angles.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post
I've been having a with excessive wind noise from the drivers window in my X3. My service dept. has ordered a new seal, which will be here this week and, hopefully, fix it.

While I was looking at the car, I noticed that the driver's side view mirror comes off the car at almost a right angle, where the passenger mirror is more angled or "raked" towards the rear of the car.

I have not seen another X3 (they are kind of sparse) to validate if mine is "special". I cannot imagine it is, based on the way the parts are structured. But then again, they would have to reverse this for Right-hand drive cars.

Would someone be kind enough to look at their X3 in the daylight and tell me if the side view mirrors are "symmetrical" (I think thats the correct word)?

THANKS!
They are not symmetrical. The passenger side is angled in more so as to be seen from the drivers seat. It's totally normal.
Appreciate 0