BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
charlie67
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche, F25

Speed Camera POI

Has anyone been able to add speed camera point of interests to their prof nav system?
      07-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

2011 X3 prof nav sysyem doesnt support speed camera POIs and doesn't allow to add any POI to its existing database.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

My workaround for this has been to install TomTom on my iPhone. When I drive somewhere where I need speed camera alerts I turn on the TomTom app and set the phone volume to max. It beeps loud enough for me to hear when I approach a camera but of course the sound alert does not work when my phone is plugged into the snap-in adaper so I usually leave the phone in the door. Not the best of solutions but better than being included in that dreaded snapshot.

As a side remark speed camera alerts are now not allowed in Switzerland and France so in Europe we need to do a little prep before driving across borders.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
charlie67
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche, F25

Its crazy you cant add your own POI, even not neccessarily speed traps. It would make it a much more useable system especially since handhelds and mobile phones have this capability. The whole point of a built in system is that you dont have these other things stuck to the screen etc.
      07-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie67 View Post
Its crazy you cant add your own POI, even not neccessarily speed traps. It would make it a much more useable system especially since handhelds and mobile phones have this capability. The whole point of a built in system is that you dont have these other things stuck to the screen etc.
that is why I am loving my 150 eur tomtom with easy map updates etc. I even got a good navigation in my nokia - why on earth I would pay more than 2000 eur for a build in gps - less flexibility and benefits are doubtful. If build-in navigation would cost 500 max I would think about it, do not get why it cost so much ...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

I use a Galaxy Ace on 3G unlimited data contract - £10 a month works really well here in UK. Always up to date with google traffic info and speed warnings...
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

I agree that the Prof Nav is over priced but I still find it very useful. I have used TomTom devices for several years now but BMW's maps (perhaps Garmin is equally good here - haven't tried it) are better and more up-to-date, at least in the areas where I usually drive. The way you can easily scale the maps and even have two different map views or instructions at the same time in the split screen is something at least TomTom cannot match and I use it regularly.

So the single irritation that almost (but only almost) cancels this out is the lack of POI editing in my opinion. Wouldn't surprise me too much if this included in next year's NAV upgrade though.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

It is very expensive and annoying that you can't enhance it but it's so much better having everything built and synchronised than having a phone or tomtom stuck to your windscreen/dash IMO. The fact you get directions displayed in the dash is very useful and the split screen with different scale maps displayed simultaneously on each side is useful too

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0