BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
JimSchush
England
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0 D SE Auto

Headlamp condensation

We have had our new X3 for just over 1 month now, during routine cleaning this weekend I noticed the near side headlight had condensation in it.
We booked the car in to our local dealer and after 3 hours of waiting today we got the car back only to find it was now actually worse than when we had taken the car in.
The sales exec has since informed me that this is a natural phenomena and after 15 minutes driving any condensation will evaporate?
We have used the car all day and still the condensation sits in the headlamp looking like a damp window!
Has anyone else had this problem and did you find a fix?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
ninoo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 x3 2.0d Auto

Yes, I had the same problem last year, headlamp unit replaced under warranty by main dealer . no problem
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I have the same problem with one of my headlights, although the condensation is generally quite light. I phoned the dealer and talked to one of the service guys and he told me that it is normal for that to happen where the light unit is not a sealed unit. He said that my Xenon headlamps were not sealed. He said to keep an eye on it anyway and bring the car in if it gets worse.
If not for the inconvenience, I think I would!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i dont think this is normal, usually condensation inside the headlight indicates seal is bad or housing is cracked.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
neelkc12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x3

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I had it on my passenger side. Simple solution - Get it replaced ASAP by BMW.

Note : Take pictures on various days comparing driver's side and passenger side for convincing the dealer.

NOte2 : Say specifially - driver's side / passenger's side - Not left or right. Dealer tech's were confused and did the job twice
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Had mine changed under warranty on both X3 and previous 5 series

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
amcintosh
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d M Sport Auto

I have this on my driver's side Xenon headlight. Just phoned the dealer today to book it in for checking. They said that BMW state if it clears within a certain time of switching on the headlights they won't replace it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcintosh View Post
I have this on my driver's side Xenon headlight. Just phoned the dealer today to book it in for checking. They said that BMW state if it clears within a certain time of switching on the headlights they won't replace it.
I would say this is normal in our climate. My last (E91) and current (F11) BMW cars both have had light condensation on occasion, typically clears after a short time. Light units are not fully sealed so there can be a moisture content on wet days.

To the OP, are we talking severe condensation? Or a light misting on wet days, which dries away after a while?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0