BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
doc.crawford
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 2.0D

3 year service deal

Hi guys, I am new to the forum. Have been reading a lot and anticipating my new X3. It will be in the country next week and hopefully in my garage shortly after that.

The question I am wanting some feedback on is: I didn't fall under the 3 year 60,000km servicing deal they are currently running in Australia as I missed out by a week. My dealer told me he couldn't have given me the deal on the car he did if I were to get under this program anyways. He has given me the offer of purchasing this service "at his cost" or so he says ($2000) would people recommend this or would you just pay for the services and costs as they come up?

Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance and looking forward to getting more involved on here.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

...subscribed.

I just received a promotional offer from BMW with respect to extended warranty for my 2013 35i.

Here we get a 4yr/80,000km warranty with service included. Below are the costs to extend the warranty beyond the factory offering.
Attached Images

10-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Waiting for BMW USA to send this...
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
doc.crawford
Rep

I am not talking about an extended warranty. I know in the US BMW has the deal with no maintenance for 3 years and 36,000 miles. Well we didn't have that out here. We now have it in place, but I can purchase it for $2000, does anyone thing this would be worth while or is it better to just wait and pay for expenses when they come up?

What have people found would need to be done over the first few years? If it is just scheduled oil changes and maintenance then obviously this would not be worth it, but if there are other things needed to be done in that time it would be better to pay upfront.

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.crawford View Post
Hi guys, I am new to the forum. Have been reading a lot and anticipating my new X3. It will be in the country next week and hopefully in my garage shortly after that.

The question I am wanting some feedback on is: I didn't fall under the 3 year 60,000km servicing deal they are currently running in Australia as I missed out by a week. My dealer told me he couldn't have given me the deal on the car he did if I were to get under this program anyways. He has given me the offer of purchasing this service "at his cost" or so he says ($2000) would people recommend this or would you just pay for the services and costs as they come up?

Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance and looking forward to getting more involved on here.
not worth it
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.crawford View Post
What have people found would need to be done over the first few years? If it is just scheduled oil changes and maintenance then obviously this would not be worth it, but if there are other things needed to be done in that time it would be better to pay upfront.

Thanks for the input.
You have probably part-answered your own question. You need to find out from your dealer exactly what the servicing deal involves - ie is it just scheduled servicing (parts?, labour?, consumables - oil, filters etc), does it cover big ticket items such as brake pads etc. What it could come down to is how many regular services are you going to get within this 3-years/60,000 km. Service intervals are 15,000 km but this could vary depending on what your car says (service intervals are not strictly fixed but are indicated by the car itself). I had my first regular service @ 16,000 km with the indicator recommending the next at around 28/29,000 km. For me, this indicates I would probably have 4 services within the 60,000 km limit. I drive around 25,000 km per year. Someone driving only say 10,000km/year would only get 2-3 services before the 3-year limit expires.

So perhaps what I'm saying is it could depend on how many miles you cover - ie high milage you could get 4 services and the $2,000 might be cost-effective, but drive less than say 20,000km/year and only get 3 services and I would suggest its not worth it. But again, check out the detail of the offer from the dealer to see what it covers and what it doesn't.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
doc.crawford
Rep

Great, thanks for the help guys. From what I understand it covers services and all included with those (oil, filters, labour, etc.) brake pads, discs, and wiper blade insert replacements. I drive around 20-25km's/year, but either way it would expire at 60,000km's, which would be the 4 services. in 60,000 km's I shouldn't go through more than one set of brake pads correct?

I have been reading other posts about people going through rear pads in 20,000 km's?! This would be greatly beneficial then as it would cover 2-3 sets of pads. What have others found with some km's on their X3?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #8
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

If the $2,000 covers the items you listed then maybe it is worthwhile. But don't rely on "your understanding" as to what it covers - get it in writing. Also, because this appears to be a special deal from your dealer (as opposed to an offer from BMW Australia), check whether it covers work at any BMW dealer in Australia or just your dealer.

Just be careful with the number of services involved. The service internal is only nominally every 15,000 km - the actual number is set by your car and could be less than 15,000 km if you drive hard, or greater than 15,000 km if you are a liitle old lady who only drives to church on Sundays. In my case, the car is indicating my rear brake pads will need replacing at 35,000 km, with the rears @ 80,000 km. You sure that the 20,000 km you have quoted isn't 20,000 miles.

Tony
Appreciate 0