BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Are certain options/assesories limited in the US at this time?

So I go to the build my own on the website and start playing with options and notice I can't find anything in both options or assesorties for the black grill like you see up in the upper left hand corner of this forum or in the wallpaper pics links on the first 2 series of photos found here http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408177

After seeing this iAd

and reading all the great things and flexibility about the costum ordering, I'm thinking cool the configurations are almost endless right?, after all millions of possibilities?!

So the first thing I email and ask the internet sales assistant about is the black grill option... oh that's for European models only...
Now I'm thinking WTF? is this true? Anybody know? I mean all models are made here in the US so I know they have the parts, can't they stick one on there?

I guess I'll just have to wait a while and maybe they will eventually have more trim options available but kind of dissapointed by this.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
e90diesel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d sold

I've noticed the same thing. The black grilles are European only.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bummer I was hoping someone would say the sales rep was mistaken... you know there's a stack of black grills right there in the assembly line too... and you can order an X5 with a black grill, so why not the X3? I don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

On a UK order it's standard to have a black grille but you can buy a titanium grille as an accessory. I would push the dealer to see if it's possible to get a black grille even though you can't actually choose one on the configurator. I have a combination of options that it's not possible to actually select on the UK configurator (dynamic package + 309 alloys). They said no at first but I think a lot of people wanted more flexibility so they changed the rules. If enough people push for a black grille in the US, maybe they'll change their minds on this too.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

The black grill is for diesel and the titanium one is for gas fuel (35i). You Americans have to import the diesels from Europa :-) to get the black grill.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ah ok, thanks for clafifying that... my friend had recently ordered a 2011 35i X5 with a black grill and xline trim, which looks pretty sweet btw, so I thought it was just an option and not used to distinguish between gas and diesel since his is the 35i petro engine.

It's really no big deal I guess I don't have to have a black grill, but after reading all the hype about ordering your own unique X3 with millions of possible configurations, it really seems quite limiting, once you really start looking at the options with 2 only kinds of wood, no black grill or xline trim, etc.

Maybe after the M-sport version comes out and the initial sales of X3's starts dying down they'll start to add more options?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

I will be swapping the standard diesel spec black grille (with chrome surround, not all black as the picture seems!) for the titanium with chrome surround ones at first opportunity!

The BMW part numbers for the black grille are

Left Hand 51117210725
Right Hand 51117210726

See http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=51&fg=15

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

How did Martha manage to get a black grille if they are only for diesel UK and European models?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHz3AHZomrg&feature=fvsr

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0