BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
stevemdaw
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0 MSport

UK X3 Order Error - advice needed

Hi all, I had to pop into my dealer today to tidy up some paperwork (re-value my part exchange car) as my delivery is approaching.

I ordered a 2.0D M Sport in Space Grey with Black leather, reversing camera, panoramic sunroof, privacy glass and towbar (for my cycles) at the start of April. I had confirmation that the car has been made and is awaiting despatch from the plant, with delivery to me due in September.

Whilst at the dealership today, they noticed that the car that had been manufactured under my order did not have the panoramic sunroof or the towbar. These had been additional options that I had added a month after order (start of May), and had signed a new contract accordingly being assured that they would be included - the sunroof had been an oversight in my original order.

Anyway, due to an oversight at the dealership, these additional options were never added to the manufacturing instructions and haven't been included. I can always get a towbar fitted (ok, not as nice as the OE one, but ok), however the sunroof is an issue - I know I didn't order it originally, but once I sat in a car that had it, I had decided that it is a must have.

The dealership are very contrite about the error, and have been super-helpful to try and put something right. They have advised three options:-
1. Place a correct re-order, though this will not be delivered now until Feb 2015.
2. I accept delivery of the car without the sunroof and towbar (with a small discount from the price I agreed orginally)
3. They have a pre-LCI 2014 plate in the showroom (carbon black with oyster leather) which does have the options I chose (minus the towbar and reversing camera), plus a lot of others : Professional Sat Nav, Servotronic Steering, Advanced loudspeaker system, folding mirrors and internet (they had added the auto bootlid and heated seats as well).

So in effect the car in the showroom has nearly all that I had specified, is available now and they have given me a great discount price to make up for their error. The car is worth £41190 list price( 3K more than the one I ordered), but they will sell to me for £5K discount (over 10% discount).

Of course I am gutted that I wouldn't be getting the car I specced - when you order a new car (especially such an expensive one) you want it to be exactly right, but I can't wait another 6 months - it would be 11 months from the original order before I took delivery.

I am very tempted to take the discounted showroom model, as it has the must-have sunroof. However, as it's the pre-LCI model, I don't know if this is wise.

I could take delivery of my ordered car, and spend my time driving it resenting the fact that it doesn't have a sunroof, or take the heavy discounted pre-LCI model which does have a sunroof. Something makes me think I may think more positively about the discount received, rather than resenting the lack of an option.

This is so much fuss about the lack of a sunroof, but I'm not sure what other options I have. Would you guys take the pre-LCI model, take the wrongly ordered new car, or make another order. Am I overreacting?

The other option is to buy a nearly new, the thinking being, if I'm going to be driving a car that's not 100% right, then I may as well pay £10K less for it.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by stevemdaw; 08-09-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Bramblings
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2015 awaited....September..

What a predicament, I don't envy you one bit trying to decide on which of the options you finally decide on.

However, I've been waiting for my own MSport since the middle of April and it's due to be made in the first week of September so I've been trying to put myself in your position.

I think that having waited all this time I personally would find it very difficult to accept the offer of a 2014 X3, undeniably a super vehicle with lots of options but.....it's still the 'old' model and you will know it every time you see the 2015.

All the reports are saying that the new engine is a great improvement over the old one (which is undeniably noisy) so I don't think I could settle for the 2014, knowing that I should have had a better car, unless I really was saving a huge amount of money and even then I know I would not be entirely satisfied.

I would very, very reluctantly probably have to wait for a re-order unfortunately.

You could always accept the car as it is and then see if you can sell it at a premium, I suppose. The waiting list isn't going to get any shorter just yet and there's bound to be someone prepared to pay a bit more to get a 2015 'now'.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bramblings; 08-09-2014 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
Northandy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d M Sport

You must be gutted.

Personally I wouldn't take the showroom car, as the other poster said the new engine is supposed to be much more refined.

Can you get the dealer to let you take the car as it comes then replace it with the car with sunroof you want in feb?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

It's possible too that the LCI has a whole bunch detail improvements.

Last edited by clivem2; 08-09-2014 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

As with the previous posts - I can appreciate the frustrating situation you find yourself in.

My personal opinion would be to order a new car - even with the delayed delivery. This is a vehicle that we you and your family will be living with for the next 3 years or more. Don't compromise otherwise you will spend the next couple of years wishing you hadn't and it will spoil the ownership experience.

So re-order the car you want and try and strike as good a deal on this as you can regarding cost and perhaps even a loaner to fill the gap between handing in your trade-in and receiving the new car.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #6
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Very simple. Their mistake so get them to register the car that is built with a guaranteed buy back for Feb. Order the new car for Feb.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 01:25 AM   #7
cumbrianlad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

That's a hard one. At the end of the day it comes down to your personal choice and what your priorities are, and whether or not whatever deal you are being offered is adequate compensation in your opinion. Don't know the background to your reason for changing, the need to change now or what your changing from but, as has been posted above, if you can live with the shortfalls of the car being delivered then so be it, however I suspect that once you've had the car a short while, the disappointment that it is not really the car you want will kick in. Can they get a LCI that you could test drive as that would be a start point for seeing whether or not you would be satisfied with the pre-LCI? Especially from the engine perspective - I suspect they may struggle with that one.
Personally I think I would be looking for a loan car (providing it was something that would be adequate for the interim period for your needs - we are heading towards winter), what about the pre-LCI on that basis?
If your happy with your current vehicle to see you through to delivery then I would be looking for them to treat that as a loan car which would ensure your trade in, and that any maintenance costs incurred as a result of the delay are met. It would also prevent any further depreciation to the value of your current car.
Tough call to make as it is something your either going to have to live with for a number of years, or do you live with the inconvenience and frustration for the next few months. Comes back to whether or not you are satisfied with the level of compensation received.
Will be interested in your decision and the reasons for it. It may help me make a call over inavailability of BMW to supply the wheels I originally ordered.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #8
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Looking at it purely from a money perspective-

1- If you take the Pre-LCI, £5000k discount= ~12% discount. What trade in would the dealer give you after 1 year ownership? What discount did you negotiate on your LCI? X3's are still in high demand so the cost of change might not be so high. You might find the Pro-Nav is an essential- and re-spec a new LCI car with different options for delivery August 2015.
2- Do the same calculation with the LCI car you've ordered. Keep it for 1 year then change for a re-spec.

You might find that after 1 year ownership you want to keep the car and not trade in.
Do the maths (cost of change)- it might help you to make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #9
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Yes its hard to do the maths but the % discount is large so worth considering, X3s are in short supply and a well spec'd one will certain hold its value, so as Phil says if get that one you can still trade it in for you spec later....

cc3 makes a point but since you were amending a previous order I think you might struggle to push the dealer to give you a car for a year for nothing, so you would need to still do the maths if you can get a fixed trading from them.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
stevemdaw
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0 MSport

First off, many many thanks for the constructive advice. It's really appreciated.

After spending another couple of hours at the dealers today, I eventually signed to buy the showroom model. I tried to negotiate a situation where I would reorder the correct model, and somehow not incur any further expense ( either by guaranteeing my part-ex and maintenance costs or via loan cars) but we couldn't come to an agreement on this. I'd already decided that the best alternative was the showroom model and after they agreed to throw in a service pack I agreed. I also noted that there were plenty of people asking about the showroom model whilst I was there which gave me a good feeling about its resale value.
I like Phils ideas of keeping it for a while, and then changing up to a new model when delivery times are less. I simply couldn't wait another 7 months for a new car, I do high mileage and my car is getting to the point where it's costing more, and besides that I'm simply too impatient.
I realise I may be frustrated when I see a new model on the road, but hopefully I can turn it round and simply think that I've managed to get a cracking deal on an already outstanding vehicle.
After signing, I was talking to the sales guy, he told me that 2% is the max discount they are giving on the new model now as they are selling their allocation so easily. They lost 2 potential sales yesterday because people wanted 5% off.

So there we go, not the 24 hours I had planned, thanks again to you all.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #11
plymjack
United Kingdom
Rep

Well done sounds like sound reasoning, hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours...
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Re-order and get the dealership to get onto BMW UK to find you a slot for build in the next month.. their cock up, their problem, they need to fix it.

and while you are at it, tell them you will only accept the price given for your current car as at Sep 1 not when the new one finally arrives, again its their fault.. if there is an issue with mileage, then tell them they need to loan you something.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Good decision, excellent discount, has majority of items why wait till 2/15. That is what I would have done. Actually maybe this mix up was a good thing.

I have seen my owners who order have many debates as to what option/pkg to get or delete. Then upon arrival invariably there is, oh I wish I did this. I am sure you will be really pleased. Thanks for the expeditious update on your decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
plymjack
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Re-order and get the dealership to get onto BMW UK to find you a slot for build in the next month.. their cock up, their problem, they need to fix it.

and while you are at it, tell them you will only accept the price given for your current car as at Sep 1 not when the new one finally arrives, again its their fault.. if there is an issue with mileage, then tell them they need to loan you something.
It would have been but it was an amended order so may not been so clear cut - and if they offer to lend him a push bike? ( a nice BMW one please)!

I think they have behaved very well and he has come out with a good deal.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
plymjack
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Good decision, excellent discount, has majority of items why wait till 2/15. That is what I would have done. Actually maybe this mix up was a good thing.

I have seen my owners who order have many debates as to what option/pkg to get or delete. Then upon arrival invariably there is, oh I wish I did this. I am sure you will be really pleased. Thanks for the expeditious update on your decision.
Yes indeed - I forgot a sports steering wheel!!!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Good outcome.
I'm sure you'll enjoy your new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #17
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 LCI 2.0d X-Line

I think good outcome too. And the great thing is you will be getting your car imminently now!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #18
Northandy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d M Sport

Sounds like a good outcome.

Interesting on the discounts as I managed just under 10% off for a car delivered in January 15 through a broker, but that deal seems to have gone now.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 07:05 AM   #19
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Just reading the thread and I would have been going down the showroom model route - then I saw your outcome - well done!!

I don't think i could have waited so long for another and i wouldn't have been satisfied sitting in an X3 that wasn't quite what i ordered so I think you have made the best choice.

I had the option of stalling my pre LC1 delivery for 6 months and wait for the LC1 but decided against it - I got a cracking deal on my pre-LC1 and what I saved covered a raft of extras so it was a no brainer for me. I had to have the sunroof having had Freelander 2's for 6 years - i would have missed not seeing the sky if my X3 didnt have it.

Whilst the LC1 engine and interior is improved I still not 100% convinced on the revised headlamps - i know i am probably in the minority but i think the pre-LC1 front end looks more aggressive...
      08-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #20
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

I doubt you'd have had a replacement by Feb 2015. I ordered in May 14 and have a delivery date of mid Jan 2015. I can't help thinking others are being fobbed off by dealers when they order in July and get told October ... we saw all these dealer fibs with the original F25.

Personally I'd have taken the LCI as delivered but if your heart was set on the sunroof/towbar then you've made the right choice with the showroom model. My pre-LCI model is coming up to 3 years old and has been faultless apart from a minor niggle with RDS on the radio which still doesn't retune properly.

I've been so impressed I've ordered another X3.