BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
HMH27MontegoX3
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego Blue X3

X3 sunroof rattle

New-Bee member. Just bought a clean '07 with 35k miles. One irritating problem: there's a rattle in the sunroof when the cover is open & sunroof closed. Happens everytime sharp bumps are hit (like small potholes or the centerline reflectors). I'm looking for some help to diagnose this ... and fixes.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
warranty?
sounds like an adjustment
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
HMH27MontegoX3
Rep

Warranty expired end of Jan 2011. It's my problem to deal with....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
Navacellus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91; 1999 E36/8

Not sure if it is the same or related, I have experienced major squeeks almost like a styrofoam cooler when you dont have something on the lid to keep it quiet. Dealer just replaced the gasket (body half) to cure wind noise, not sure if it also fixed the squeek as i have not ridden in it (wifes X3) since the work was done.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
HMH27MontegoX3
Rep

Interesting ... because I sense that there's more wind noise than there should be too. So now the quest is to find a video from someone who has replaced the rubber gasket. Thx for that info!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMH27MontegoX3 View Post
Interesting ... because I sense that there's more wind noise than there should be too. So now the quest is to find a video from someone who has replaced the rubber gasket. Thx for that info!
I hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
HMH27MontegoX3
Rep

rs6655, thank you for this information. Good stuff!! I will certainly give it a try. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
Evlengr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 MT X3 and 2010 MT MCS

You can ask for the "Goodwill Policy" to be used. This extends the warranty and allows the dealer to bill back BMWNA for the cost of service.

This is a very common problem and if they fight you on it go to another dealer who might want your future business.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
HMH27MontegoX3
Rep

Thank you for that suggestion Evlengr.

OK, time to VENT. Here's what I went through over this problem:

I called my local dealer (United BMW - Roswell GA) to schedule warranty repair on this sunroof rattle. They informed me that the X3's warranty had expired THE PREVIOUS DAY. I took the X3 to them and they indeed diagnosed the problem as two defective seals that needed replacement, BUT they REFUSED to perform any goodwill work. So I called BMW NA to file a request for repair under warranty. Within the hour I received a call back from what could have been a ROBOT. This Corporate Customer Care Manager (Marlin Mullins) had a tone & attitude that made my skin curl. Purely emotionless. She goes on to tell me that BMW NA has absolutely no interest in providing ANY form of assistance to fix my X3 problem. So I ask "please give me the name of your BMW NA VP of Customer Service." Her response "consumers are not privy to any corporate-level names or contact info." And with that she said that the discussion was over, said her nasty "thank you for calling BMW NA" and hung up!!!!! So that's what it's like to deal with BMW NA.

Guys and Gals, my X3 was TWELVE HOURS out of warranty (with only 35k miles)!!!!!!!!!!

I am here to tell you that I am telling this story to EVERYBODY THAT I CAN. Pay top dollar for that BMW product, but be prepared to have QUALITY ISSUES that the DEALER and BMW NA will turn their backs on you. I have MANY MANY MANY "BMW-level status" friends that trust my opinion .... I'm certain that my campaign will even the score 100 or 1000 times over with lost sales down the road. Maybe this is why there's an abundance of LEXUS products in our area??!!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for that suggestion Evlengr.

OK, time to VENT. Here's what I went through over this problem:

I called my local dealer (United BMW - Roswell GA) to schedule warranty repair on this sunroof rattle. They informed me that the X3's warranty had expired THE PREVIOUS DAY. I took the X3 to them and they indeed diagnosed the problem as two defective seals that needed replacement, BUT they REFUSED to perform any goodwill work. So I called BMW NA to file a request for repair under warranty. Within the hour I received a call back from what could have been a ROBOT. This Corporate Customer Care Manager (Marlin Mullins) had a tone & attitude that made my skin curl. Purely emotionless. She goes on to tell me that BMW NA has absolutely no interest in providing ANY form of assistance to fix my X3 problem. So I ask "please give me the name of your BMW NA VP of Customer Service." Her response "consumers are not privy to any corporate-level names or contact info." And with that she said that the discussion was over, said her nasty "thank you for calling BMW NA" and hung up!!!!! So that's what it's like to deal with BMW NA.

Guys and Gals, my X3 was TWELVE HOURS out of warranty (with only 35k miles)!!!!!!!!!!

I am here to tell you that I am telling this story to EVERYBODY THAT I CAN. Pay top dollar for that BMW product, but be prepared to have QUALITY ISSUES that the DEALER and BMW NA will turn their backs on you. I have MANY MANY MANY "BMW-level status" friends that trust my opinion .... I'm certain that my campaign will even the score 100 or 1000 times over with lost sales down the road. Maybe this is why there's an abundance of LEXUS products in our area??!!
I totally understand your frustration but I'm not surprised that they refused. Had you bought it new they probably would have covered it no problem.

Here are the details of the program:

REASON FOR PROGRAM
This program provides a tool for the center to build customer confidence during a difficult or unusual
situation. The goal is to exceed customer expectations and provide increased satisfaction along with
product loyalty leading to repeat sales.
This program considers that decisions made on the spot, at the center with the customer, have a greater
opportunity to deliver the above objectives than those made after escalation and delays.
ELIGIBILITY
When determining the customer's eligibility for goodwill participation, several factors are
important including the cost of the repair, how long ago the warranty expired, has the vehicle
been fully maintained, is this a multi-BMW owner, condition of the vehicle, has the customer
endured unusual hardship, and will investing in the customer keep the customer within the BMW
brand.
Please remember that goodwill customer assistance is discretionary and not an obligation. The decision
to participate requires good judgment by the service advisor and center manager.
All claims submitted under this program are subject to periodic audit.
REPAIR RELATED GOODWILL
Time and mileage are factors limiting BMW NA participation as follows:
***56256;***56442; Up to and including 18 months beyond the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or up to 75, 000 miles,
whichever occurs first, BMW NA will participate up to 100% of the total repair cost.
Only repairs that would have been covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the New
SAV Limited Warranty are eligible under this program except as noted otherwise in this bulletin.
In-warranty vehicles or non-warranty repairs are not eligible for "Self-Authorization"except as
noted otherwise.
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the New SAV Limited Warranty begin on the date of first retail
sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is
earlier. Vehicles previously in Demonstrator service receive no additional months of coverage under this
program.
Add-on repairs do not constitute a customer request for assistance even when properly approved
by center management and are excluded from eligibility in this program.
The vehicle must be a U.S. specification vehicle imported by BMW NA or sold through the BMW NA
European Delivery Program or BMW Military Purchase Program.
Centers will be reimbursed for goodwill repairs at the center's established warranty rate. The entire
repair will be at warranty rates if BMW NA is paying any portion of the repair.
Note: Any remaining customer portion of the repair should be charged at warranty rates.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
HMH27MontegoX3
Rep

Thank you for posting that document rs6655. Very interesting reading.

Contrary to the intent of this program to build BMW ownership satisfaction and loyalty, BMW has successfully aliented me from ever buying another one of their cars & they have turned me into an anti-BMW spokesperson .... all over a $426 issue ($426 retail cost .... BMW cost???probably $150.).

I have 5 cars in the driveway. Two American (Jeep & Tahoe Z71), Two Japanese (Lexus GX470 & Nissan 350Z Roadster), and the X3. My daughter drives the X3 and is in LOVE with the color (Montego Blue) .... otherwise I'd replace it with a Japanese SUV in a heartbeat!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for posting that document rs6655. Very interesting reading.

Contrary to the intent of this program to build BMW ownership satisfaction and loyalty, BMW has successfully aliented me from ever buying another one of their cars & they have turned me into an anti-BMW spokesperson .... all over a $426 issue ($426 retail cost .... BMW cost???probably $150.).

I have 5 cars in the driveway. Two American (Jeep & Tahoe Z71), Two Japanese (Lexus GX470 & Nissan 350Z Roadster), and the X3. My daughter drives the X3 and is in LOVE with the color (Montego Blue) .... otherwise I'd replace it with a Japanese SUV in a heartbeat!
I understand completely. Our son used to sell Subaru's. Might I suggest the Tribeca. http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/tribeca/index.html It's a very nice vehicle and had it not been a little short on legroom we would very likely be driving one ourselves.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
Evlengr
Private
United_States
Rep

Personally I would have fun with it. 3M makes a paint that is for sporting events (football games and the like). I would paint a nice big lemon on it and why. Then park it in front of the dealership on a Sat. Take a pic and send it to BMWNA, the Dealer and every BMW website around . It washes off with soap and water, but not water.

Let them know that you have set aside several hours every week to park the vehicle near their dealerships and eat your lunch.

But I like a good fight now and then
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
HMH27MontegoX3
Rep

I like the "in your face" attitude Evlenger!

As much fun as that would be, I really don't have the time. I am quite certain that my approach to "preach" the treatment I received from BMW NA and the local dealership to all my business contacts, neighbors and friends will provide an impact that will satisfy my needs!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 03:56 AM   #15
Evlengr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like the "in your face" attitude Evlenger!

As much fun as that would be, I really don't have the time. I am quite certain that my approach to "preach" the treatment I received from BMW NA and the local dealership to all my business contacts, neighbors and friends will provide an impact that will satisfy my needs!
Can always photo shop it and show them how potentially fun it would be

BMWNA has a service that scans all the big websites. Without going overboard you can make yourself known and cause a ruckus that way too.

However, it walks the "whiney" line when you do. Don't want to alienate the folks that will help.

I am really really surprised they took that approach with you. I would write a letter stating exactly what you were told and how they told you to BMWNA corporate.

BMWNA can be real (insert expletive here) but the person you dealt with was above the norm. I may still have a VP's address from my past fight. I will check for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not trying to defend BMW and I have no affiliation with them but here is my take on the situation.

The bottom line with goodwill repairs is that if they think it will get you to buy a new or CPO from BMW at a later date they'll be more inclined to do it. If they don't see any benefit to them then they won't. If you had bought it from United (new or CPO) we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

You may be the one person that would have come back at a later date and bought a BMW. But there are many, many, more that are just looking to get BMW to fix a car that they bought used somewhere else and heard about the goodwill program. BMW has to draw the line somwhere or they would be taken for chumps and go broke fixing used BMW's for free.

A bad sunroof seal is a time issue so low mileage doesn't matter. If the car has been parked in the searing Atlanta sun since it got off the boat then a bad seal is not unheard of. My X3 is only outside when I'm driving it for this very reason. Otherwise it stays out of the elements in my garage.

If you want to try to fix it yourself I found some info you might find helpful:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=496666

Part numbers can be found here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...id=49511&hg=54

The factory shop manual calls for Terokal 2444.

http://loctite.fast.de/no/Teroson/Terokal-2444.htm
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
HMH27MontegoX3
Rep

I understand the business side of your explanation. But to draw the line in the sand with a car that's 12 hrs out of warranty??! The X3 has not been sun baked. It was a garaged vehicle, used as a 3rd vehicle for the family. Thus the 35k miles on an '07.

Consider this. Let's say the BMW Corporate Customer Service manager gets in her car to drive home today. She's cruising down the street at 46 miles per hour .... but the speed limit is 45 mph. A cop catches her on radar and writes her a ticket for speeding. DO YOU THINK SHE'D BE IRRATE??!! But how could she be? She exceeded the speed limit. That's BLACK & WHITE mentality. Now think about my 35k mile X3 that was 12 hrs out of warranty......

Thank you for the links. They look to be quite helpful. I appreciate your comments!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I understand the business side of your explanation. But to draw the line in the sand with a car that's 12 hrs out of warranty??! The X3 has not been sun baked. It was a garaged vehicle, used as a 3rd vehicle for the family. Thus the 35k miles on an '07.

Consider this. Let's say the BMW Corporate Customer Service manager gets in her car to drive home today. She's cruising down the street at 46 miles per hour .... but the speed limit is 45 mph. A cop catches her on radar and writes her a ticket for speeding. DO YOU THINK SHE'D BE IRRATE??!! But how could she be? She exceeded the speed limit. That's BLACK & WHITE mentality. Now think about my 35k mile X3 that was 12 hrs out of warranty......

Thank you for the links. They look to be quite helpful. I appreciate your comments!
I absolutely understand your position. I'd probably be upset as well.

I hope you get things worked out so you can enjoy the car. When they are they way they're supposed to be they are a very enjoyable vehicle. Good luck.
Appreciate 0