BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2021, 05:04 AM   #1
silver82
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

X3 smell into the cabin

Hello,

We bought a new x3 20i back in December and since week 1 I could identify a strange smell coming through the air vents to the point that sometimes I felt unwell.

It appears that the smell is obvious when I have driven the car for few miles (15 or more minutes of driving) and then I stop for example at a traffic lights and then it blows in. When it also happens the engine shuts off and you can hear the air con power decreases. It strange to explain the smell, is definitely chemical but it doesn't smell like oil or plastic.
I had the car for weeks on dealer who tried to do a smoke bomb test to see if it is from exhaust and they also replaced the air microfilter.

Another garage told me that it might be from some kind of heating element in air-condition system which kicks in when the engine intermediate shuts off but they are unsure if that system is in my car.

I cannot smell anything when the air is shutoff and it is less obvious when the start/stop engine is disabled.

It is very uncomfortable as a smell and I am also unsure whether is safe with a 2 years old in the car.

Any ideas? Or should I focus of rejecting the car as it is a brand new and the dealer have tried for weeks to sort it out unsuccessfully.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:56 AM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

So the BMW dealer acknowledges there is an unusual smell, but is unable to identify the cause nor correct the problem? if that is the case perhaps another look from a different BMW dealer would be worth a go.....or "reject" the car as you mentioned and request a replacement vehicle, tho I expect that may prove to be a less than desirable process.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #3
wxm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 X3

Does it smell when the heater is on or AC? or both?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 04:36 AM   #4
Msportdriver1
Rep
Drives: X3 35d M sport

Raise a complaint to BMW HQ and state you will be rejecting the car if its not sorted in 7 days . This should induce your dealer to get the issue resolved or better still replace the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:11 AM   #5
silver82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxm View Post
Does it smell when the heater is on or AC? or both?
both
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:14 AM   #6
silver82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msportdriver1 View Post
Raise a complaint to BMW HQ and state you will be rejecting the car if its not sorted in 7 days . This should induce your dealer to get the issue resolved or better still replace the vehicle.
I raised the complaint with BMW financial services and the dealer but also Customer Services. Customer Services said that they are not the responsible party to approve or reject rejections. The dealer will try to add another part (I believe they said something like a pump) as they believe now that the smell might come from the differentiator oil and I will try again to see if it is fixed next week..another week..without the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
wxm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver82 View Post
I raised the complaint with BMW financial services and the dealer but also Customer Services. Customer Services said that they are not the responsible party to approve or reject rejections. The dealer will try to add another part (I believe they said something like a pump) as they believe now that the smell might come from the differentiator oil and I will try again to see if it is fixed next week..another week..without the car.
I went down this route years ago with Nissan Corp 10+ years ago. Kind of wasting time... Hope you have better luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 12:44 PM   #8
ImpressionS
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (F25)

if its not the cabin filter could be the fan? or something stuck in the tubes?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 09:21 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver82 View Post
Hello,

We bought a new x3 20i back in December and since week 1 I could identify a strange smell coming through the air vents to the point that sometimes I felt unwell.
Not that this answers your question, but this forum is for F25 X3 models and since yours is new, you have a G01 X3 model. Maybe ask the question in the G01 where someone with the same model as you might have experienced the same problem

FWIW, if it where mine, I'd get a loner from the dealer and leave your defective vehicle with them until the issue is resolved. You could be breathing toxic fumes since it makes you feel unwell.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #10
silver82
Private
Rep

Just an update. BMW accepted rejection. Dealer never found what it was.
Appreciate 1