BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

saphire black or carbon black

Hey you guys, I know at the end of the day its just an opinion and preference, but can I have your insights on those two colors, also what's so special about the shadowline trim? thank you for your input.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
thrasher-b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2012 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Carbon black is, in my opinion, hands down the best production car paint color I have seen. You absolutely must see it in person - pictures do not capture it at all. At first glance the car looks black and then you notice the blue showing through in the bright sunlight. However, you can only get carbon black if you pay for the M-sport package.

I had sapphire black metallic on my 330 and it is an excellent choice, but a distant 2nd to carbon black. In low light the car looks black, but in sunlight you see the metallic shimmer. I also think BMW got the names of these two colors backwards - carbon black is deep blue (sapphire) and sapphire black shows graphite tones (carbon).

As for the shadowline trim, I think it looks great with carbon black or black sapphire - but I don't think it looks very good with most of the lighter colors, except alpine white. It is a gloss black finish on the window trim instead of the unfinished rubber window seals on the base model.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher-b View Post
Carbon black is, in my opinion, hands down the best production car paint color I have seen. You absolutely must see it in person - pictures do not capture it at all. At first glance the car looks black and then you notice the blue showing through in the bright sunlight. However, you can only get carbon black if you pay for the M-sport package.

I had sapphire black metallic on my 330 and it is an excellent choice, but a distant 2nd to carbon black. In low light the car looks black, but in sunlight you see the metallic shimmer. I also think BMW got the names of these two colors backwards - carbon black is deep blue (sapphire) and sapphire black shows graphite tones (carbon).

As for the shadowline trim, I think it looks great with carbon black or black sapphire - but I don't think it looks very good with most of the lighter colors, except alpine white. It is a gloss black finish on the window trim instead of the unfinished rubber window seals on the base model.
cool thanks for your insights thrasher-b will definitely to carbon black in person, also I'm taking the M-package regardless
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I was up in the air with respect to AW or Carbon Black. My wife wanted AW... guess what colour we got?

The CB is beautiful...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

I have both on my drive- Carbon Black X3 and it's little brother a Black Sapphire 1 Series hatch.

It's no contest- Carbon Black is my favourite of the two by far. It has a depth and edge to it that the Black Sapphire lacks and looks altogether more premium. I love it especially in the morning and evening light which is when I drive the car most. Furthermore the Black Sapphire looks charcoal most of the time especially in poor weather.
      05-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #6
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

I had a 2007 black sapphire X3 and my current ride is a carbon black 35i. Obviously a matter of personal preference but the carbon black feels more special and has more interest with the way light plays off of it. I love it. Both colors are quite difficult to keep clean.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Carbon black looks deep blue most of the time, more so than sapphire looks grey. If you want a deep blue car then get Carbon Black - it is a very good colour. Aside from keeping both colours clean.....CB is near impossible to paint match if a repair is needed, sapphire is much easier. Colours which change massively depending on the light will never paint match well.
      05-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

I think the Carbon Black looks great, went to a Dealer and viewed an X5 which and a 3 series and they all looked very nice.
I have to admit the Sapphire Black also looks good and they really are two different colours, you could almost say the Carbon Black is Bluey/Black rather than purely Black.
I was going to choose between this and Alpine White for my M-Sport X3 but in the end selected the Alpine White so I could purchase some more options. Best of luck on your choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport 35i

My wife and I have seen both the carbon and sapphire black and we both chose the sapphire. The carbon is just too blue in my opinion. Plus, I've had dark blue/black cars before and I've always wished they were more black since most of the times they look blue. They really only look great when they start looking more black.

Don't be fooled by most of the pictures on here that show carbon black as well. The pictures always show them looking more black than anything else but in real life it looks more blue for sure than black ...only in low light will it start looking black.

I would definitely say see it in person before making a decision. Seeing it in person made the choice for us. Maybe if we never had a blue/black car before we could consider carbon black more

[Black Sapphire/Oyster/Wave Wood: ZPP/ZTP/ZCW/ZCX/ZDH/ZPS/ZMP/6NR]
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
etelbot
ZitoHellada
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 35i Msport

I'm biased as I went carbon black. I think for the extra metallic cost the they charge, the carbon black looks somewhat more sophisticated and more worth the $$$. It's almost as if you'r getting two colors for the price of one.
      05-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
No regrets with Carbon Black here...my old X5 4.8is was Black Sapphire. Both will be high maintenance. Don't believe BMW has very good paint with regards to durability, and black ampflies the challenge (although both will be superior to Jet Black).
      05-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
jmcbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 X-drive 30i

If I ordered the M-Sport would have likely chosen Carbon Black over the Black Sapphire that I did (Sport Activity Pkg). The Carbon Black is very unique and gives the vehicle a special, exclusive touch imo
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

In case you are interested, here are the breakdowns for colour choices of UK 2013 X3s.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
In case you are interested, here are the breakdowns for colour choices of UK 2013 X3s.

Cool charts ...black sapphire is popular for sure and it ties in the M with carbon black....at least in the UK ..wonder what the charts are for the U.S.

[Black Sapphire/Oyster/Wave Wood: ZPP/ZTP/ZCW/ZCX/ZDH/ZPS/ZMP/6NR]
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingX View Post
Cool charts ...black sapphire is popular for sure and it ties in the M with carbon black....at least in the UK ..wonder what the charts are for the U.S.
I have loads more stats on the UK Orders thread, but I have only done it for UK spec vehicles.

We only represent 1-2% or production.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I was up in the air with respect to AW or Carbon Black. My wife wanted AW... guess what colour we got?

The CB is beautiful...
I think AW is beautiful with the M-package and it's my first choice on the X3 but my 3 previous cars since 2007 were white and I really need a change unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thank you for all the insights I really appreciate every response, In all honesty jet black would've been my favorite but I can't get it with M pack, second would've been AW but not this time for the reasons mentioned in the previous post, thank you for the paint matching comment, something to consider. Next week I'll make my decision based on visuals and ofcourse the wife.
Appreciate 0