BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
KF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 30D

Garage List
New 30D X3

Hi all

Picked up the X3 Friday the 17th.

First fill today including about 100km driving in Melbourne 717 km took 53.3 litters to fill.

The trip computer for todays 375 km showed 7.1 liters per 100km. Runing on cruise control most of the out of city stuff at the legal limit of 110kph.

The Dunlop Maxx Sport GT tyres ride well with lots of grip, will buy an extra rim and run with the run flat tyres but carry the fifth rim when ever away from home.

Very happy with the white colour and beige trim. the only extra's over standard Australian trim was the Xenon lights. With handling this good why would you go to the variable suspension?

One negative, the cruise control cannot handle the endless changing Australian speed limits. Rough on the slow downs. Last car we had could just drop the speed 20Kph and the car would slow down OK, the X3 is difficult to drop 20Kph and the brakes come on in the process. Takes several presses of the speed reduce button to get the right speed.

KF
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Congrats, pictures please, good MPG too.
      02-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Jan van Zyl
Private First Class
Namibia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D

If you press the cruise control button "through" to the "end-stop" - speed will increase-/decrease with 5 or 10km/h increments. You can also combine with 1'st pushing gear lever into "D/S" mode - which will give some characteristic diesel engine braking. Congratulations and do enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Jan van Zyl,

I get the impression KF doesn't like the abrupt deceleration because of the brake application when the speed is reduced.

An option might be to disable the cruise and let the car decelerate to the new speed then reset the cruise.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

KF - congrads on the car. The 30d engine just gets better and better. After 10,000 km we're now getting down to 6.6 l/100km on the long trips. Indicating a total long distance range of 1,050-1,100 km. I'm very happy.

On the speed reduction with the cruise control. You can either decrease (or indeed also increase) your set speed in steps by either 1 km/h or 10 km/h depending on how hard you push/pull the toggle thingy. While I agree the braking on speed reductions can be a bit unnerving, I've now got used to it and now of course only adjust the speed limit down when I actually get to the speed reduction sign. But as Ibjgh has suggested, you can always turn the CC off and let the speed drift down and re-set it at your desired speed.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #6
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Good milage. Hope mine will do the same but I guess it depends on how you drive it
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
KF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 30D

Garage List
While I agree the braking on speed reductions can be a bit unnerving, I've now got used to it and now of course only adjust the speed limit down when I actually get to the speed reduction sign. But as Ibjgh has suggested, you can always turn the CC off and let the speed drift down and re-set it at your desired speed.

Tony[/QUOTE]

Hi all

Drove my sons ten year old utility yesterday, the cruise control is a match for the X3!!

The second indent gets any speed!! Plus it changes a smooth drive in to a rough one. I will raise the issue with our dealer as it may be faulty. Yes the only way to get a smooth slow down is to disengage the CC and select again at the right speed!! Just like we used to do ten years ago.

Most modern CC's have smooth reduction of one or ten kph at a single touch.

Most of the X3 controls and features work in an excellent manner, but they are a long way behind the best cruise controls!

KF

KF
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

KF,

realised I may have mislead you a little about the cruise control. The first notch is for increments of 1 km/h. However, the second notch will not increase/descrease by 10 km/h, but rather (or at least it should) take you up/down to the nearest multiple of 10km/h. ie if you are on 75km/h and you take it down using the second notch, it will only go to 70 km/h - flick it again and it will go down to 60 km/h etc.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
bayareajimmy
Rep
Drives: 325i

Congrats! Very good MPG for a new car, will get better. Pix please....
I would vary the speed for the first few hundred miles for the drive train to breaking in properly.
Appreciate 0