BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #133
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Guys,
Why do you think that this option "ZOX" should change?

Here it is listed recently on page 7:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/attac...3&d=1297138100
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #134
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E91; '12 Z4 35i

I just ordered a 328i X-Drive Sportwagon with NAV. My CA called me today to tell me about the BMW Apps. She admitted that she was not perfectly clear on exactly what all this would provide the user through the iDrive, but did confirm that the BMW Apps needs to be ordered with the car and the adapter needs to be installed at the dealership after the car arrives.

I am personally still fuzzy on this, but it seems that one must buy the "package" in order to utilize all the features. One thing, though, the BMW Office does not work with the iPhone. This is (for example) where the emails can be read on the NAV screen and the car's text to speech function will actually read the email out loud. I find that to be really exciting and quite useful. But again - it doesn't work with the iPhone. ODD!

Anyone else have any more clarity on all of this?

Doug
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #135
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

If you want all of the functionality now and later, order 6NR. The initial three major features are listed in several places. To utilize some of the 6NR features, it will require a snap in adapter for your model iPhone, which will be sold at dealers.

As far as the Office functionality, the iPhone cannot perform most of those features and probably has something to do with BMW initially focusing "business" related integration development with Blackberry, before the iPhone increased it corporate footprint. BMW now appears to be pretty heavily in bed with Apple and hopefully that new tighter integration (6NR) can also provide the email/calendar capability currently touted for some Blackberries and missing for almost every other phone
      02-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #136
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post

As far as the Office functionality, the iPhone cannot perform most of those features and probably has something to do with BMW initially focusing "business" related integration development with Blackberry, before the iPhone increased it corporate footprint. BMW now appears to be pretty heavily in bed with Apple and hopefully that new tighter integration (6NR) can also provide the email/calendar capability currently touted for some Blackberries and missing for almost every other phone
It's got nothing to do with BMW. Simply that the iphone doesn't support newer versions of Bluetooth profiles.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #137
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

The latest BMW bulletin with more 6NR info:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=191
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #138
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
And finally, after all the speculation, the LAST line of the bulletin contains the words we have all been asking about:

"Note: It will not be possible to retrofit 6NR on vehicles produced prior to 03/11 (04/11 for X models)."

At least now we have our answer about retrofitting...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #139
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I don't like that line. I'll remain in denial, at least for now . . .
      02-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #140
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
Do your dealer know when Canadian order system will be updated for the 6NR/ZOX option?
I don't know... I doubt he will know.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #141
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
And finally, after all the speculation, the LAST line of the bulletin contains the words we have all been asking about:

"Note: It will not be possible to retrofit 6NR on vehicles produced prior to 03/11 (04/11 for X models)."

At least now we have our answer about retrofitting...
Do you really think so? I don't see this as any more credible than anything that has gone before. I would wait until April/May and see what becomes available as an accessory.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #142
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Do you really think so? I don't see this as any more credible than anything that has gone before. I would wait until April/May and see what becomes available as an accessory.
Worst case scenario, the retrofit guys on the forums will offer a retrofit ...

Maybe a new combox will be needed, new wiring, new base plate, purchase FSC code to enable the 6NR option, change vehicle configuration, finally coding ...

It will be possible ... just unfortunate right now, BMW (at least in the USA) is not offering it. Sadly I had a feeling this would be the case, simply from the way they have behaved in the past with tech upgrades.

We've all been burned in the past by them.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #143
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Worst case scenario, the retrofit guys on the forums will offer a retrofit ...

Maybe a new combox will be needed, new wiring, new base plate, purchase FSC code to enable the 6NR option, change vehicle configuration, finally coding ...

It will be possible ... just unfortunate right now, BMW (at least in the USA) is not offering it. Sadly I had a feeling this would be the case, simply from the way they have behaved in the past with tech upgrades.

We've all been burned in the past by them.
Anyone would think they'd like you to buy a new BMW from them every year

Will be interesting to see what happens with this one one way or another. I am still optimistic but I'm new to BMW so it's likely misplaced optimism.

I have forwarded this latest bulletin onto the guy at BMW UK for comment.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #144
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

You might be still ok in the UK. Just because BMW USA released the statement, this is for the USA market only.

Consider in the past BMW have sometimes only released retrofits for the European market. Historically, this wasn't so much a problem for folks wanting to consider it for their USA cars.

However, since BMW introduced their new software coding for their more recent electrical architecture ... everything is pretty much locked down. A car can only receive a software upgrade if its allowed to. Thats for existing ECUs as well as ones that you add to the bus. This is all determined by the vehicle order, that's unique to your cars VIN#. The idea is, it allows BMW to know exactly how your car is configured and what software (and hardware for that matter) should be in the car at any time.

On the hardware side, if a unauthorized ECU is in the car, the car diagnostic system will then throw an error code.

This is all a simplification ... but hopefully you guys get the idea .. that "its just a software update" .. means much more in the background.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #145
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
You might be still ok in the UK. Just because BMW USA released the statement, this is for the USA market only.

Consider in the past BMW have sometimes only released retrofits for the European market. Historically, this wasn't so much a problem for folks wanting to consider it for their USA cars.

However, since BMW introduced their new software coding for their more recent electrical architecture ... everything is pretty much locked down. A car can only receive a software upgrade if its allowed to. Thats for existing ECUs as well as ones that you add to the bus. This is all determined by the vehicle order, that's unique to your cars VIN#. The idea is, it allows BMW to know exactly how your car is configured and what software (and hardware for that matter) should be in the car at any time.

On the hardware side, if a unauthorized ECU is in the car, the car diagnostic system will then throw an error code.

This is all a simplification ... but hopefully you guys get the idea .. that "its just a software update" .. means much more in the background.
I'm beginning to realise that!

Thanks for the info. Very interesting and I hadn't looked at it that way at all. I will feel very guilty if it becomes available but only in Europe!

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #146
Bimmer Bertie
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe 325i

Configured my X3 options today. The dealer was aware of iPhone apps but wasn't sure of the option. Scrolling down the list 6NR - Mobile Application Preparation - £130 -- was available. When we chose a pop window came saying option 6NF -- Telephone USB audio interface - £70 -- was needed to proceed. I had already chosen Prof Media package but despite having it I needed to add the 6NF to proceed with having 6NR. So all in all it cost me an extra £200. I wanted the 6NR not for updating my fbk status while driving or tweeting (which adds a whole new meaning to hands free driving) but because of future potential... Due to probs with retro fitting I opted having this now... so may end up £200 well spent or as a donation to BMW coffers

As for iPhone cradle didn't discuss this as currently have a 3GS with contract finishing in July -- most likly to end up with iPhone 5 so will have to see what's available then.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #147
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Bertie View Post
Configured my X3 options today. The dealer was aware of iPhone apps but wasn't sure of the option. Scrolling down the list 6NR - Mobile Application Preparation - £130 -- was available. When we chose a pop window came saying option 6NF -- Telephone USB audio interface - £70 -- was needed to proceed. I had already chosen Prof Media package but despite having it I needed to add the 6NF to proceed with having 6NR. So all in all it cost me an extra £200. I wanted the 6NR not for updating my fbk status while driving or tweeting (which adds a whole new meaning to hands free driving) but because of future potential... Due to probs with retro fitting I opted having this now... so may end up £200 well spent or as a donation to BMW coffers

As for iPhone cradle didn't discuss this as currently have a 3GS with contract finishing in July -- most likly to end up with iPhone 5 so will have to see what's available then.
I think that online configurator is wrong. You shouldn't have to pay the extra £70 because as you said, Pro Multimedia already includes 6NF. The UK website has had loads of mistakes on it in the past and I think this is a mistake.

Re. iPhone 5, the iPhone 4 snap-in adaptor has only just become available so you might be in for a long wait if BMW take as long to produce an adapter for the iPhone 5. An iPhone 4 adapter may work with an iPhone 5 but not only will any change in shape stop this, someone tried a 3G with a modified iPhone 4 adaptor and the car still rejected it (it's not just a physical match up)

You will also need a media snap-in adapter (£135) to use 6NR.

Surprised your dealer didn't give you a comprehensive of 6NR

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #148
Bimmer Bertie
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks sfax. Yep, I agree with your comments on 6NF. Infact the online configurator does say "comes as standard with any bluetooth option". So will get back to him tomorrow to get it sorted out. I see your point on iPhone 5....may be will give my 3GS to my wife to replace her Nokia and me settle with new iPhone 5
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #149
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Bertie View Post
Thanks sfax. Yep, I agree with your comments on 6NF. Infact the online configurator does say "comes as standard with any bluetooth option". So will get back to him tomorrow to get it sorted out. I see your point on iPhone 5....may be will give my 3GS to my wife to replace her Nokia and me settle with new iPhone 5
Both me and my wife are getting new iPhones in April so I think we're going to opt for iPhone 4 x 2 with a view to X3 compatibility.

I've no idea whether 6NR will be available to us in the future (you will be OK on a new order ). I had another email from BMW UK with a completely confused response after I sent them the US PDF saying no retrofit. Will post more details when I can get to the bottom of what the guy is talking about.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #150
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had another email from BMW UK with a completely confused response after I sent them the US PDF saying no retrofit. Will post more details when I can get to the bottom of what the guy is talking about.
Share that when you get it please, sfax. That John guy was so sure, it will be interesting to see what transpired.
      02-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #151
Bimmer Bertie
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi sfax...had a chat with my dealer regarding the 6NF...he was quite sure it wasn't a glitch and that 6NF needed to be included to have 6NR...the option codes included in the Prof Media package were 6NL, 609, 612 & 616. Anyway I will hold fire and will keep a look out for changes in online configurator...I suspect it should do so in near future as more and more of us keep choosing the 6NR and this becomes apparent. If I remember right there was a similar error when choosing alloys with runflats as standard where the charge for runflats kept get adding despite being standard. This doesn't happen any longer.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #152
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Both me and my wife are getting new iPhones in April so I think we're going to opt for iPhone 4 x 2 with a view to X3 compatibility.

I've no idea whether 6NR will be available to us in the future (you will be OK on a new order ). I had another email from BMW UK with a completely confused response after I sent them the US PDF saying no retrofit. Will post more details when I can get to the bottom of what the guy is talking about.
Apple is due for a refreshed iPhone this summer, so it might behoove you to wait a few months to see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #153
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Apple is due for a refreshed iPhone this summer, so it might behoove you to wait a few months to see what happens.
The problem with that is the ridiculous lag on cradle availability from BMW which will mean the iPhone 5 cradle will become available just as the new iPhone 6 is announced
      02-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #154
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
The problem with that is the ridiculous lag on cradle availability from BMW which will mean the iPhone 5 cradle will become available just as the new iPhone 6 is announced
Exactly. Wait a few months for an iPhone 5 and then wait another year before you can use it in a cradle. Brilliant.

I now have an empty iPhone 4 cradle patiently waiting to be joined in matrimony

Appreciate 0