BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

UK bluetooth

My dealer tells me that without buying the 6NH option at £280? my iPhone will not be able to bluetooth to the car. Is this true? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Only if you don't have a sat nav package. Prof definitely includes Bluetooth and I think business does too

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

i went for the bluetooth w usb option (but not voice control) - does this mean i can't use my iphone or blackberry bold with the car? no sat nav options chosen... this can't be right surely?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

I am looking at a 3.0lSE with no sat Nav or (at present) sound update. I thought a STD 3.0lSE like all UK spec X3s came with a Prodessional radio as STD? Confused!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
i went for the bluetooth w usb option (but not voice control) - does this mean i can't use my iphone or blackberry bold with the car? no sat nav options chosen... this can't be right surely?
I don't have the brochure to hand but from memory, for Bluetooth you only need the Bluetooth phone preparation option. This is included with sat nav options but sat nav isn't a prerequisite for Bluetooth. You will need a cradle that fits your phone but I think this option includes a universal connector. Ask BUK76 about required accessories for BlackBerry.

I'll post some more "real life" feedback when I get mine next month because I have found the whole phone integration bewildering

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 02:45 AM   #6
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Your blackberry should work fine via bluetooth, you only need the snap in cradle if you want to charge your blackberry (snap in cradle also boosts reception as it uses the cars aerial but can be a pain to dock in armrest each time)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

The Connected Office video on BMW USA shows the ability to have two phones (I think they said up to 4) connected via Bluetooth at the same time. One designated as primary that could make and receive calls and one designated as secondary that could only receive. One iPhone and one Blackberry. The message info came only from the primary. One of the two could be designated for music streaming.

Both couldn't be in the snap-in holder at the same time, so that seems to confirm at least that part isn't required for Bluetooth connectivity. The user swapped the "primary" phone w/o swapping the phone out of the holder, changing which one made calls and displayed calendar and message info through the Office feature.

The info blurb on the Smartphone Integration says that it allows display of album art when playing music from the device. Don't know if that means the other cable connection doesn't provide that ability, or if they both do.
      02-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Does anyone know what the Voice Control option adds on top of basic Bluetooth (so I'm talking about an X3 without one of the media packages)? I'm expecting it to be able to recognise phone favourite names but I suspect it also controls some iDrive functions. Does it include text to speech for email etc?

e.g. will I be able to access email on my Blackberry via iDrive? There is mention of several phones being connected - does this mean I could be accessing media on my iPhone at the same time? (I have both - the Blackberry for email, calendar etc and the iPhone for voice etc)

In a snap decision I ordered the voice control + bluetooth + USB option on the basis that the standard bluetooth integration may be too simple for true handsfree operation and that given the doubling in cost it probably was an order of magnitude better but I've actually got no idea whatsoever what I've actually ordered (and yeah, I'm the same guy that was grumbling about £90 for the sport steering wheel ). The prices I was getting were too good to be true so I just threw a few extra options on to get to the cost previously agreed with Mrs Tuff
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:54 AM   #9
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Your blackberry should work fine via bluetooth, you only need the snap in cradle if you want to charge your blackberry (snap in cradle also boosts reception as it uses the cars aerial but can be a pain to dock in armrest each time)
so the bluetooth w usb option doesn't come with the cradle then? that's a seperate option? does it have to be ordered at time of manufacturer or a simple snap in after delivery?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
so the bluetooth w usb option doesn't come with the cradle then? that's a seperate option? does it have to be ordered at time of manufacturer or a simple snap in after delivery?
I don't have the printed brochure to hand (and there is STILL NO PDF available ) but I'm pretty sure that it says you get a cradle included with any bluetooth option. You may need a different cradle or adapter for a specific type of phone.

If you don't, it's £72 as an accesory (snap-in adaptor)

Quote:
Snap-in adapter
A docking system suitable for current Apple, Nokia, Motorola and Sony Ericsson handsets, and for RIM BlackBerry® devices. With the interchangeable phone-specific snap-in adapter, drivers can charge their mobile phone via the mobile phone preparation with Bluetooth interface. An external aerial ensures the best possible reception at all times. For Apple iPhone 3G S and iPhone 4 handsets, a snap-in media adapter is also available. In addition to the basic functions of the snap-in adapter, this also enables music files stored on the device to be played over the vehicle's audio system, and shows the cover artwork on the control display.

Price from £72.00 *

Available for X3 from 11/10

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #11
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep

this is just plain confusing ... this adapter talks about an external aerial as well.. not even sure if we get that as part of the basic bluetooth option..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 05:43 AM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

External aerial is already built into the car.
      02-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
this is just plain confusing ... this adapter talks about an external aerial as well.. not even sure if we get that as part of the basic bluetooth option..
I agree that it is ridiculously confusing, not just to us but remarkably also to the people who work for BMW. If you have a brochure to hand then check it because I have read that the 6NF cradle is standard with any bluetooth option

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

From the UK brochure "6NF Telephone USB audio interface, includes an additional connection point for the playback of music from a mobile phone with a built in music player. See page 38 for full details. This option comes as standard with any Bluetooth option"

My reading of this is that it's just the USB port.

Page 38 doesn't do anything to clarify things because it starts to use phrases like "in conjunction with a navigation system" and what we're clearly interested in here is what you get WITHOUT nav.

Don't suppose anyone has an answer on my voice control question above?
      02-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #15
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Sick of the confusion, I have declined all overpriced bluetooth options and bought heated seats instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Sick of the confusion, I have declined all overpriced bluetooth options and bought heated seats instead.
lol Are heated seats compatible with all leather colours?!

Appreciate 0