BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #23
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Given the low-end torque with a turbo diesel, I do a lot of driving in Eco-Pro mode. On the other hand, the gas engine of the loaner provided by the dealer was not a good match with Eco-Pro. Therefore, I suspect that one forms his/her opinion based on low-rpm engine torque (or the lack thereof).
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #24
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterlooMike View Post
I just got my 2013 X3 35i this week and have actually mostly been driving it in Eco Pro. This is my first BMW and my impression is that in this mode it drives pretty much like a normal car. Its actually right in the range of the Jetta TDI it was replacing except with a smoother ride and better handling. I wouldn't call it dangerous, just a more sedate drive. I could see it being called dangerous for people who's driving style requires a high throttle response due to taking excessive risks in when to pull into traffic.

It's fine for me around town, taking the kids where ever. Anytime I feel there is a need for better acceleration or handling (before round about, entering highway etc) I just slip it into Comfort/Sport and the whole car comes alive and provides everything I need. But in general for basic driving, following the speed limit (more like 10 over) and not needing to pass everyone else I find Eco Pro plenty and provides a relaxed, smooth ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterlooMike View Post
I just got my 2013 X3 35i this week and have actually mostly been driving it in Eco Pro. This is my first BMW and my impression is that in this mode it drives pretty much like a normal car. Its actually right in the range of the Jetta TDI it was replacing except with a smoother ride and better handling. I wouldn't call it dangerous, just a more sedate drive. I could see it being called dangerous for people who's driving style requires a high throttle response due to taking excessive risks in when to pull into traffic.

It's fine for me around town, taking the kids where ever. Anytime I feel there is a need for better acceleration or handling (before round about, entering highway etc) I just slip it into Comfort/Sport and the whole car comes alive and provides everything I need. But in general for basic driving, following the speed limit (more like 10 over) and not needing to pass everyone else I find Eco Pro plenty and provides a relaxed, smooth ride.
Agreed. Car people love to couch their preferences (liking fast cars) as necessities (I need 300+ horsepower to be safe).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 05:30 AM   #25
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I had a 2011 X3 28i with the outstanding 6 cylinder engine (N52?). The performance was excellent. I made a big mistake and my 2016 28i X3 has the pathetic 4 cylinder engine. Performance is noticeably not as good as I experienced with my 2011, even in sport mode. It frequently feels like it is lugging if I leave it in the default comfort mode so, without exception, I always put it in sport mode immediately after I start it. In addition to unacceptably poor performance, the four cylinder put-puts like an expensive lawn mower when it idles and that damn automatic engine shut down is both annoying and disconcerting. I also do not understand why, in sport mode, it wont shift into the slightly more economical 8th gear when at a high steady state speed on an interstate. I made a mistake not buying the 35i and, as a result, I am not at all happy with my X3 because of the 4 cylinder engine. I just don't perceive someone spending $60K on a new BMW wants all those annoying performance compromises (including the sound of it) for a minimal improvement in economy. I have had BMWs since my 1988 E30 M3 and this is the first one I am unhappy with.
I am using tunerwerks tuning module on my 2013. Much peppier than the stock 2011 in our family , but it does feel the N52 gets better fuel economy when driven the same way
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #26
WaterlooMike
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive35i

Changed my mind

So after running mostly Eco Pro for the last week, I ended up with a fairly dismal fuel rating of 14L/100km (16.8 mpg) in almost entirely city driving.

So I decided to run a test and compare against just leaving it in Comfort. I'm only 1 day in and so far seeing a big difference. 12.5L/100km (18.8 mpg). No difference in driving style, distances, traffic, destinations, time of day etc.

So while I don't have a major issue with the concept of Eco Pro (reduce throttle etc), I am not going to spend more gas in order to drive it like that. If my consumption ends up spiking I might revisit it (also need to run a long highway test - got a 1200km all highway round trip coming up) but I'm defaulting to Comfort from now on.
Appreciate 0