BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2023, 02:16 PM   #1
tundra_desert
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci, F25 X3, G01 X3

Cannot Unlock Doors; Even With Mechanical Key

I recently broke down after experiencing electrical issues related to a battery.

Parked the car in a garage, locked the doors, and had my spouse collect me.

Returned later and could not unlock the doors, even using the mechanical key within the fob. The tumbler rotates left and right, but the knob/pull pin does not move.

What are my options? Anyone tried a slim jim or access tool on a F25?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 10:34 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you’ve never used the mechanical lock…it may need some lubrication after years of non use. The mechanical lock should ALWAYS work and should also be maintained since it’s the only way into the car if electrical power is lost.

If you have some spray lubricant that has a straw…stick the straw into the lock…then insert the mechanical key and twist it left/right to hopefully loosen up things…then give it a try to see if the door unlocks. Remember to turn the key COUNTER CLOCKWISE to UNLOCK the door.

Once you gain access to the cabin, you can then apply power to the two dedicated jump start terminals in the engine bay to either try to jump the car or to get enough power to unlock the trunk so you can access the battery for replacement.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      07-03-2023, 01:46 PM   #3
tundra_desert
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci, F25 X3, G01 X3

Thanks, mate. Clearly overlooked the importance of maintaining the mechanical lock and will have a go once I have the battery sorted.

FWIW, this video showed me a way to access the cabin and the tools needed:

Appreciate 0