BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
billb12
Rep
Drives: bmw

2011 BMW X3 6-cyl Software Upgrade Gear-Box better acceleration

I have recently upgraded the software on my 2011 X3 28i. This upgrade fixes the problem of hesitation in acceleration when driving at low speeds.

The software is for the 8HP45 gear - Now I have better response of the gear and better acceleration.
Software P/N 50183168 from BMW Canada programmed via ISTA/D.
Acceleration response after reprograming greatly improved.

This is free from BMW Canada for the 2011 X3 you just have to ask the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb12 View Post
I have recently upgraded the software on my 2011 X3 28i. This upgrade fixes the problem of hesitation in acceleration when driving at low speeds.

The software is for the 8HP45 gear - Now I have better response of the gear and better acceleration.
Software P/N 50183168 from BMW Canada programmed via ISTA/D.
Acceleration response after reprograming greatly improved.

This is free from BMW Canada for the 2011 X3 you just have to ask the dealer.
I think I need to go to the dealer again.....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

How it is different than software upgrade SI B24 02 12?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M

Probably the same thing, but for some odd reason US & Canada use different versioning; when I showed the printed .PDFs I printed from here about the SI updates to the service rep she seemed to recognize the number and immediately said those were for US dealers.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
billb12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dechy View Post
Probably the same thing, but for some odd reason US & Canada use different versioning; when I showed the printed .PDFs I printed from here about the SI updates to the service rep she seemed to recognize the number and immediately said those were for US dealers.
The new upgrade on software on my xdrive28i gave me a new mode selection on my idrive - The new mode is called "Sport Selection" and has three sub options:
- Sport Chassis and Drivetrain
- Sport Chassis only
- Sport Drivetrain only

It drives excellent in all three. I recommend a software upgrade as it is much better after and is FREE at the dealer just ask for it. It is free in Canada.

Last edited by billb12; 06-13-2012 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: grammer mistake
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
TreeSkier
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb12 View Post
The new upgrade on software on my xdrive28i gave me a new mode selection on my idrive - The new mode is called "Sport Selection" and has three sub options:
- Sport Chassis and Drivetrain
- Sport Chassis only
- Sport Drivetrain
I have this screen also under vehicle settings with my 2011 35i after the update (no DHP or sport) but I don't think it does anything as there is no switch to select sport mode I can disable DSC (Dynamice Stability Control) and it tightens up the steering and makes the tranny shift more aggressively, but then it also disables DSC which is not too great from a safety standpoint. I think disabling DSC is close to the sport + setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
jxterma
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 x3 35i

Mine was just upgraded last week free of charge on fixing SOS problem.(Dealer said SW upgrade is needed to fix the SOS). On paper it says: ISTA/P 2.46.5. Is this the latest version? Mine is Canadian version X35i.
However, I did not notice any improvement on acceleration, at least not significantly, it still has this hesitation as everyone else's does
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxterma View Post
Mine was just upgraded last week free of charge on fixing SOS problem.(Dealer said SW upgrade is needed to fix the SOS). On paper it says: ISTA/P 2.46.5. Is this the latest version? Mine is Canadian version X35i.
However, I did not notice any improvement on acceleration, at least not significantly, it still has this hesitation as everyone else's does

Perhaps you didn't get this specific update. The hesitation problem should have been fixed if you did. Also, not sure why you said "...hesitation as everyone else's does," as that is not a true statement.

Last edited by nonagon; 06-14-2012 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep

I JUST did mine, and it most definitely fixed the hesitation; I drove 45 minutes from dealer to home (purposely selecting all types of roads/traffic to test) and bye-bye hesitation!

- On highway 417 in traffic = no hesitation anymore
- Decelerating to a red light somewhat fast only to have it changed in my face and having to re-accelerate = no hesitation anymore
- Slow roll Stops = no hesitation anymore
- Sharp turn towards a road with a > 90 angle = no hesitation anymore

Hell, I tried everything while I was alone on the road to force the car to upshift/downshift fast and hitting the pedal just as it was doing so and I couldn't get it to lag whatsoever (someone looking as me doing so would of thought I was drunk lol)

The Canadian version of the updates seem to be bundled, because they couldn't find the equivalent to the SI update from our southern neighbours, and even showing the P/N from this post they seemed confused. What they did was get the "very latest" update package and installed it. I asked him what the version on it was after the fact and he told me F12-03-503... so guessing F25 March 2012 update 503?

Biggest F25 annoyance gone = happy customer
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
billb12
Rep

Quote:
I JUST did mine, and it most definitely fixed the hesitation; I drove 45 minutes from dealer to home (purposely selecting all types of roads/traffic to test) and bye-bye hesitation!

- On highway 417 in traffic = no hesitation anymore
- Decelerating to a red light somewhat fast only to have it changed in my face and having to re-accelerate = no hesitation anymore
- Slow roll Stops = no hesitation anymore
- Sharp turn towards a road with a > 90 angle = no hesitation anymore

Hell, I tried everything while I was alone on the road to force the car to upshift/downshift fast and hitting the pedal just as it was doing so and I couldn't get it to lag whatsoever (someone looking as me doing so would of thought I was drunk lol)

The Canadian version of the updates seem to be bundled, because they couldn't find the equivalent to the SI update from our southern neighbours, and even showing the P/N from this post they seemed confused. What they did was get the "very latest" update package and installed it. I asked him what the version on it was after the fact and he told me F12-03-503... so guessing F25 March 2012 update 503?

Biggest F25 annoyance gone = happy customer
I have also done the PDC (Park Distance Control) at BMW Toronto - now I have front and rear PDC working on my screen - nice feature - I really like it especially when I park in tight places. The PDC kit was orderd from Europe and came with Combox upgrade so now I can do NAV and DVD upgrade for little extra. This info might be of value to some customers who ordered the base model.
The only think that annoys me is a clunk on the break when reverse parking in ramp - they said it is from the breaking pads moving in the calipers due to vehicle incline when reverse park. I don't have any other noises and the breaking is SOLID.
If you have any similar experience please share this with all of us. Thanks

Last edited by billb12; 06-14-2012 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
geordie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

How do you know which version you have installed? The dealer just upgraded me to something this week, but it doesn't say on the report what version. I have that new sport menu in the I drive, no idea what it does as I have no sport switch either.

My shifting smoothness and lurching hasn't improved Since the update, but I must have the same one you guys are talking about since I have the new sport chassis selector thingy in the idrive?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep

Service rep had to go in the back and pull in the full diagnostic sheets they used to do the update when I asked him; wasn't written anywhere on the bill/report and can't view it anywhere on the iDrive.

Used the car everyday in traffic since the update and it wasn't just a placebo effect, I can't get it to lag+lurch anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I feel sorry for the people who can't/ won't get this software update. It is a dramatic improvement!

Quote:
Service rep had to go in the back and pull in the full diagnostic sheets they used to do the update when I asked him; wasn't written anywhere on the bill/report and can't view it anywhere on the iDrive.

Used the car everyday in traffic since the update and it wasn't just a placebo effect, I can't get it to lag+lurch anymore.
      06-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
geordie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is it safe to say though that if you have the new sport chasis settings in the idrive after a "reprogram" that you likely have the update to the lurching etc?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep

Good question, because I don't remember not having those options before!

After the update I went and checked ALL menus in the iDrive and chedked if there was anything different (and had to revert some settings that were inadvertly changed from wiping the software)... and from what I can remember, I thought I always had the 3 options for the Sports settings; maybe because I have the M Package?

Can't remember
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #16
geordie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hm, I may have to call my dealer back and find out exactly what they installed
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
DennisCAN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90, 2018 X3 M40i

Ok, here is my story about the software upgrade which supposed to upgrade the gear box.

I printed out the reference number provided here from my Canadian fellows and went to a bmw dealer. They were not familiar with the fix so they "reprogrammed the complete vehicle including the CAS module". At the end of the day I got my car back (2011 X3) and was happy to notice that the car behaved differently.

First of all, the steering wheel and suspension felt stiffer which I loved.

Sport Mode was enabled in my iDrive, but I didn't feel any difference by changing the modes. I didn't really care as I loved the mode that the car stuck with.

Also, the throttle response issue was gone.

But ....
After few days I realize that my Nav was disabled so I went back to the dealer ans asked them to fix it. So here what they did: "REmote Programming performed by BMW Cnanda, As per PUMA. Coded entiere vehicle again. Checked. Nav ok."

Well guess what, the software brought my Nav back but the car was having the same throttle issue and didn't feel stiff any more, back to square zero.

So I go back to the dealer again, and after another day without a car, I get this explanation from the bmw rep...

"the second software install overwrote the patch which fixed the problem during my first visit so now the throttle response should be fine" ...BUT ...the reason that I felt a stiffer suspension and the heavier steering wheel after my first visit is because the power assistance module failed. So, now that everything is working the car will not feel as stiff as before but the Sport mode should still work".

Power assistance module failed!!!!!??? ...WTF!!! How come they didn't notice that during the testing after the upgrade? I am actually not sure that's true. If that's the case my car would have felt lot more stiffer then it was!? Can it be that they forgot to activate the DSC which makes car stiffer as jdavid2 mentioned earlier.

Also, saying that the Sport Mode should work even if you didn't have it before on your car is not true. I asked around on couple of forums and several people confirmed that if you didn't have the Adaptive Drive option, it will not work just by upgrading the software. Yes you might see it in your menu but it will not change anything. And that's what I felt the first time I got my car back. The car was stiffer but it stayed like that even when I switched between different modes.

So question to Dechy and Billb12:

Did you guys have the adaptive drive option (or whatever it's called) on your car prior to software upgrade? If not, your Sport Mode is just a dummy entry in the car.

Do you still feel difference in throttle response several months after the software upgrade, or the car went back to the factory default.

Do you feel any significant change to steering wheel feel or suspension by playing with the Sport Mode, assuming you don't have the Adaptive Drive option?

I really don't know what to do.
Don't want to go to the same dealer as they will just waste my time and keep upgrading software on my X3 without fixing the problem. But at the same time I would love to get back to that stiffer mode that I had after my first visit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
D.

Last edited by DennisCAN; 10-04-2012 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #18
TreeSkier
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCAN View Post
Ok, here is my story about the software upgrade which supposed to upgrade the gear box.

Did you guys have the adaptive drive option (or whatever it's called) on your car prior to software upgrade? If not, your Sport Mode is just a dummy entry in the car.

Do you still feel difference in throttle response several months after the software upgrade, or the car went back to the factory default.

Do you feel any significant change to steering wheel feel or suspension by playing with the Sport Mode, assuming you don't have the Adaptive Drive option?
I have a 2011 35i without the Performance Control option i.e. no sport mode button, and did get the sport mode options in iDrive after the software update but the settings don’t have any effect on the car at all.

The steering at higher speeds is actually a little looser after the software update I was told by the shop foreman as there were complaints about the steering being a little too touchy for some drivers. I can’t say for sure, but after being told this I do wish the steering was a little tighter at higher speeds and without performance control the other way to get this is to disable DSC with I don’t really care to do when driving normally.

After 6,000 miles, I have noticed that the throttle response is not as smooth as it was when I got the update installed. This is apparently do to adaptive learning feature of the transmission. I read another post that said driving the car hard after the adaptive learning is reset will help keep the throttle lag at stop/low speed to a minimum. I don’t normally drive the car that hard and frequently drive in slower traffic to and from work so I don’t get much chance to push the car hard plus it’s really hurts that gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #19
DennisCAN
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid2 View Post
I have a 2011 35i without the Performance Control option i.e. no sport mode button, and did get the sport mode options in iDrive after the software update but the settings don’t have any effect on the car at all.

The steering at higher speeds is actually a little looser after the software update I was told by the shop foreman as there were complaints about the steering being a little too touchy for some drivers. I can’t say for sure, but after being told this I do wish the steering was a little tighter at higher speeds and without performance control the other way to get this is to disable DSC with I don’t really care to do when driving normally.

After 6,000 miles, I have noticed that the throttle response is not as smooth as it was when I got the update installed. This is apparently do to adaptive learning feature of the transmission. I read another post that said driving the car hard after the adaptive learning is reset will help keep the throttle lag at stop/low speed to a minimum. I don’t normally drive the car that hard and frequently drive in slower traffic to and from work so I don’t get much chance to push the car hard plus it’s really hurts that gas mileage.
Thank you.
I experience the exactly same thing on my 28i.

Cheers,
Dennis
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #20
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCAN View Post
So question to Dechy and Billb12:

I really don't know what to do.
Don't want to go to the same dealer as they will just waste my time and keep upgrading software on my X3 without fixing the problem. But at the same time I would love to get back to that stiffer mode that I had after my first visit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
D.
Don't have any other option other than M Sport, so no adaptive anything on mine. In terms of what my profiles do, Sport changes shift points drastically and Sport+ removes the anti-skid or whatever you call it; in Sport+ the rear lets loose extremely easy on hard corners. So I definitely wouldn't qualify it as a "dummy" entry in the car. Normal VS Sport+ the car is a whole different beast.

Sitting at 23000KMs now and I still don't have that god awful jerking @ stops / heavy traffic; that's definitely gone!

I don't feel anything different steering or suspension-wise in Sport/Sport+.

Dealer I bought & go to is Elite BMW, they haven't given me any issues on anything I've brought up; I just printed out the sheets, gave it to the good looking service rep (you'll know if you go :P ) and she browsed what was available in Canada as patches & the US codes given. The ONLY downfall was that now my USB key music sometimes resets when I start the car, as if I had changed to a new key and it rolls back to the top... maybe once out of 5 starts. Small annoyance, and I'll mention it when I get my oil changed next month.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
DennisCAN
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Don't have any other option other than M Sport, so no adaptive anything on mine. In terms of what my profiles do, Sport changes shift points drastically and Sport+ removes the anti-skid or whatever you call it; in Sport+ the rear lets loose extremely easy on hard corners. So I definitely wouldn't qualify it as a "dummy" entry in the car. Normal VS Sport+ the car is a whole different beast.

Sitting at 23000KMs now and I still don't have that god awful jerking @ stops / heavy traffic; that's definitely gone!

I don't feel anything different steering or suspension-wise in Sport/Sport+.

Dealer I bought & go to is Elite BMW, they haven't given me any issues on anything I've brought up; I just printed out the sheets, gave it to the good looking service rep (you'll know if you go :P ) and she browsed what was available in Canada as patches & the US codes given. The ONLY downfall was that now my USB key music sometimes resets when I start the car, as if I had changed to a new key and it rolls back to the top... maybe once out of 5 starts. Small annoyance, and I'll mention it when I get my oil changed next month.
Thanks Dechy.

I assume you drive the 35i model, not the 28i, as I don't think the MSport package is offered on 28i models, but I might be wrong.

It seems that the MSport package software has different options on the menu. I don't have Sport or Sport+ as options in my iDrive. Basically once I enter the Sport mode on the screen, I can choose only a) Drivetrain b) Drivetrain and Chassis or c) Chassis. They showed up after the latest s/w upgrade but don't do anything.

Based on your description, it seems that your Sport mode corresponds to putting the transmission lever in Sport (left from it's default position), which changes the shift points. At the same time the Sport+ seems equivalent to turning off the DSC and DTC all together on 28i models.

Are those options (Sport and Sport+) activated through the screen in your case?

Cheers,
Dennis
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #22
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep

I might be confusing the terms here; Normal, Sport & Sport+ are the name of the modes that appear in the small cluster guage LCD info area when using the buttons next to the iDrive knob.

You are correct though because my iDrive also showed me the image & Drivetrain / Drivetrain & Chassis / Chassis pictures when I changed modes with the buttons, that is until I unchecked that option to show when changing modes because the woman would always look at me in a somewhat stressful way "oh no, what are you going to do?" lol

But yeah, Sport mode = Drivetrain = same as putting shifter in semi-auto and Sport+ = Drivetrain + Chassis = semi-auto + turning off DTC. Then there's paddleshifter mode which I can pop at any time which auto-downshifts but holds gear until I upshift.

I think heh, I usually just quickly double-tap the Sport button to reach Sport+, do what I need to do and double-tap Normal. Never use the shifter semi-auto and rarely the paddleshifters; the 8 spd is just too damn efficient to row through all those gears lol.
Appreciate 0