BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
lisafurguson
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Question What to look out for when buying second hand?

Im looking at buying an X3 due to needing a bigger car (currently driving M3), im pretty scared about buying one privately as Im now a single woman and dont want to get ripped off so Ive decided im going to try and sell my current car privately and buy an X3 from a dealer.

Im really looking to see if anybody can advise on particular model is best to choose (guessing diesel) and if there is anything I should be looking out for in terms of common problems.

Cheers :-)

Lisa
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisafurguson
Im looking at buying an X3 due to needing a bigger car (currently driving M3), im pretty scared about buying one privately as Im now a single woman and dont want to get ripped off so Ive decided im going to try and sell my current car privately and buy an X3 from a dealer.

Im really looking to see if anybody can advise on particular model is best to choose (guessing diesel) and if there is anything I should be looking out for in terms of common problems.

Lisa
Expect huge delays in delivery... Time the sale of the m3 accordingly. The forum is full of useful tips and there is a thread dedicated to UK delivery times..

Oops... Disregard my "delay" comment. I see u stated second hand
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Welcome Lisa, a ex demo car will likely be your best choice. Don't rely on a single dealer and shop round. After your M3 you might want to try the 35D rather than the 20D.

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisafurguson View Post

Lisa
You can only get diesels in the UK so definitely your best choice Check out the BMW AUC website and make sure you know what options you want before shopping around. Don't let them sell you a car off their forecourt that hasn't got what you want!
      05-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Make sure the car has navigation, if not negotiate a further discount. I understand a high proportion of 2.0d vehicles in the UK are autos so if you are offered a manual again make sure it's at a good discount. With regard to other options make sure you get what you need but remember whilst the dealer will look to get full value back on a low mileage high optioned car when you come to part ex it, not many of the options really have value, although they may make it easier to get a buyer.

If you are going to keep the vehicle for a while useful if it has DAB. Option 6NR mobile apps may be useful for you and also when you come to sell it

If buying the MSport some people like the slightly more comfortable ride in UK by deleting the sports suspension so worth checking.

Worth getting a car that has the 5 year service pack

You should get better than 40mpg from the 2.0d in mixed driving, bigger diesels mid 30's.

As ever shop around.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

I have driven over 20k miles with mine in past 8 months, and except the wind noise issue I am having and some not very important rattles, I am very pleased with the X3. Re the second hand market of the car on the other hand, I am not sure that there is one yet. F25 is quite new and as used there are unlikely not many to choose from, at least not in Turkey. The ones that you can find are low mileage 2011 and 2012s all close to new car prices, so wouldn't make much sense to go for used- disregarding the wait times-
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
lisafurguson
Registered
Rep

Thanks guys, im deffo going to go for a diesel.

With regard to selling the M3 has anybody had any success with we buy any car? Ive heard a lot of bad press but might need to sell quickly if i find the right car..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisafurguson View Post
has anybody had any success with we buy any car? Ive heard a lot of bad press but might need to sell quickly if i find the right car..
Steer well clear! If you need to sell in a hurry take it to the Dealer. WBAC.com will give you a sh!tty valuation and then knock £££'s off that for the most minor of scuffs or scratches.
      05-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeltzer View Post
Steer well clear! If you need to sell in a hurry take it to the Dealer. WBAC.com will give you a sh!tty valuation and then knock £££'s off that for the most minor of scuffs or scratches.
I would second that. I was offered 2k less when I was selling my 2 year old Freelander 2 in Dec and also heard that they knock off the price further when you go to deliver it to them.

Put it up on Pistonheads or Autotrader and thats much more reliable. Considering it is an M3, it will be in demand and a dealer might buy it off you too.
However, make sure you hold off for the right price.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

I was speaking to my mechanic the other day and told him I was getting rid of my Jeep and getting an X3 to which he shrieked "DON'T DO IT".

I tried to explain that it was a second generation X3 but he seemed unconvinced.

Anyway, I told him I was PXing my Jeep and that I was getting the princely sum of £500 for it.

He told me to sell it on eBay...

Now the MOT expires on the 21st of this month, and so at the moment I have arranged to have the dealer come and collect it on the 18th and give me a loan vehicle till my X3 arrives.

Here is the low down:
  • 2000 Petrol Jeep Grand Cherokee (110k miles)
  • Acid stripped bonnet (long story, but basically mistaken identity revenge attack)
  • Transmission fluid leak
  • Slight knock
  • Dead battery
  • Somewhat damp and mouldy interior
  • Always on amber engine warning light
  • Heated seats not working
  • No 12v supply on cigarette socket
  • Stick on mirror (broken mirror underneath)
  • Only one mirror folds
  • Only partially demisting rear window
  • Only one key
  • Fuel filler cap sometimes VERY stubborn about unlocking
  • Did I mention it was filthy?
  • Needs new number plates

On the plus side it has a tow bar.

He told me to list it warts and all ... but that could be quite a long listing ...

Am I likely to get more that £500 after eBay fees?

Is it really worth it and practical to list it on eBay?

Its sad when you look at your car and the contents of the fuel tank are worth more than the car!

Last edited by Horsey; 05-11-2012 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Horsey - might be worth selling various parts separately? Would think you'd get more than £500 that way. Or advertise it in eBay as 'for parts'.

Would be shocked if you didn't get more than £500 through eBay.
      05-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Horsey - might be worth selling various parts separately? Would think you'd get more than £500 that way. Or advertise it in eBay as 'for parts'.

Would be shocked if you didn't get more than £500 through eBay.
I can see it now ... my wife super excited about the bits of greasy dirty Jeep laid out in piles on our white carpet in our small white flat while I try to shift them on eBay.

But I will stick the car on eBay for a short listing and see what happens ...

... what the hell, its a way to pass time!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
cc3
Major
Rep

Just be careful if you sell privately lots and lots of scams out there, including those who look out for cars like this being advertised so that they can nick it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26 View Post
Just be careful if you sell privately lots and lots of scams out there, including those who look out for cars like this being advertised so that they can nick it.
Why is a car listed on eBay a better target than any other for being nicked?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
cc3
Major
Rep

Didn't mention anything about E bay.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
lisafurguson
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26 View Post
Make sure the car has navigation, if not negotiate a further discount. I understand a high proportion of 2.0d vehicles in the UK are autos so if you are offered a manual again make sure it's at a good discount. With regard to other options make sure you get what you need but remember whilst the dealer will look to get full value back on a low mileage high optioned car when you come to part ex it, not many of the options really have value, although they may make it easier to get a buyer.

If you are going to keep the vehicle for a while useful if it has DAB. Option 6NR mobile apps may be useful for you and also when you come to sell it

If buying the MSport some people like the slightly more comfortable ride in UK by deleting the sports suspension so worth checking.

Worth getting a car that has the 5 year service pack

You should get better than 40mpg from the 2.0d in mixed driving, bigger diesels mid 30's.

As ever shop around.

:-) thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
lisafurguson
Registered
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Lol - WBAC offered me - £7,865.01 (god knows where the penny comes from).. Similar car to mine on auto trader £10,995, I know they need to make a profit but 3k+ seems a bit much!

Ive just put on dealerbid.co.uk to see what dealers will offer, really dont want the messing around of selling privately, ill no doubt get every timewaster in a 20 mile radius wanting a testdrive!
Appreciate 0