BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

Reboot sequence for iDrive

Hold the volume-mute button for longer than 25sec. You get the BMW splash screen and she reboots!

Just in case anyone feels they need it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

good to know, just in case.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by walendvay View Post
Hold the volume-mute button for longer than 25sec. You get the BMW splash screen and she reboots!

Just in case anyone feels they need it.
How much longer?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
How much longer?
hold it until you see it reboot.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walendvay View Post
hold it until you see it reboot.
Thanks. My sense of humour again...

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Speaking of the volume button, not to thread jack, but does anyone else think it takes too many twists of the knob to turn the volume up?

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Speaking of the volume button, not to thread jack, but does anyone else think it takes too many twists of the knob to turn the volume up?
Yes. I think it's because the diameter of the knob is too small and if it required less turns it would be too sensitive to make small volume changes. Needs a bigger knob

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:05 AM   #8
JordanWindebank
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 20d (2011)

Quote:
Haha yes! This bugged me from the day I got my car, felt like I had to turn the knob 293 times just to slightly adjust the volume. Thank god for the steering wheel controls.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
Babbage
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
does anyone else think it takes too many twists of the knob to turn the volume up?
Yes. The amount of volume increase per knob rotation should be a user adjustable setting in iDrive. This would fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Quote:
Me too - I thought it was one of the marketing tricks from BMW and if you paid top dollar for one of the two higher spec sound systems this bug was fixed?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I usually use the steering wheel button for volume changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep

yes, lots of turns of the volume and lots of presses of the steering wheel button. a little annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Yes. I think it's because the diameter of the knob is too small and if it required less turns it would be too sensitive to make small volume changes. Needs a bigger knob
Actually, according to simple math, bigger knob would make it even worse. At least how much does the outer rim of the knob move in distance compared to how much volume changes.

What it needs is smaller knob or longer "ratio" inside, sort of highway gear after the knob and before the potentiometer.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
Actually, according to simple math, bigger knob would make it even worse. At least how much does the outer rim of the knob move in distance compared to how much volume changes.

What it needs is smaller knob or longer "ratio" inside, sort of highway gear after the knob and before the potentiometer.
The knob actually turns a shaft encoder. Analog potentiometers are so "twentieth century" and are going the way of the dinosaurs. Unfortunately, the encoder to volume change ratio programming is probably embedded in the radio firmware and is not likely something we'll see changed in a system software update.

Clearly, the volume change via the knob is way too slow, although I find the change via the steering wheel buttons just right.

At least shaft encoders don't go noisy and crackly when they get old like “pots”. (and some people)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post

Without wishing to labour the point (I'm about to) my point is that the reason the knob requires so much turning is because its small diameter would not promote small granular changes to the volume.

If it were larger diameter, they could allow one full rotation from 0 to max and it would still be granular enough to allow small changes at the same time.

One rotation from 0 to max on a small diameter knob would not be granular enough and that is the problem and I guess why it behaves like it does. If they changed it to one rotation and kept the size the same people would complain they couldn't turn the volume up gently.

Look at any decent amp: big volume knob, 0 to max, about one rotation

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #16
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The knob actually turns a shaft encoder. Analog potentiometers are so "twentieth century" and are going the way of the dinosaurs. Unfortunately, the encoder to volume change ratio programming is probably embedded in the radio firmware and is not likely something we'll see changed in a system software update.

Clearly, the volume change via the knob is way too slow, although I find the change via the steering wheel buttons just right.

At least shaft encoders don't go noisy and crackly when they get old like “pots”. (and some people)
I agree that the volume buttons on the steering wheel are calibrated better. It’s also more convenient to use them rather than reaching over to twist the knob.
I also think we’re getting a little excessively nit-picky if the number of rotations on the volume control knob is becoming a big issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
Babbage
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I also think we’re getting a little excessively nit-picky if the number of rotations on the volume control knob is becoming a big issue.
Fair enough. In my car, I've got much bigger things to worry about, like a rattling sound when starting in the morning, and a massive intermittent electronics failure (due to transfer case???).

At least I'm happy that my laggy throttle seems to have been fixed by a software update.
Appreciate 0