BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Left-hand Drive X3 in Australia?

What are your thoughts on driving a left-hand drive X3 in Australia?
      04-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

It's illegal?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

No, I don't believe it is. Some right-hand drive countries have lots of toll booth and similar things that make it more challenging to use a left hand drive car. My impression was that this wouldn't be a huge issue in Australia. Seem right?
      04-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
No, I don't believe it is. Some right-hand drive countries have lots of toll booth and similar things that make it more challenging to use a left hand drive car. My impression was that this wouldn't be a huge issue in Australia. Seem right?
I guess it depends where you drive. If you're in Perth, Sydney etc then it's be a a bit of pain. If you're outside of a major city then it'll be fine. I've driven UK cars in mainland Europe a lot, it's not too bad but parking payments can be a problem. I've driven on Oz, the cities are much the same as Europe with a slight twist of US layout added.
      04-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thought my post might have helped you out, as I live.... in Australia.

Its illegal.

You can drive cars over 30 years of age legally as left hand drive (in my state at the very lesat). You'll see 60's and 70's muscle cars all over the place without the need for conversion as the 30+ year law states you don't need to.

My friend imports brand new Chevs and Corvettes ex California and spends a further $80 + AUD converting them to right hand drive - as they are illegal to drive otherwise. Simply cannot get them registered.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ha haaa! Oh, just 'cause you live there you think you know the place . . .

Didn't mean to dismiss what you were saying. I should have explained some. I'd found a web page that was describing importing vehicles and the only restriction it noted was that left hand drive vehicles over a certain weight had to display a warning placard. I must have missed something about the whole deal.

Thanks much!!
      04-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ha haaa! Oh, just 'cause you live there you think you know the place . . .

Didn't mean to dismiss what you were saying. I should have explained some. I'd found a web page that was describing importing vehicles and the only restriction it noted was that left hand drive vehicles over a certain weight had to display a warning placard. I must have missed something about the whole deal.

Thanks much!!
Possibly in other states it may be legal - but it would be conditional I'd dare say.

Put it this way - if it was legal to do so, we'd be buying our cars in the US an exporting them over here to drive as we pay twice the price for what you can in North America!! Even with the taxes and duties applicable for doing so!
Appreciate 0