BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport 35i

Head Up Display -HUD on U.S. Models - Questions

1. For the guys in the U.S. with HUD is it really worth it to you?
2. Is this the same HUD that is in the new 3 series i.e. colors etc.?
3. What does it display on the U.S. models e.g. nav, speed, speed limits, doors open, cruise control etc.?
4. Anyone have good video of it working on a U.S. X3?

The packages in the signature below are what I ordered if that helps with responses on what it shows etc.

I have been reading a lot on it from site to site, trying to find videos and all that but still not getting the answers I am looking for. Any help is appreciated, trying to figure out if I should add it to the build (i.e. 610 option )before it's too late. Think I have like a day to make a decision.

[Black Sapphire/Oyster/Wave Wood: ZPP/ZTP/ZCW/ZCX/ZDH/ZPS/ZMP/6NR]
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
djperry1973
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

1. The thing about the test drive that really sold me on the X3 over the other cars we were looking at was the HUD. I kept telling my wife that I felt like I was the Terminator.

2. I'm not familiar with the colors of the 3 series HUD so I can't compare. The predominant color is a yellowish/amber for the text with accents of red, blue or green depending on the alert message.

3. The default display is your current speed. It also posts nav directions, cruise control info, traffic alerts, open door warnings, and various system warnings (one I am very familiar with is "tire pressure monitor failure", which is its own annoying thing that is currently driving me crazy)

4. These are not comprehensive videos but these links should give you an idea of the HUD's flavor, especially since these are the indicators you will see most often:

speed and nav directions:

startup screen, low fuel indicator:

I'm not near my car now otherwise I'd list out the various category of things you can select to be shown in the HUD. I believe the general rule of thumb is that any alert that would pop up on the instrument cluster can also be displayed in the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djperry1973 View Post
1. The thing about the test drive that really sold me on the X3 over the other cars we were looking at was the HUD. I kept telling my wife that I felt like I was the Terminator.

2. I'm not familiar with the colors of the 3 series HUD so I can't compare. The predominant color is a yellowish/amber for the text with accents of red, blue or green depending on the alert message.

3. The default display is your current speed. It also posts nav directions, cruise control info, traffic alerts, open door warnings, and various system warnings (one I am very familiar with is "tire pressure monitor failure", which is its own annoying thing that is currently driving me crazy)
Thanks for the reply!

I like the idea of it which is why I was considering it. After spending a while earlier today talking about this with my CA he actually steered me away from getting it. That kind shocked me but he's a straight forward kinda guy.

The HUD in the new 3 series is better it seems and I was told the X3 didn't get that for '13 otherwise he would have recommended it more. He also mentioned that most of the stuff in the HUD is also shown where the driver gauges are in the X3 so it's not super necessary as it may be in other BMWs to have the HUD option.

The videos you sent I actually watched earlier even before making the thread as I was on the fence because they didn't win me over at all.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
scs-X3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

It may not be the end all be all and could have more features like song info, but I love it especially from a safety standpoint with the navigation directions, traffic alerts and system alerts there is no need to look down or at the NAV screen. I feel it was well worth the investment.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
caz681
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Xdrive35i

I got used to having a digital speedometer in the driver information display on my A4, and when I got the X3, I found that the only way to get a digital speedo was with the HUD. Kinda glad about that, because I really like it and now wish I had it on the A4. Not a must-have and an easy place to save some bucks, but a worthwhile option if you can afford it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

I got the HUD... I thought it was an irrational decision. I can't stand driving other cars now! Having the speed and nav information projected on the screen is tits.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep

Well I got the news that even if I wanted to change it I can't because the vehicle went into production today.. Life's funny like that. This morning it wasn't supposed to yet and now it suddenly is.

Well now I don't have to strain myself making a decision, it was made for me. Maybe it's something I can get in a future bmw vehicle IF the X3 does what it supposed to and plays nice and doesn't make me hate the brand Call me silly but I'm loyal to what actually works vs brand

Thanks for the responses guys/gals hopefully someone else who is split on a decision may find this useful.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

For anyone else who'd like a look at the HUD on the X3:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #9
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Can anyone with a MY2013 with HUD and Speed Limit Info upload some pictures or video of their HUD in use?

I am especially keep to see how the Speed Limit Info looks and also the Sat Nav at Motorway Junctions ...

You would think there would be more on youtube.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Now if only it would warn you about potholes on Chicago streets it would be perfect.
Appreciate 0