BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Space Grey or Titanium Silver?

I probably shouldn't ask... since I am a little "balancing on a knife edge", might make my indecision worse...

The interior colours are black leather with aluminium interior trim. Have also specified X Line package too, standard 17" wheels (style 304?) and sun protection glass.

Has anyone got the X3 in Space Grey or Titanium Silver and "regretted the choice"?

Titanium Silver seems like the "safe, can't loose choice", but then I see metallic Space Grey and think "oooooh, that just looks so nice - a bit more depth and contrast"...

Haven't been able to see them - on an X3 - "in the flesh" to check/compare. I have seen them on other models and even "side by side" - the Space Grey does have more visual impact (at least in the light conditions on Saturday).

QT

Last edited by QTPie; 02-12-2012 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

It's very subjective but try to get to see both colours in various light in the flesh as TiAg almost has a blue tinge in fading daylight and almost looks white under very bright sunlight. I like SG but wouldn't switch. I like black and CB also but I've owned black cars in the past and they show up dirt too quickly and swirl marks are a problem. Not sure about dirt and swirls on SG

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

Both are great colors. Space grey has a tendency to show more of the sculpture of the vehicle and highlights the shadows more. Space grey will also show off the Xline package better but it would be less of a contrast with the Black interior.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Loving our space gray. I wish Sparking Graphite was available though.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
GBMW6612
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3M

I got the titanium silver and like it more and more every time I look at it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
scs-X3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMW6612 View Post
I got the titanium silver and like it more and more every time I look at it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

You will need to wash the Space Grey a lot more to keep it looking nice. I think it looks nicer though.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Its a personal choice. I have V Red but I love Carbon Black too, it's beautiful color.

SG is little dull and TiSi is so common
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
bigblackwolf
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive28i

Would Mineral Silver be an option for you? Combines very well with Nevada Oyster.

Generally, I see a trend for car manufacturers to offer new colours, away from the traditional black, white, grey or silver. Benz has already quite a range, Volkswagen too, but Audi not yet on Q5 but already on other models.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #10
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Dangerous question as everyone will have a view on this.

Having had black, red and silver cars in the past I wanted something that would look good when cleaned/polished like my black and red previous cars but that also hid the dirt better (more like my silver car).

I went for space grey as I thought this might do the trick. And it did.

Really happy with my choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

I wrestled with the same question but went with Titanium Silver and love it. Its a bit easier to keep clean. I really wanted the Chestnut interior but not being able to see it in person and the dealer talked me out of it, so I went with black.

Either color is great, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
I was in the same delema, I love black but am so fussy about keeping them clean and they show water spots to easily, they are beautiful. I wanted somethig a bit darker than silver so I ordered the space gray / Oyster. I am very happy with the color and love the way it changes in the light and shows off the lines of the X3. Good luck, you really can not make a bad choice all the colors offered are nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

This is a tough question. Silver would be great to hide dirt/swirls and easier to keep clean. Space Grey is a great color that really shows the body lines. Either one is a great choice. Or you can white with red/brown leather like me
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
AshTX
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 Shopping

Has anyone done Space Gray with Nevada Mojave (brown) leather? I test drove a Black Sapphire X3 with Mojave leather and Fineline Sienna wood, and really liked the interior combination. But I'd like to stick with either a Gray or Silver exterior to keep dirt from showing.

I know Black leather with Aluminum trim is the safer bet for Gray or Silver, but I'm in a hot climate and would like to avoid a black interior. (And Sand Beige leather wouldn't be as kid-friendly.)

Choices, choices...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep

Choices, choises indeed!

The order is being submitted, today, as "Space Grey". The annoying thing is that I still have time to change my mind!

Have been back from holiday for a week and have only seen one new style X3 on the roads (sure that I normally see more!) and that was Mineral Silver: it looked great, but not the colour for me this time (too close to my old car colour....)

I would love Black (probably the Metallic one - having an SE) with oyster Leather, but Oyster leather with a toddler (and maybe another one later this year - fingers crossed!) would be BAD! And Black exterior with black leather and sun protection glass would look too much like a (successful) drug dealer or similar...

Will be keeping my eyes peeled for both SG and TS in the flesh to try to reassess my choice...

QT
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTPie View Post
Choices, choises indeed!

The order is being submitted, today, as "Space Grey". The annoying thing is that I still have time to change my mind!

Have been back from holiday for a week and have only seen one new style X3 on the roads (sure that I normally see more!) and that was Mineral Silver: it looked great, but not the colour for me this time (too close to my old car colour....)

I would love Black (probably the Metallic one - having an SE) with oyster Leather, but Oyster leather with a toddler (and maybe another one later this year - fingers crossed!) would be BAD! And Black exterior with black leather and sun protection glass would look too much like a (successful) drug dealer or similar...

Will be keeping my eyes peeled for both SG and TS in the flesh to try to reassess my choice...

QT
The SP glass isn't that dark so I wouldn't worry too much about that effect - see photo below.

We have a 2 year old and if you are getting SP glass I would still recommened you get the BMW sunblinds as well (if you haven't already). The SP glass on its own isn't enough for little ones in the back. Agree on oyster, same reason we didn't get oyster

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep

See, I feel happy about SG, then I see a photo (of TS) like yours below - just beautiful!

Thank you, yes, have got the rear sunblinds fitted too (someone had already warned me that it was best to have both...). Dealer looking into the possibility of a rear blind - do you have anything for the back? Son is still rear facing (Maxi Cosi Mobi) at the moment and if we had another one...

Do you have the BMW toddler car seat (jnr 1-2)? If so, any thoughts? Was looking at it - wont be hugely long until (tall in the body) son has outgrown the Mobi, but have seen negative reviews (i.e. it is too upright and - because of use of a cushion restraint (instead of 5 point harness) - children tend to slump forward when asleep.... Can't find any official/safety reviews on that seat (or type of restraint system) either.

QT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The SP glass isn't that dark so I wouldn't worry too much about that effect - see photo below.

We have a 2 year old and if you are getting SP glass I would still recommened you get the BMW sunblinds as well (if you haven't already). The SP glass on its own isn't enough for little ones in the back. Agree on oyster, same reason we didn't get oyster
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
See, I feel happy about SG, then I see a photo (of TS) like yours below - just beautiful!

Thank you, yes, have got the rear sunblinds fitted too (someone had already warned me that it was best to have both...). Dealer looking into the possibility of a rear blind - do you have anything for the back? Son is still rear facing (Maxi Cosi Mobi) at the moment and if we had another one...

Do you have the BMW toddler car seat (jnr 1-2)? If so, any thoughts? Was looking at it - wont be hugely long until (tall in the body) son has outgrown the Mobi, but have seen negative reviews (i.e. it is too upright and - because of use of a cushion restraint (instead of 5 point harness) - children tend to slump forward when asleep.... Can't find any official/safety reviews on that seat (or type of restraint system) either.

QT
Thanks. They're both great colours and it doesn't get more subjective than choosing a colour but my wife and I saw a SG in the dealer just after we had test driven a TS and we both agreed we made the right choice. Like the X3 itself, some of the colours aren’t done justice in photos.

Not sure on a sun blind for the rear window as our child seat is forward facing and I can’t remember seeing blinds for the rear window anywhere on this forum. The seat we have isn’t BMW but it is excellent and highly recommended: Maxi Cosi Priorifix Child Car Seat Black Crystal (ISOFIX) – see Halfords (about £216 there now but we paid £190 so you might get it cheaper elsewhere)

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

Quote:
Choices, choises indeed!

QT
Just think, if you upgrade to a 3.0D the metallic paint would be free too!!
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #20
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Quote:
Choices, choises indeed!

QT
You need to see the actual colours on a real BMW even if not a F25 as the pictures are not good enough. Even the trim colours you should see in person, again even if not on a F25. I also think certain body colours suit the M-sport more than others due to the deep sides on the with the body kit.

Nice position to be in regarding your choices of spec/engine. As quoted already it appears most M-sport drivers delete the sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #21
Mostafa
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

typical my q

I just wanted to ask typical your q but good to find it.....after two years...i think u r able to give me ur experience....again...grey or silver....black interior...very hot summer in my side....grey or silver...very hard to decide
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #22
Sireal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i

Garage List
I have a space gray Z4 with black interior and love it. Just Say'n