BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #45
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
Want the thrill - You don't have the DHP, and it seems you don't have M Sport either, so there's no way you have the electronic damper control - unless BMW gives you a nice freebie. Take off a wheel and check the suspension part.

Again, electronic damper control is not a cheap option (Performance Control and Variable Sport Steering are cheaper - check BMW UK), and BMW doesn't offer free lunch.
I don't think WTT is saying he has DHP.....he's just saying he has (as the rest of us do with the 35i and SAP) the rocker switch that tunes normal/sport/sport+. DHP may be the system which handles the dampening but the DDC is what handles the changes to vehicle "personality". I agree pulling off the wheel will help but what good will that do unless we all know what we are looking at in the pictures. If go great, but since nobody on here (myself inlcuded) can determine on our own "how" this sytem works, I'm not sure that looking at pictures of someone's suspension will show the smoking gun. If so someone would have said, "if you take off the wheel and find "X" then you'll know the answer".

I'm not sure why everyone can't just wait for the questions to come back from the contacts we have at BMWNA rather than have people pull off wheels for something we may not know how to understand anyway.[/QUOTE]

+1
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #46
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

These days there are lots of complex technologies in cars. Although they can be hard to understand, it certainly doesn't hurt to know everything works.

This is what BMW says about electronic damper control:

"Electronic Damper Control (EDC) reduces variations in wheel load, ensures tyres have excellent traction and counteracts bodyshell movement regardless of the weight your automobile may be carrying - and regardless of the state of the road's surface. EDC can even help shorten braking distances, meaning you enjoy outstanding comfort along with the best in BMW on-road safety.

Sensitive sensors constantly monitor all factors influencing the vehicle's behaviour and occupants’ comfort, including road conditions, load changes and vehicle speed. In a fraction of a second, the signals are analysed by the EDC microprocessor and orders are sent to the actuators on the shock absorbers, which, with the help of magnetic valves, are variably adjusted to provide optimal suspension.
Thanks to Electronic Damper Control, the tendency for the nose to dip when braking is practically eliminated. The influence of potholes and unevenness on the road surface is reduced to minimum. Whether you're behind the wheel or relaxing in the rear of the cabin, EDC delivers a remarkably smooth and comfortable ride."

IN short, the shock absorbers are different due to the sensors and the use of magnetic valves to receive signals. Overall, more parts that could break, that's why I'd personally prefer a simple sport suspension, or something like the Koni FSD.
      06-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #47
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
These days there are lots of complex technologies in cars. Although they can be hard to understand, it certainly doesn't hurt to know everything works.

This is what BMW says about electronic damper control:

"Electronic Damper Control (EDC) reduces variations in wheel load, ensures tyres have excellent traction and counteracts bodyshell movement regardless of the weight your automobile may be carrying - and regardless of the state of the road's surface. EDC can even help shorten braking distances, meaning you enjoy outstanding comfort along with the best in BMW on-road safety.

Sensitive sensors constantly monitor all factors influencing the vehicle's behaviour and occupants’ comfort, including road conditions, load changes and vehicle speed. In a fraction of a second, the signals are analysed by the EDC microprocessor and orders are sent to the actuators on the shock absorbers, which, with the help of magnetic valves, are variably adjusted to provide optimal suspension.
Thanks to Electronic Damper Control, the tendency for the nose to dip when braking is practically eliminated. The influence of potholes and unevenness on the road surface is reduced to minimum. Whether you're behind the wheel or relaxing in the rear of the cabin, EDC delivers a remarkably smooth and comfortable ride."

IN short, the shock absorbers are different due to the sensors and the use of magnetic valves to receive signals. Overall, more parts that could break, that's why I'd personally prefer a simple sport suspension, or something like the Koni FSD.
Absolutely I agree with you on the "simple sport suspension" setup....that is exactly why I skipped DHP too! And totally agree that we need some detailed pics...there was another thread where someone did that...i'll find it and post, but definitely let's get some more pics out there. (even if we dont' know what we're lookig at!!

It's funny...I read the above too on BMWs web site and honestly EDC to me reads more like a safety control than a performance control... in fact the VERY FIRST question I gave to my friend to sent to the mother land was:

"In regards to dynamic dampening, does BMW engineering view this as a performance feature or a safety feature and why". Oh man I can't wait for these answers to come back...I sent 8 questions over
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #48
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I don't think WTT is saying he has DHP.....he's just saying he has (as the rest of us do with the 35i and SAP) the rocker switch that tunes normal/sport/sport+. DHP may be the system which handles the dampening but the DDC is what handles the changes to vehicle "personality". I agree pulling off the wheel will help but what good will that do unless we all know what we are looking at in the pictures. If go great, but since nobody on here (myself inlcuded) can determine on our own "how" this sytem works, I'm not sure that looking at pictures of someone's suspension will show the smoking gun. If so someone would have said, "if you take off the wheel and find "X" then you'll know the answer".

I'm not sure why everyone can't just wait for the questions to come back from the contacts we have at BMWNA rather than have people pull off wheels for something we may not know how to understand anyway.
+1[/QUOTE]

Hey what happened to these posts...it's werid the quoting aspect got all jacked up and stuff that I posted looked like it came from someone else...very weird....I just edited my last post b/c I think the (/quote) setup got jacked up....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #49
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep

Unfortunately BMWNA has decided that a regular firm sport suspension has no place in newer vehicles such as Z4, 5, X5/6 or X3.
      06-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #50
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

EDC is called VDC in the UK and includes DDC, as does VSS. You can't spec an M Sport with VDC, even if you delete the sports suspension. VSS includes SS.

Hope this helps

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #51
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
EDC is called VDC in the UK and includes DDC, as does VSS. You can't spec an M Sport with VDC, even if you delete the sports suspension. VSS includes SS.

Hope this helps
In fact, at least from the BMW UK website, you can spec a M Sport, and then pick VDC (variable/electronic damping control) as a 930 pounds option.

Also note that the variable sport steering is the default with M Sport.
      06-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #52
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
In fact, at least from the BMW UK website, you can spec a M Sport, and then pick VDC (variable/electronic damping control) as a 930 pounds option.

Same in Canada, you have the MSport pkg, and the DCC (Dynamic Comfort Control, ie. dampers) option is separate. I have both on mine.
      06-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #53
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:

My bad, I got confused with the config tool - you can't select sports suspension or deleted sports suspension and VDC which makes sense. You have to select VDC or sports suspension (no VDC) or deleted sports suspension (no VDC)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #54
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Ok, my guy at BMW NA says the following:

Hey Tory,
Yes the DHP still has the variable damping, they just changed the way its configured in the ordering system and it made an error on the website. Should be fixed soon.

If you don't have variable damping, the sport button does not change suspension settings, only transmission, steering, and throttle response.

Regards,

I think this at least answers why the BMWNA website is missing the varaible damper control in the DHP, but does open a can of worms on the steering front with non DHP 35i's. I ve asked him about this and have yet to hear back. He's probably got bigger fish to fry.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #55
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
If you don't have variable damping, the sport button does not change suspension settings, only transmission, steering, and throttle response.
Very interesting. FWIW, this is consistent with the opinion of a number of posters on the F10 forum for new 5 series cars equipped with the Sport Package and Sport AT, but not DHP.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #56
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Stop whining

The engine sounds fantastic. Subjective/shmubjectibe; I like it a whole lot. If you start your car in a closed garage then the rattle is just the sound of warming up. Wait 30 seconds and it quiets itself down. Outside you wont hear it. The rumble is perfectly normal. If you think it sounds abnormal then you know not of abnormal cars. I happen to like mine very much despite the problems I've had with it (I'm driving my seventh loaner in the past five months).

Bite your tongue if you didn't test drive it first. Only you did this to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #57
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
The engine sounds fantastic. Subjective/shmubjectibe; I like it a whole lot. If you start your car in a closed garage then the rattle is just the sound of warming up. Wait 30 seconds and it quiets itself down. Outside you wont hear it. The rumble is perfectly normal. If you think it sounds abnormal then you know not of abnormal cars. I happen to like mine very much despite the problems I've had with it (I'm driving my seventh loaner in the past five months).

Bite your tongue if you didn't test drive it first. Only you did this to you.
What else has happened with your X juddholland? Just curious to see what is going wrong on the them.
Appreciate 0