BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
Better sound?

I have the upgraded sound system (I think) but the sound in the wife's Volvo is better especially on the low end. Has anyone done anything to improve the sound system in their X3. If so, what did you add or replace?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Harv_NC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Do you know how many speakers you have? The premium system has, I think, 16. Just ordered today with the Premium Sound, so not happy to hear that you aren't loving yours.

Anything in the iDrive settings that impact sound quality?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's not bad sound but the low end presence is just not as good as in the wife's Volvo C70. I'm not yet sure if it's a power, speaker or subwoofer issue. I've played with the EQ settings in the idrive and it's good but not "as good".
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markap View Post
It's not bad sound but the low end presence is just not as good as in the wife's Volvo C70. I'm not yet sure if it's a power, speaker or subwoofer issue. I've played with the EQ settings in the idrive and it's good but not "as good".
I never had a chance to listen in a premium audio X3, I know it has 600 watts output & 16 speakers but not Harman/Kardon branded.

My 28i has a base sound system with 12 speakers and 205 watts output. Personally I believe it sounds better when compared to my previous car..Saab 9-3 which had 7 speakers Bose audio.

I wish they had B&O audio or Panasonic ELS audio (one that comes in Acura) as the options...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

I have the premium audio option and I think it sounds good and has enough low end but you to have to adjust the EQ and bass setting to get it sounding good. I also noticed a big difference in sound depending on the source of the audio. I think CD's and my iphone sound pretty good but I the SAT radio sounds kinda crappy.
      03-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
rgx3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive 35i

Easy fix.........................

Switch cars with your wife. Seriously, I have the premium sound and think the base is just fine. I have an Alpine stereo, infiniti door and rear speakers, and a subwoofer in my toyota truck and the BMW audio is way better.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgx3
Switch cars with your wife. Seriously, I have the premium sound and think the base is just fine. I have an Alpine stereo, infiniti door and rear speakers, and a subwoofer in my toyota truck and the BMW audio is way better.
Never said it was bad, just not as good. The best way to be happy with any sound system home or car is to never hear a better one. That said, sound preference is a very subjective thing. At some point I'll talk to an audio expert and get their advice. It's not worth throwing a lot of money at but it might be as simple as a speaker swap or amp upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I'd give it a some more hours of listening before making the judgement call on the sound quality. Most speakers need some time to break in before they're able to reproduce the sound they are designed to do (although to many the difference is undetectable). I've been considering adding in another nice compact sub but just can't bring myself to sacrifice the trunk space for it or having to modify/cut anything to install it. There's also the issue of having an exposed subwoofer in plain view for thieves to see. Not sure how it is elsewhere, but using the cargo cover in SF is akin to signaling to bottom-feeders that there is something valuable lurking underneath...
Appreciate 0