BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

What's the longest roof cargo box you've put on?

Currently I have a Thule Atlantis 1200 box, which is 82 inches long and 24 inches wide. I had purchased this one at the time because I could still fit three bikes up top with it. But now with the new X3, one thing I'm finding out (which I knew right off the bat I'd miss) is that with the increased height of the car, I can no longer leave a roof box on there all the time and go into underground garages, most of which have an 80 inch limit.

I had measured the 535, and the car was perfect at a height of 59 inches, plus 20 inches for the roof box and feet.

The X3 though is 65 inches high. Since I'm toying with dropping it an inch using springs, I think I actually might be able to pull it off, (to get under 80 inches), if I go with a thinner box, which would be 11.5 inches high. The Thule "thin" boxes though are 24" wide, so I'll go with a Yakima.

Here's my question:

The Yakimas are 92" long. That's a full 10" longer than my existing box, which lines up with the top of the windshield. If I get a longer box, it will look sort of like the second picture, with the edge of the box in line with the mirrors almost. I still wouldn't see the box though sitting in the driver's seat, I moved up my own box to check it out.

Are there any negative considerations for getting a long box that overhangs the windshield, besides looking ugly? Wind noise? Much worse mileage than my existing box, which matches the roof outline?

Thanks!

PS I found the mockup at MR-BOX.com
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus99; 12-10-2015 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:50 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

You will get slightly worse mileage. Should not get more windnoise. Rear door will probably interfear with box - you have to electronically reduce opening angel.

Lowering 1" - 1 1/2" (and not exchange/shorten shocks) will mean you will slightly ride on bumpstops= reduced ridecomfort- especially fully laden.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:59 AM   #3
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the input. The picture of my car is skewed, in that the rear of the box actually lines up almost with the rear door seal. When the hatch is up, there's an inch of space between it and the box. So if I buy the new longer box, it won't interfere with the hatch opening if I put it where the current one is, unless I move it farther back. It will just stick out of the front more by about 25 cm/10 inches.

Do you think it looks too ugly hanging over the windshield like that? In the mockup picture I found, it doesn't look too disproportionate actually...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

I think the slender box is nicer - especially if you move 4" backwards

To optimize from an aerodynamic standpoint you should:
-move backwards as much as possible - and reduce rear door lift.
-lower the box in front, to reduce amount of air passing under box.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I have the Thule Sonic L. It sits right in front of the rear hatch (hatch can still open no issues) and it overhangs the front windshield a bit, and I do see it while driving. If I were to do it again, I would have purchased the Alpine version (lower slung) as the Sonic looks like I'm transporting a small whale on top of my X3.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

i cringe whenever I see XC90s carry those gargantuan ones...

Let me dig out a picture of my set up when I get home tonight.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
I have the Thule Sonic L. It sits right in front of the rear hatch (hatch can still open no issues) and it overhangs the front windshield a bit, and I do see it while driving. If I were to do it again, I would have purchased the Alpine version (lower slung) as the Sonic looks like I'm transporting a small whale on top of my X3.
Interesting that you say it's so big... the Sonic L's dimensions are 73 x 34.5 x 16" (high), and it's 13 cu ft. My Atlantis 1200 (new name for it is Force Alpine)'s dimensions are 81.5 x 24.5 x 17" and it's 12 cu ft, which is as tall as yours, but a 10" longer instead of wider than yours. That's my pic, with the white X3. The height is nice for putting in duffle bags and stuff, but if you're just carrying skis in it, then you don't need the height.

Is it the width you don't like about yours or its height? The Sonic Alpine seems really long to me, at 96 x 27.5 x 11", and is only 10 cu ft of space.

The Yakima LoPro I'm considering would be a bit shorter than that, but I figured if I'm going to spend lots of $ to get a new box, I might as well maximize the space inside, and get a wider box than the Thule. It fits 15 cu. ft.
Appreciate 0