BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Adaptive Cruise Control Stops Vehicle Unnecessarily

I'm a first time BMW owner, a 2016 X3 xLine diesel. A fantastic vehicle except for a few quirky things that I can't seem to get sorted out!

Occasionally I find that the adaptive cruise control system attempts to stop the car when it is really not necessary to do so. On those occasions the driver of a vehicle in front of me makes a left or right turn. Yes, yes, I know my vehicle should slow when the driver in front is making their turn from the lane I'm driving in. That's not what I'm referring to. What I'm referring to is the vehicle slowing when the driver of the vehicle in front makes their turn from a designated turn lane. A lane to the left or right of the lane I'm driving in.

I've experienced a few satiations where the adaptive cruise control almost brings my vehicle to a stop (I cancelled cruise control before it did). I don't understand why this is happening. The vehicle that's turning may be crowding my lane a little but there is certainly sufficient clearance for me to pass without colliding with them.

Why is this happening?

I've looked at but not adjusted settings for frontal crash avoidance. The setting is currently set to maximum. Would setting it to medium reduce or eliminate this behaviour? What happens if I change this setting and I set it to low? Do I risk reducing braking distance that's available when the frontal crash avoidance system identifies an obstacle in front of me?

Any insight into this behaviour would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0