BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #67
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeene View Post
I was fortunate enough to get to spend a few hours in both the Macan S and the Turbo. Unfortunately I drove the turbo first so the regular Macan felt like a bit of a dud. The Turbo blew me away. Fantastic vehicle. Except it would be well over $100K specced out the way I'd like it.

I have a dog, a big one. Right now I drive a 328 touring. I still can't get my head around the 4 cylinder. It works fine and the noises they pipe into the cabin are adequate but god I wish they'd give us something like the Macan or the SQ5 or a 335 touring. Don't care for the styling of the X3 and the X4 just won't work for the dog. I need enough room for him to ride in the back and the Macan is just big enough though he's not real happy about it. I think my next car will likely be the SQ5.
So, If I understood this correctly, you would go for the Macan because of your dog? So it is a good car for dogs? I might agree
Not for nothing- my dog is why I have an X3. Different strokes.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #68
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 and X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie View Post
So, If I understood this correctly, you would go for the Macan because of your dog? So it is a good car for dogs? I might agree
I like dogs also but not enough to change my car pick
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #69
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
Surf

I have a brand new X3 also besides my X4 and guess what ? I love my X3 a lot.. We use it everyday and the X4 for more special events..

The X3 was a quick decision to replace my dreaded X1.. The X3 is wonderful and is 75% or more as fun as the X4.. We have the Space Gray with the 3.5 and loaded up with LEDs and stuff and its really great. What year is yours ?

The new X3s are so surprising how nice they are and I can see why you like it. The X4 is just special and different and for a totally different crowd. For me its my executive cruiser where I goto customers homes and stuff and its just fun and and a little showy but the X3 is superb.. I actually like my X3 more than my old X6's and X5's..

Both the X3/X4 are super refined now and offer so much fun for not that much money.

Enjoy my friend

Do yourself a favor and drive the X4 when you get a chance , You will be blown away.

Craig
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #70
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatermax
Quote:
Surf

I have a brand new X3 also besides my X4 and guess what ? I love my X3 a lot.. We use it everyday and the X4 for more special events..

The X3 was a quick decision to replace my dreaded X1.. The X3 is wonderful and is 75% or more as fun as the X4.. We have the Space Gray with the 3.5 and loaded up with LEDs and stuff and its really great. What year is yours ?

The new X3s are so surprising how nice they are and I can see why you like it. The X4 is just special and different and for a totally different crowd. For me its my executive cruiser where I goto customers homes and stuff and its just fun and and a little showy but the X3 is superb.. I actually like my X3 more than my old X6's and X5's..

Both the X3/X4 are super refined now and offer so much fun for not that much money.

Enjoy my friend

Do yourself a favor and drive the X4 when you get a chance , You will be blown away.

Craig
Don't get me wrong- I like the X4 and appreciate the attraction for folks who would cross shop a coupe, but want more storage, a command driving position and better winter handling (xDrive, ground clearance, etc.). I also think it's a better value and possibly more practical than the Macan.

Our X3 is a 2015 xDrive 35i M Sport, space gray on oyster.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #71
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeene View Post
I was fortunate enough to get to spend a few hours in both the Macan S and the Turbo. Unfortunately I drove the turbo first so the regular Macan felt like a bit of a dud. The Turbo blew me away. Fantastic vehicle. Except it would be well over $100K specced out the way I'd like it.

I have a dog, a big one. Right now I drive a 328 touring. I still can't get my head around the 4 cylinder. It works fine and the noises they pipe into the cabin are adequate but god I wish they'd give us something like the Macan or the SQ5 or a 335 touring. Don't care for the styling of the X3 and the X4 just won't work for the dog. I need enough room for him to ride in the back and the Macan is just big enough though he's not real happy about it. I think my next car will likely be the SQ5.
No if I didn't have a big dog I'd go for the Macan. It's too small in the back for my dog. I'm hating the 4 cylinder in the dog's car which is an f31 328 touring. I'll likely get an SQ5 for the dog and winter and stick with an M3 for summer.

The Turbo is no dog. I've been driving E90 M3's since they came out in 2008 and the Macan is the first vehicle I've driven that makes me actually want to part with the M3. It has to be nearly as fast and sticks to the road like sh1t to a blanket. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun as the M3 on the track but as a dd it's a pretty compelling package.

Haven't driven the f80 M3 yet though.
      10-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #72
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Don't get me wrong- I like the X4 and appreciate the attraction for folks who would cross shop a coupe, but want more storage, a command driving position and better winter handling (xDrive, ground clearance, etc.). I also think it's a better value and possibly more practical than the Macan.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #73
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I know this is an X4 forum but and I AM a huge BW fan 15yrs plus of their cars but the X4 needs some serious discount to compete with the Macan. The long lead time is its only flaw really.
      10-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #74
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM4 View Post
I know this is an X4 forum but and I AM a huge BW fan 15yrs plus of their cars but the X4 needs some serious discount to compete with the Macan. The long lead time is its only flaw really.
Chester

Read my section on Macan and all of its issues.. Its longer than your arm.. The Macan is a mess in almost every way. Its heavy feeling and the furthest from Nimble. There are design flaws that can't be fixed with the hook. Alarm systems that are failed and can not be fixed and the list goes on.

Worse is that is drives like a slug.. Floats along like a smaller Cayenne. I love the reviewers that compare them and they have them for one day. I had it for a month and theres no comparison. The macan's build quality is awful and because it says porsche means nothing any longer.

The X4 is light years ahead of Porsche in every way and is faster and steers 100X better. The tight steering on the X4 is worth it alone and the big fat M Wheel is awesome. The Macan steering wheel is 1980's..

C
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #75
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
You are trying too hard. Light years ahead of Porsche? Enjoy your x4 but don't go that far
      10-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #76
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
You are trying too hard. Light years ahead of Porsche? Enjoy your x4 but don't go that far
In the Tech department it sure is, and all reviewers agree on that point, you just can't best idrive there.
Appreciate 0