BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » F25 Panoramic Noise Issue

12-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #23
jman103099

Drives: 2011 E90 & 2011 F25

I'll probably try this at some point. I did something very similar in my e83 X3 as well and it took care of the issue.

Now if I could only figure out the rattle under the drivers' footwell... today I thought it might be the little storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel (no, there isnt anything in there).
jman103099 is offline   United_States
      12-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
etelbot
ZitoHellada

Drives: '13 X3 35i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman103099 View Post
I'll probably try this at some point. I did something very similar in my e83 X3 as well and it took care of the issue.

Now if I could only figure out the rattle under the drivers' footwell... today I thought it might be the little storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel (no, there isnt anything in there).
I've been experiencing a rattle under the driver's side footwell as well. I tried ignoring it to no avail. In my case it turned out to be the hood release lever that was occasionally rattling/hitting the footwell.

At risk I've being named the velcro man (i dont work for Velcro I swear , but again I applied a small piece of velcro or felt next to the lever and the sound seems to be gone.

Overall this car is great but these little annoyances really dictate what a customer perceives as build quality or lack thereof.

Now if someone can tell me how to fix the center/dashboard speaker rattle/creek I would be most appreciative...

I dont like losing time at dealers...
      12-23-2012, 01:46 AM   #25
nyalpine90
Major General

Drives: '15 X3 28i cCB

Garage List
2012 X3  [3.83]
Send a message via MSN to nyalpine90
The Foreman , service advisor and myself went for test ride to replicate the noise. First few minutes very quite until I told the service advisor to speed up upto 35mph and driver over a bump. Guess what, the noise was heard lol Foreman couldnt believe it, he had driven the x and didnt hear any rattle. Solution was to put felt tape around glass panel where plastic cover would make contact.
      01-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #26
CPH79KPH

Drives: 2011 Space Grey X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by etelbot View Post
***IMPORTANT: If you buy velcro, make sure to use the soft velcro sticker pieces that come in the package, if you use the hard side, it may create noise rather than dampen.

Sorry for the tardy reply. Please see attached photos. So my method was to "over engineer", aka I went a little overboard and placed velcro strips pretty much everywhere. But I am 99% sure the ones that made the difference were the long horizontal strips I placed across the length of the plastic divide as indicated by the red arrows... Sorry if it's not all that clear. It was a lot of trial and error, it took me almost a week of applying and then driving till I managed to get the soft velcro in the right place.

I'm sure you are also wondering if the velcro interferes with the operation of the sunroof, I am happy to say it does not. The pieces are thin enough that everything is pretty much flush.
So, did you pull down the black cover piece and line the inside portion? I just want to be clear. This just started happening in mine when temps dipped into the teens here last week. I'm in Louisville, KY, so we have crazy ups and downs in our weather. For instance, it is going to be 68 with possible tornadoes tonight, followed by snow on Thursday. So, the noise has stopped as the plastic expanded with the humidity in the air the last couple of days.
      01-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #27
John117

Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Sunroof noise - etelbot has got it right

I had the same problem with the arrival of below zero temps.

The dealer was familiar with the issue and fixed it right away.
      02-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #28
swag

Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Is there a bulletin for a fix for this?
I ask because I took mine in for the roof noise and of course they didn't hear anything. It was also warmer today then usually when it's cold.
I told him to hold onto it till tomorrow and test drive first thing in the morning.
I guess the fix can vary from dealer to dealer.
Thanks.

"Update"
The dealer heard the noise the following AM when it was cold and fixed the issue.
The invoice says they used "Tape" to fix the issue.
It doesn't make a sound now.

Last edited by swag; 02-14-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Updated
      02-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #29
nyalpine90
Major General

Drives: '15 X3 28i cCB

Garage List
2012 X3  [3.83]
Send a message via MSN to nyalpine90
no bulletin yet. this is an easy fix just add on felt tape along glass below plastic cover center piece.
      02-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #30
Crash Test
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

My dealer tried to fix these sunroof noises multiple times using tape but it never improved. BMW approved a warranty replacement of the sunroof which was completed last week. Problem solved! The car is quite for the first time since November and I am enjoying driving the car again