BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Key Range- Keyless Ignition

Hi,

This is more out of interest- how far is the key range for the X3 starting system? And does the car cut out if the key is removed when running?

The reason I ask the question- the other day I started the X3, then drove the car around to my garage, got out of the car with the key to unlock the garage.
I thought that the engine would stop because the key was no longer in the car, but it didn't.
I'm starting to think that once the car is running it doesn't check for key presence until you try to start it again.
So could I (in theory), start the car, put the keys in house and then drive off? Use this for Valet parking?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

You can work out the range by trying to press the stop/start button with the key held in various positions when the ignition is off. It has to be quite close (probably less than 1 meter) and you get a "no key present" error if it's too far away. There is no check after the ignition is started and no cut out if the key is removed - to my knowledge anyway. Re. valet parking, OK if you're happy for it to be left parked unlocked

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI

Well, you are wrong with the concept.
In order to start the vehicle you NEED the key present in the cabin. But in order to have the engine running (after it is started), you DO NOT. You can throw the keys away through the window while driving and the car will run just fine, it is just, when you turn it off, it won't restart. As for the range, since it is an RFID communication, it is not a great range, within a cabin only.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

The X3 gives a warning if you leave the engine running and get out of the car (far enough away, of course). Mine does it every time a go to get my mail. The engine keeps running. IF you try to start without the key basically in the car, it won't.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

its a safety issue. If there was a battery failure in the key you wouldn't want the car to shut off on you while you're driving ...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

It's a keyless car for convenience but there is a button to start/ stop. Does any one have remote start/ stop?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #7
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
its a safety issue. If there was a battery failure in the key you wouldn't want the car to shut off on you while you're driving ...
I agree, it just makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have thought that the element in the key that enables engine start is not battery powered. Again I'm guessing that the car uses NFC to check for a passive component in the key. The battery in the key is just for the door/ boot(trunk) unlock function.

Can anyone confirm
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have thought that the element in the key that enables engine start is not battery powered. Again I'm guessing that the car uses NFC to check for a passive component in the key. The battery in the key is just for the door/ boot(trunk) unlock function.

Can anyone confirm
There are TWO elements in the keyfob: one, active is responsible for enabling you to start the car with the keyfob in the cabin, and that one is battery powered, and the second one, very short range, that you need to hold to the steering column in the event of a battery failure.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
There are TWO elements in the keyfob: one, active is responsible for enabling you to start the car with the keyfob in the cabin, and that one is battery powered, and the second one, very short range, that you need to hold to the steering column in the event of a battery failure.
I'm amazed that there is an always on active component in the fob. I would have thought the small battery wouldn't last too long, or is it very low power.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

My guess would be it contains a RFID chip and therefore may not need a battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm amazed that there is an always on active component in the fob. I would have thought the small battery wouldn't last too long, or is it very low power.
I think it's only always active if you have a comfort access / keyless entry fob. Otherwise I assume non-powered RFID as suggested above

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I think it's only always active if you have a comfort access / keyless entry fob. Otherwise I assume non-powered RFID as suggested above
Just tested- I opened the car from a distance, then removed the battery from the fob. The X3 would not start and eventually prompted me on the drivers display to hold the fob near to the emergency sensor on the steering column. Started ok once the batteryless fob was held close to the zone. Turned the engine off. Reinserted the battery and tried again, car fired up with the key in the cubby hole in front of the gear selector (as per usual).

So it looks like there is an active component (what is it?) in the fob for key in car start-up, and also a emergency non active chip for when the fob battery dies?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just tested- I opened the car from a distance, then removed the battery from the fob. The X3 would not start and eventually prompted me on the drivers display to hold the fob near to the emergency sensor on the steering column. Started ok once the batteryless fob was held close to the zone. Turned the engine off. Reinserted the battery and tried again, car fired up with the key in the cubby hole in front of the gear selector (as per usual).

So it looks like there is an active component (what is it?) in the fob for key in car start-up, and also a emergency non active chip for when the fob battery dies?
Told you. Above.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
Told you. Above.
Sorry to doubt you- sometimes I just need to prove it to myself
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
slyfox
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3-20d (2013)

I have heard from a freind of mine of the following problem.

Husband and wife driving in the car. The husband (driver) who has the key in his pocket, stops and gets out at a car showroom (let's say). the wife (not interested) says that she is going to the shopping center a little further down the road. She then gets in the car and drives off.
Problem is she does not have the KEY!! She does realise this until she needs to lock or restart the car!!

Moral of the story is always give the driver the key..
It use to be so simple in the "old" days
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox View Post
Husband and wife driving in the car. The husband (driver) who has the key in his pocket, stops and gets out at a car showroom (let's say). the wife (not interested) says that she is going to the shopping center a little further down the road.
- I have one of those

However, we don't have this problem because we have memory seats and we would have switch profiles first which one would mean the wife would use her key to switch the seats before going shopping

Appreciate 0