BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Tailgate lift arm replacement

Started getting the 3/4 open/close issue, where you have to manually push the hatch closed or open all the way. This is for powered tailgates....

Code reader tells me left lift hall sensor issue. Of all places, ordered from turner motorsports, cheapest by ~5% (not anymore apparently)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2120

#9 51247232004

More info: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...tem/1VnYwt7N6i

Install: remove cover from amp on left side - where the tool storage is (you know there is a tool storage area, right?).

Pull loose the upper left plastic trim piece (where the rear speaker would be) I could never figure out how to fully remove, but ended up not needing to. Pull down the headliner slightly. Now from the drip rail - pull loose the cabling and rubber grommet. Wiggle the wire and you can see it runs down the back, with 4 tabs securing. Pull these tabs out, and unplug the old unit. I used a string tied to the old plug to use as a "chase" for re-assembly. Pull the old cable out slowly. Once out, swap the strut (may have to pull off the old metal clips). The trunk is heavy, support it prior to removal and during swap.

Replacement is the opposite. No other issues to report, didn't unplug the battery or have to do anything else.
Appreciate 1