BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Some Pictures and thoughts on my 1200 mile trip back from PCD

I picked up my X3 35i at the Performance Center in Spartanburg, SC. This is my first BMW and it was a great way to get my X3. I would recommend PCD to anyone if you are able to take advantage of it. I really enjoyed the on-track driving experience and it was nice to be able to push their X3 and not worrying about mine.

My wife and I took our time driving back home and stopped at the Biltmore Mansion, drove through Smokey Mountain National park in Tennessee, and stopped at Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. Overall I put on 1200 miles during the drive back home. The first half of the drive was through a lot of hills, twisty roads, and mountains. The last half of the trip was the boring freeway, including one day of nonstop rain.

I did get a lot of quality time in the new X3 and I will give you my observations so far. I really love the car, it is comfortable, drives great, and the power is excellent. Obviously driving though the Smoky Mountains was my favorite part of the drive, and the X3 was great on the twisty roads. The sports seats were very comfortable and better than the standard seats in the X3 I test drove. We used the Navigation system the whole time, as we really didn’t have a set route or timeline for the trip back. I thought the Nav worked very well and I like the added directions that show up in the dash, in addition to the main Nav screen. I entered all the address and places we wanted to go using the voice recognition system and it also worked perfectly for me. I also think the Top View system is great.

After a day of driving in the rain I didn’t notice problems with water leaking into the cabin at all. I also have not notice any of the lag during acceleration from a stop as described by others on this forum. We also spent several hours cruising between 80 mph and 90 mph and I did not think the wind noise was excessive.

I do love the Deep Sea Blue and Oyster interior that I chose. I didn’t see either in person before I ordered; I made my choices based on numerous photos’ I found on this forum. I did get the premium sound package with my X3 and while I don’t consider myself a huge audiophile I do have a decent home system and I enjoy music. After disabling the surround sound feature and tweaking the tone and EQ setting I am happy with the quality of the sound system. I listen to a lot of Satellite radio and I used my iPhone a bunch on the trip, both worked great. The lighting package in the X3 is really cool. I love all of the little accent lights in the door pockets and door handles.

Finally on was ready to place my order back in August but I decided to hold out for 2012 model and I am glad I did. Mainly because with the sports package on the 2012 models you get the 19” 309 wheels and the anthracite headliner. I really like how both of them look. I also like the gloss black trim but I wouldn’t have waited for that option. I have an appointment with the dealer next Wednesday to get the trailer hitch installed so hopefully that will go well. So far everything has been great.

Name:  IMG_0682.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  173.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0687.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  251.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0678.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  189.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0689.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  115.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0690.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  141.3 KB
      11-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Looks Great enjoy.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Looks fantastic . Congrats and enjoy

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

That DSB has grown on me especially with oyster/sienna

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Looks great. Really like the DSB.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Beautiful color combo! Enjoy.

We want pictures next February from WI.

Lived in Delafield, WI for a couple of years! Loved it this time of year.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
Botwin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 WRX Limited

Nice Color!, Congrats

You're right, the Anthracite head liner looks great! I just did a PCD a few days ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

What a great car you picked up! Congrats on the car, and glad you had fun at the Performance Center!
      11-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Beautiful color combo! Enjoy.

We want pictures next February from WI.

Lived in Delafield, WI for a couple of years! Loved it this time of year.
Hopefully I will be still snowmobiling in February. It has been good the last 3 years.
      11-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Car looks great! Sounds like it was a good trip back from PCD. Interested to hear your thoughts on the hitch.

Enjoy!!
      11-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Car looks great! Sounds like it was a good trip back from PCD. Interested to hear your thoughts on the hitch.

Enjoy!!
I got the hitch installed today. Total cost was $1,100 and it took about 4 hours to complete. I haven't towed anything yet but I will test it out this weekend when I pull my snowmobiles out of storage. The hitch looks nice and includes a round 7 pin and a flat 4 pin electrical connector. It does integrate with iDrive nicely as I now have an option on the backup camera to zoom in on the hitch. It zooms in close on the hitch and displays some nice guidelines to get it lined up with the trailer. I think it will come in handy. It's also suppose to disable the rear park distance sensors when you have the trailer connected.
      11-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Beautiful!