BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Nail in Tyre (Conti CS3) unable to source?!

Managed to get a nail in one of my rear tyres today, Conti Sport contact 3. I have BMW tyre insurance, but I've called a couple of dealers and they both say that there are none of these tyres available anywhere.

I've yet to call non dealers yet, because the claim would be straight forward via the dealer, but if they cannot get them and are suggesting I change to a Dunlop then I really need to change both. However, the price of these tyres at BMW is ridiculous at £413.00 when Black Circles lists them at £262.

Another option is to just stick a set of winter wheels on from the dealer, and sort out the summer tyre when they are available, again very expensive considering I never intended to switch to them.

Anyone else had problems?

I will call some normal tyre places tomorrow to see if they can source them and then maybe complete a claim form and see if they refund me.. but at the prices BMW want, I can get both tyres for the cost of single tyre so if the claim was rejected for any reason, I wouldn't get screwed by the dealer prices.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Managed to get a nail in one of my rear tyres today, Conti Sport contact 3. I have BMW tyre insurance, but I've called a couple of dealers and they both say that there are none of these tyres available anywhere.

I've yet to call non dealers yet, because the claim would be straight forward via the dealer, but if they cannot get them and are suggesting I change to a Dunlop then I really need to change both. However, the price of these tyres at BMW is ridiculous at £413.00 when Black Circles lists them at £262.

Another option is to just stick a set of winter wheels on from the dealer, and sort out the summer tyre when they are available, again very expensive considering I never intended to switch to them.

Anyone else had problems?

I will call some normal tyre places tomorrow to see if they can source them and then maybe complete a claim form and see if they refund me.. but at the prices BMW want, I can get both tyres for the cost of single tyre so if the claim was rejected for any reason, I wouldn't get screwed by the dealer prices.

Can't you just plug the hole in the tyre? If it's just a nail every dealer should be able to fix that for a sum of 50-80 $

Done this a couple of times with previous cars even runflats. Lasts as long as the tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
BMW Tyre insurance says they must be replaced and not repaired.. maybe i can get it repaired in a local tyre depot and stuff the claim might be easier. Wasnt aware you could repair them
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI

I am pretty sure you would need to change all four, unless you have your dealer shave your replacement tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
JimmyTheHand
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
I am pretty sure you would need to change all four, unless you have your dealer shave your replacement tire.
when I replaced the rear tyres on my E83 - the new tyres were about as close to the front ones in size as the one's taken off
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I am going to try and find 2 replacements elsewhere, if I cant find them ill call BMW Emergency service and then they can give me a replacement car until they can source the tyres they put on the car
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

CS3s are on my 19" 309s too so I assume they are fitted to quite a few new X3s, and despite this, BMW can't source them, and yet they charge for "insurance". Hmmmm.

Not sure what the smallprint says but can't you push for both tyres being replaced on the claim, or accidentally drive over another nail?!

Let us know how you get on - good luck

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
These tyres are not available anywhere, period.

I've spoken to BMW UK, and they have said the only options open to me are (and they accept this is BMWs problem and not mine)

1. The dealer provides a replacement car until such time as a tyre is available
2. The dealer provides you with a different tyre and I pay for the 2nd tyre to keep the axle the same.

Those are the only options.

BMW seem to offer the Dunlops as the only other tyre...

Spoken to local garage, they are going to repair the puncture for now so at least I have something, I don't want to be given some crap 116 as a replacement for an unknown period.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
What other tyres are people changing to, maybe I'll just go for something totally different myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
The only option seems to be;

Goodyear
Dunlop or Pirelli PZero.

The PZero seems a bad idea, and is more sports and doesn't protect the RIM, so its gonna have to be Goodyear / Dunlop both very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

What about get the dealer to put the most expensive stock replacement on. Keep your punctured tyre and go get it repaired and get the shop to swap it back into your car. Flog the new one on eBay or keep it for a rainy day
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Tyre insurance only covers upto 300
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
These tyres are not available anywhere, period.

I've spoken to BMW UK, and they have said the only options open to me are (and they accept this is BMWs problem and not mine)

1. The dealer provides a replacement car until such time as a tyre is available
2. The dealer provides you with a different tyre and I pay for the 2nd tyre to keep the axle the same.

Those are the only options.

BMW seem to offer the Dunlops as the only other tyre...

Spoken to local garage, they are going to repair the puncture for now so at least I have something, I don't want to be given some crap 116 as a replacement for an unknown period.
- totally agree on that one

I'm concerned about my CS3s now. Will be switching to winters soon so should be OK until March. Wonder how long it will be before they have stock

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Tyre insurance only covers upto 300
So BMW sell you insurance with a max of £300 knowing that the car they are selling it for has tyres for which they charge £413 (but that you can get elsewhere for £262). Each tyre costs you £113 instead of £262. How much was the policy?

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Not an impressive position.. makes me wonder if there is a problem with the CS3's or just run flats on these in general, as locating Dunlops also seems to have been a challenge.

I've got 2 new Goodyear Excellence being delivered tomorrow which I'll get fitted to the rear, then I'll submit a claim for £300 against part of it, not really what I wanted but I just need to get the thing done, and when the fronts come up to be replaced I'll shove some GY on the front.

The insurance was 360 for the 3 years (5 tyre claim max), so I've covered (assuming they pay out) the bulk of that already and for a tyre that I would replace within the next 3 months I guess its not all bad.

The main thing that bothers me in all of this is the typical corporate attitude of BMW when you speak to them.. yes they know there is a problem although they did not elaborate on what the problem was and the limited set of options available. Its catch 22.. if you go with the dealer option and take the replacement car, you are then tied to paying the dealer price for the tyre and putting up with a different car for an unknown period.. and if they decide actually they are not going to be able to source them, they are going to force you to take the Dunlops which then leaves you with different tyres front / rear (as well as making you pay for the other tyre (not so bad if its low, but if it was new?!)

Interestingly one dealer suggested that it was fine to have 2 different tyres on the rear.. not ideal, but not a problem I was told.. er no thank you.. the tyres are the most important things on the thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #16
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Maybe its a scheme to get people to buy a set of winter wheels and tyres instead
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2 new tyres fitted.. along with now 2 damaged allows
Appreciate 0