BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #23
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Thanks again Sfax. Interestingly I have not in recent years had trouble stopping or skidding. My issue has been getting moving from a standing start on slippery surfaces (frost / ice / snow) not least because of lack of grip on even minor hills, uphill ramp out of office garage etc. Might a 7% improvement plus 4 wheel drive get me going as others with similar kit seemed to last winter? That said, I had to push a Range Rover on standard tyres out of my own street last year, despite lots of grit under the tyres so got to be realistic.
I've had a similar experience. My only problems have been in snow getting started. Old car couldn't even get out of my driveway on a relatively small incline - it was compacted snow and the low profile contis were abysmal - I gave up. At that time, winter tyres would have done the trick because of their tread but snow here is so infrequent that's it's not worth the money for me. If we got more snow, it would be worth it, and I'd probably buy a snow shovel too

The other consideration in the UK is that it's all very well heading out in your X3 with winter tyres and blasting through the snow and ice, but when all of the summer tyre brigade get stuck in a blizzard on the way home and the council haven't gritted the roads because they didn't buy enough grit because of cut backs, you end up in the same traffic deadlock chaos as everyone else

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Exactly right and exactly my situation. If winter tyres get me the 30m incline out to the main road and then back then worth it to me, so pleased you think they would make a significant difference. Can see a new winter thread starting on "what works for you?" later in the year.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #25
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Go for it. Will look forward to seeing feedback. You will also avoid the potential embarrassment of owning a big 4 wheel drive SUV/SAV and still getting stuck because of summer tyre tread (like your neighbour's Range Rover)

Look out for my "stuck in the bloody snow, wish i had bought winter tyres" thread in a few months

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:48 AM   #26
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

You might like this on the BMW recommended 17" Dunlops:
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #27
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom