BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2016, 02:38 AM   #1
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Are BMW sneakily 'upgrading' ECU software in europe?

Perhaps you've heard that vauxhall and I think Volvo are sneakily downgrading the car performance if you get the car into service, to try to dodge the bullet of the 'defeat device'...

Is anyone aware if BMW are doing something sneaky on 2.0L engines? My car is due for a service, and the last thing I want is a downgrade in performance...
      02-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
Perhaps you've heard that vauxhall and I think Volvo are sneakily downgrading the car performance if you get the car into service, to try to dodge the bullet of the 'defeat device'...

Is anyone aware if BMW are doing something sneaky on 2.0L engines? My car is due for a service, and the last thing I want is a downgrade in performance...
Can you give a source for that Volvo thing?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

It is highly unlikely that any car manufacturer would take the risk to tamper with cars on the road - rumours spread fast.

This is particularily so with GM (Vauxhall), since they just had the infamous steering lock case. GM is voluntarily exchanging airbags on some SAAB (and Saturn) models although no accidents with faulty airbags on SAABs/Saturns - but Takata airbags.

BMW, Volvo nor Vauxhall has been shown to have defeat devices - just results out limit for tests done in a certain way - which is NOT cheating.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
With the N54 engine there were several software updates performed by BMW. Some owners claimed reduced throttle response or performance after some of the software updates. Other owners did not observe a difference in performance after updates.

There was speculation by some owners that at least one software update was designed in part to prolong the life of the HPFP and/or minimize turbo waste gate problems.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548365
Appreciate 0