BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Dynamic driving control modes questions

OK, so I have an M Sport Package 2014 X3 35, and thought I have a basic understanding of how the different modes and the gear shifter DS work. But then I came across this BMW chart, which has me confused...

I used to think that at a basic level these are the things that are customizable: throttle response, steering response, and transmission behavior. I don't have the dynamic comfort package, so I have left out suspension.

Going from Normal to Sport I figured would turn the throttle and steering response, and possibly the transmission into sport behavior.

1 - But according to this chart, if I have the M sport package, Isn't it saying that whether I am in the Normal or Sport modes, the steering wheel response is always in the Sport setting?

2 - And then it says for the Sport mode, even with the M Sport Package alone, the Dampers also go into Sport setting? That can't be right, if you don't have the dynamic comfort package?

3 - And lastly, none of these modes impact the transmission behavior then? To get the transmission to shift later and downshift quicker, you must move the gear selector over to DS?
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus99; 06-03-2015 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Is that chart from the Canadian site? Because as far as I remember, in 2014, there was nothing in Canada called the "dynamic comfort package" and the only way to get the dynamic suspension in that year was to order the M sport package. That chart also makes it sound like drive modes are an option, and call Comford "Normal" and since they were standard in Canada in 2014 once again I think you're reading a chart about X3s destined for a faraway place.

To answer your questions as best I can:

1. I believe, in regards to your Canadian market M-sport car, you are correct in your original though that when in "Comfort" mode the steering is normal and when in Sport the steering sharpens up. You can probably feel the difference if you toggle it mid-turn. That should give you a clear answer.

2. Can't answer this one, but again, you should be able to feel the difference. Try toggling it on a bumpy road.

3. Transmission behavior is affected by BOTH the drive mode (Sport, Comfort, EcoPro) AND whether the shifter is in D or S.

I do sometimes find myself wishing that you could independently set the values for steering, throttle, transmission and (optional) adaptive dampers like in the Audi Q5... I didn't realize how good that would be while car shopping because I never drove a car with drive modes before.
      06-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

For 2014, the X3 35 definitely could've been optioned with the dynamic comfort package. Here is the ordering guide that shows it.

I found that chart here, though I've not read the thread (I Google image searched what I was looking for), so it's very likely that as typical, there might be a Canadian vs. US difference…

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=521185

there definitely is a difference between steering response in Normal mode vs. Sport mode. As you say, I can feel the steering wheel tight enough right away and get heavier, so that chart must be wrong. And there is no way that without electronically adjusted dampers that come in the dynamic package, they could be adjusted

my biggest confusion was around the transmission response, because one thing I was thinking is that maybe if putting the car in Sport mode adjusts the transmission response, then it would be redundant for me to then move the gear selector to DS as well. And I am almost leaning towards that, because last night during testing, while in Sport mode, I kept a constant speed, and moved the selector from D to DS, and at first, it would shift down once, but then in 5 seconds, shift back to whatever gear I was in D.

Which made me think that Sport mode already puts the transmission into sport setting, and that there's no point then putting the selector into DS as well...

And that only in Normal mode, if you want the shifting to be sporty, is it worth putting the selector into DS.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2014 CDN X3 ORDERING_GUIDE.pdf (611.6 KB, 495 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:23 AM   #4
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Going from Comfort (always engaged after engine restart) to Sport, means:
-changed steering
-changed throttle response
-changed grearbox pattern
-changed dampers

=fun!

Moving the gearlever to left (M/S), engages manual shifting. It will downshift automatically if going slow - no auto upshift.

2014, X4, 35i, M-sport, sport auto, variable sport steering, adaptive dampers, (lowered 35 mm).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
Going from Comfort (always engaged after engine restart) to Sport, means:
-changed steering
-changed throttle response
-changed grearbox pattern
-changed dampers

=fun!

Moving the gearlever to left (M/S), engages manual shifting. It will downshift automatically if going slow - no auto upshift.

2014, X4, 35i, M-sport, sport auto, variable sport steering, adaptive dampers, (lowered 35 mm).
your comment about moving the gear selector to the left isn't completely correct. Moving it to the left just moves it to DS mode. Unless you then move the selector up or down, or use the paddles on the steering wheel, you don't go into manual mode.

Which then still brings me back to my point which is what's the difference between changing to Sport mode for the transmission/gearbox, vs. moving the selector to DS from D.

Lastly, I see you wrote you've lowered your car 35 mm. Which lowering springs did you use, and can you give a review / point me to one if you've already done one?

you luckily have the electronic damper's optioned on your car, which I don't, so your experience will be different than mine when I put Springs on, I'm debating between going with H&R or Eibach. Eibach looks like a lower drop with their US spec spirngs vs. the H&R, so I'd prefer to go with H&R, but I read a review from someone saying they hated how harsh it drove, and even switched back to stock after just a few days.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
your comment about moving the gear selector to the left isn't completely correct. Moving it to the left just moves it to DS mode. Unless you then move the selector up or down, or use the paddles on the steering wheel, you don't go into manual mode.

Which then still brings me back to my point which is what's the difference between changing to Sport mode for the transmission/gearbox, vs. moving the selector to DS from D.
Do you have the Sport Automatic Transmission (SAT)? If so there are subtle differences to the programming in other model ranges, certainly with the SAT option.

For example in my 5-series, there is a different shift strategy. Makes Sport mode a sort of "half way house" to shifter M/S position.

There is a chart for the 3-series in one of the 'modes topics' on the differences across modes and shifter positions, applies to the 5-series. I'd be surprised if the X3 is any different. No personal experience of the X3, so can't be definite.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post

Lastly, I see you wrote you've lowered your car 35 mm. Which lowering springs did you use, and can you give a review / point me to one if you've already done one?

you luckily have the electronic damper's optioned on your car, which I don't, so your experience will be different than mine when I put Springs on, I'm debating between going with H&R or Eibach. Eibach looks like a lower drop with their US spec spirngs vs. the H&R, so I'd prefer to go with H&R, but I read a review from someone saying they hated how harsh it drove, and even switched back to stock after just a few days.
I believe that just putting the shifter into D/S mode, only activates a "sportier" transmission with higher shifting points, but not necessarily more aggressive shifting (if that makes sense). Thus putting the "sport" (or sport+) mode on and still leaving it in D, will give you aggressive shifting but not as high of shift points (higher, but no where near full activation), then DS plus Sport gives you everything your heart desires, lol
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:49 AM   #8
Tjalle
Major
Rep

Lotus: Thanks, I didn`t know that about the D/S mode.

I installed H&R - a lot of data/discussions/pictures/costs on X4 thread "Lowered.......
I am supplying one picture for lazy readers.

I was a little concerned about harsher ride during first month, but I have got used to it and is now fully enjoing:better sidewindstability, better steering precision, better straight ahead stability,better steer in a curve

Note: A X4 guy from Ireland has switched his RFT:s for other tires - he would like to lower his vehicle, bur "can`t" because of harsh ride - bad roads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 01:11 AM   #9
Tjalle
Major
Rep

Crashnburn: we have 24m (80") longhaulers in Sweden. When overtaking one of these on a winding road in a forest, there is a problem, if using auto. They will go at about 80kph (50 mph), which means that kick-down will downgear from 7/8 to 4:th gear - with a bad jerk. I will instead use manual and domnshift to 4:th prior to overtaking. Means no jerk and overtaking in a few seconds.
Since I (and you) has a performance range of 4000-7000 rpm it works very well - I don`t know how that could be done with a diesel - operating att 2500-4500
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Crashnburn: we have 24m (80") longhaulers in Sweden. When overtaking one of these on a winding road in a forest, there is a problem, if using auto. They will go at about 80kph (50 mph), which means that kick-down will downgear from 7/8 to 4:th gear - with a bad jerk. I will instead use manual and domnshift to 4:th prior to overtaking. Means no jerk and overtaking in a few seconds.
Since I (and you) has a performance range of 4000-7000 rpm it works very well - I don`t know how that could be done with a diesel - operating att 2500-4500
I do just the same in my X3 xDrive30d M Sport. Move gear lever (shifter or whatever you wish to call it) to Manual Sport mode, it drops a gear and the enormous torque pushes you forward when you floor the throttle. Definitely no jerk at any time. It all just happens in the lower RPM range.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #11
Tjalle
Major
Rep

Peter, I buy that - still you don`t have the nice sound of a petrol inline six

Clarification: the longhaulers are 80 feet - not inches.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Peter, I buy that - still you don`t have the nice sound of a petrol inline six

Clarification: the longhaulers are 80 feet - not inches.
I gathered you meant 80 feet.

The inline 6 cylinder diesel still sounds good. IMO better than any 4 pot. The nice thing is that it pushes you along effortlessly without any fuss or bother.

I went from a 6 pot e91 325d to an F31 320d and then on to an X3 xDrive 30d M Sport and I know which engine I would rather have. Having driven several 6 pot BMW petrol engined cars, I have never hankered after the 6 pot petrol full time.

There are many times I drive my X3 like I stole it. If I did that with a 6 pot petrol, I would be getting terrible fuel consumption.

Anyway, I digress, back on topic.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 12:29 AM   #13
Tjalle
Major
Rep

Peter, you are right about the fuel consumption - who cares? It is a neglible part of the total cost - BMW:s don`t come cheap.

I guess that you have not had the twin turbo inline six with the 8 gear Sport Auto - that combo is what makes a 1.9 ton vehicle feel that it is half that weight. I was concerned that I "should have" to chip the engine - but no need.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 02:20 AM   #14
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Peter, you are right about the fuel consumption - who cares? It is a neglible part of the total cost - BMW:s don`t come cheap.

I guess that you have not had the twin turbo inline six with the 8 gear Sport Auto - that combo is what makes a 1.9 ton vehicle feel that it is half that weight. I was concerned that I "should have" to chip the engine - but no need.
The UK version (My X3 xDrive30d M Sport) is the Twin Scroll inline six (single turbo) with the 8 speed Auto Sport Gearbox with the paddles. The only other 3 litre X3 diesel in the UK is the 35d this has the more powerful configuration. It is the same size engine but the twin turbo.

Anyway as said previously back on topic.
Appreciate 0