BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
davea300
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d

'Wallowy' ride

Hi

My 2007 2.0 diesel x3 has stock 17" rims with non rft tyres. Tyre profile is 55. I think the ride is way too soft and bounces you all over the place. I dont really want to go down the route of overfilling the tyres with air all the time so was looking for advice from others who may be on 18"s with a lower profile tyre. Keep in mind im in the uk and our roads are basically the same as a building site.

My e90 3 series is on 18's with 35 profile and the ride is great, its a petrol though

What would you recommend for the x3?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
JimmyTheHand
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3

Probably the first person I have heard describing a E83 X3 ride as 'Wallowy' - harsh, solid, jarring are more more normal descriptions
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
davea300
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHand View Post
Probably the first person I have heard describing a E83 X3 ride as 'Wallowy' - harsh, solid, jarring are more more normal descriptions
What worries me more is that the dealer i got it from said they replaced the front 2 springs just before i bought it! With what asked....cheese?? Its going back in this week as it judders on acceleration as well. I wouldnt mind if it was harsh. Two people have said it makes them feel sea sick!

I want my e90 saloon back
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
JimmyTheHand
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davea300 View Post
What worries me more is that the dealer i got it from said they replaced the front 2 springs just before i bought it! With what asked....cheese?? Its going back in this week as it judders on acceleration as well. I wouldnt mind if it was harsh. Two people have said it makes them feel sea sick!
I wonder if something wrong with suspension. Are dampers OK, push down each corner and release - if bounces several times then sign dampers are shot (though I am not sure how easy to push X3 down enough to do test)

If you haven't a lot of luck here with advice - maybe try bmwland.co.uk and/or ww.pistonheads.com
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
joylove
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHand View Post
This.

An X3 will never ride like an E90. Ever.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
davea300
Private
Scotland
Rep

All fixed free of charge. Turns out they had fitted the wrong tyre size to the rear 2 wheels and a cheaper brand. All four are now Bridgestone's and ride is much improved.

Of course it will never be an e90 like ride, but it was pretty terrible until the dealer swapped the tyres.
Appreciate 0