BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
pantong
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Long road trip during the break-in

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I just ordered my X3 a few days ago and I’m considering taken it to Toronto (it’s about 800 miles round trip from where I live) right after I get it. Does everyone here think it's not a good idea taking a new car for a long road trip during the break-in period? The reason I why ask is because I read somewhere in this forum that people suggested not to use cruise control or drive it at a constant speed during the break-in period. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantong
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I just ordered my X3 a few days ago and IÂ’m considering taken it to Toronto (itÂ’s about 800 miles round trip from where I live) right after I get it. Does everyone here think it's not a good idea taking a new car for a long road trip during the break-in period? The reason I why ask is because I read somewhere in this forum that people suggested not to use cruise control or drive it at a constant speed during the break-in period. Thank you.
I took my new 28i from london to ottawa after purchase. Just vary your speed constantly and follow breaking advice in manual. Had no issues and veh runs excellent , i have 11000km on it now.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
greierasul
electrical engineer
Romania
Rep
Drives: X3 - 2.0 L diesel- 184 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantong View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I just ordered my X3 a few days ago and I’m considering taken it to Toronto (it’s about 800 miles round trip from where I live) right after I get it. Does everyone here think it's not a good idea taking a new car for a long road trip during the break-in period? The reason I why ask is because I read somewhere in this forum that people suggested not to use cruise control or drive it at a constant speed during the break-in period. Thank you.
There are no problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
SR40X3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

My view would be sitting at the same revs for long periods is not good during break in. Vary the speed and revs. Wouldn't worry about limiting revs, drive it as hard as you like...within reason but don't sit at constant revs.

Had an x-trail and straight after pick drove a long motorway trip. For the rest of ownership the gearbox had a kind of drone / noise at exactly motorway cruise revs, always wondered if it was that trip after collection.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

I did the Performance Delivery and drove it from the factory in South Carolina all the way to Arizona. Total trip was around 3000 miles. It was no problem.

During the first 1200 it's important to take it easy. Nothing over 4k RPM and limit your cruise control usage. If you do want to use the cruise control, put it in manual mode and every so often switch it from 8th to 7th to keep the revs varried. You just don't want it to stay at the same RPM for an extended period of time.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
pantong
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Thanks everyone for your help
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

I am puzzled - why would stable RPM be a problem - I do not see a reason for that - why would a piston need to move inside the cylinder at varying speeds - it is still 'traveling' all the same way but the only difference rpm makes is 'intensity' ... or is linked to other parts of the engine?

r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
I did the Performance Delivery and drove it from the factory in South Carolina all the way to Arizona. Total trip was around 3000 miles. It was no problem.

During the first 1200 it's important to take it easy. Nothing over 4k RPM and limit your cruise control usage. If you do want to use the cruise control, put it in manual mode and every so often switch it from 8th to 7th to keep the revs varried. You just don't want it to stay at the same RPM for an extended period of time.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Went from OH to MO and return for a total of 1600 miles. You can use the cruise control if you like to but I manually shift down once in a while to vary the RPM. Don't exceed the break-in RMP and speed thought.

Did the same thing with an ED E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
bayareajimmy
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post
I am puzzled - why would stable RPM be a problem - I do not see a reason for that - why would a piston need to move inside the cylinder at varying speeds - it is still 'traveling' all the same way but the only difference rpm makes is 'intensity' ... or is linked to other parts of the engine?

r
Correct as stated but don't forget the rings are "floating", mating angle with the cylinder and travel distance would vary (even it is extremely small) due to piston travel speed(momentum) and load.
Same would be for all bearings and other mating surface.
All these would be less of a problem these days because the close tolerance achieved by modern manufacturing techniques and knowhows.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

You're basically dealing with different resonating frequencies. When things are first getting broken in you want the frequencies at which these break-in processes happen to vary so everything is nice and even at all frequencies, instead of "grooving" to a specific frequency. To vary the frequencies, you vary the RPM.

You also want to vary the load on the engine, and varying the RPM helps with this as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Also the paint is soft still so bugs and tar are something to worry about.
Appreciate 0