BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-31-2016, 06:54 AM   #45
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R
Andy_o

It must be to do with the part of the country you live in and perhaps the level of disposable income. I live in a village in Oxfordshire that is only 12 miles from the BMW Mini plant and because of that we have a community with many working there in one capacity or another. These people tend to drive BMWs because they get good discounts one way or another and accordingly we see many BMWs sitting on the people's drives.

There are four X3s within one mile of me and two within 200 yards and they are all Space Grey. They are all MSport and 63 plate onwards having Angel Eyes that denotes the upgraded lights.

It is all down to your priorities. In my view you reduce the impact of the cost of Xenons by negotiation or by subtle changes to your desired specification when doing the deal. Also many people just do not realise the difference between visibility of one lighting system over the other until it is too late to change the build specification.

Anyway, gone are the days that you are a captive audience when you need to purchase locally. If you cannot do a deal that suits you locally, then you tell the dealer you are going elsewhere. Around 3 years ago, I met a BMW acquaintance on another forum who lived in Aberdeen. He did a deal with Coopers of Croydon (I think) and stayed with me overnight during the collection of the car. He saved £1500 and that sort of money could get him desirables or essentials that suited him.
Being a Sunday morning and having too much time on my hands, I've just done some very unscientific research on the Bmw auc website

Out of the first 100 cars searched nationally in descending price order 31/100 had xenons fitted

Not scientific I know .. Just a snapshot of what's currently on sale

I'm sure someone will come along and say exactly how many have been sold with/without xenons

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 09:37 AM   #46
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
Being a Sunday morning and having too much time on my hands, I've just done some very unscientific research on the Bmw auc website

Out of the first 100 cars searched nationally in descending price order 31/100 had xenons fitted

Not scientific I know .. Just a snapshot of what's currently on sale

I'm sure someone will come along and say exactly how many have been sold with/without xenons
So 31 out of 100 had Xenons! That does not mean anything. Of the 69 left, you might find many may have been for business and the firms/leases who are not bothered and trim costs to basic models where as the private customer gets down into the small details and wants more.

We have a family friend in the village who is sales manager in another nearby town, so we know what goes on. Also bear in mind that garages pre-order X3s because of the long lead time and when the customer comes along (it is already in build and shortens the wait) he accepts quite a few just standard features without giving it much thought as to difference between the basic halogens and the xenons. It is not until he/she has got past the aurora of the new car and starts looking at the options that he realises. It is not just with BMW that this happens.

Note. You will never get the exact number because there are many cars traded with some for a variety of reasons not appearing on the AUC list. My car was an ex BMW management vehicle and it was never on the list. Also conversely at the biggest UK showroom (Reading) nearly two years ago I saw a very highly specified X3 xDrive35d MSport that had halogens, I asked the salesman why and he said it was a shame because the private individuals who were really interested were turned off it because of the lack of them, but he said to me that options count for nothing and you do not get the cost back....it is lost money. However if it had xenons it would have sold soon after it came in.

We can go round in circles on this. The original poster wanted advice about options and in my view if you are going to be doing a lot of night driving out of towns and cities and will be keeping the car for a long time and want to see well at night then a must have option in my view is xenons. There are questions on different parts of this very large BMW forum on how to convert halogens to xenons. We know the reasons why.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #47
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
So 31 out of 100 had Xenons! That does not mean anything.
We can go round in circles on this. The original poster wanted advice about options and in my view if you are going to be doing a lot of night driving out of towns and cities and will be keeping the car for a long time and want to see well at night then a must have option in my view is xenons. There are questions on different parts of this very large BMW forum on how to convert halogens to xenons. We know the reasons why.
31% means not every BMW is spec'd so it is not seen as essential by a lot of purchasers. Given the OP lives in the states with big wide roads the dangers of driving down dark country lanes is minimal.
No one is saying Xenons are not better - but they are not as essential as you make out.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #48
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
31% means not every BMW is spec'd so it is not seen as essential by a lot of purchasers.
Given the OP lives in the states with big wide roads the dangers of driving down dark country lanes is minimal.
No one is saying Xenons are not better - but they are not as essential as you make out.
Please do me a favour and read everything that I said about dealers pre-ordering basic cars to ensure that there are cars in build when the customer turns up. Dealers know they can sell them whatever the specification. The savy customer who orders from new understands the difference between candles and xenons will in the main go for xenons.

I never made out they were essential. Having spent a lot of time driving around the 4 corner states in the US, very often on empty unlit roads at night, we found it was a boon to have xenons. We drove for miles and could see everything for a good distance ahead. In my view this makes for comfortable and relaxed and safer driving. A whole lot better than driving on the candles supplied on standard cars.

If the original poster is going to spend all his time in the city on lit roads then go for halogen candles if he travels any distance at night on unlit roads, then go for xenons. Just my opinion after owning various cars with different quality lighting. Remember the days where people purchased new cars and the put spotlights on them?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #49
djnemo
Rep
Drives: FJ Cruiser

Closing today on a purchase! 2016 X3 x28i. White with black interior, no options. Leasing for 36 months/36k miles. The only other dealer within a 100 miles that could come close on price offered me Drivers Assistance pkg and Nav for an extra $25/month. However that car had RWD, was silver (my least favorite color) and 19 inch tires (slight preference for 18 inch). I am a little bummed about the lack of a rear view camera, and I'm sure there will be a handful of times where I have to get out of the car to check distance when parallel parking in tight spaces, but overall excited about getting into an X3- a major upgrade in driving experience over my current FJ Cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 03:35 PM   #50
Flipflop99
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI 2.0d SE Auto

Nice one djnemo! Please be sure to post again once you've had the car for a month or so and let us know your thoughts good or bad. Here in the UK rear parking sensors are standard on the X3 and I find them perfectly adequate without a rear view camera but then some people will say they can't do without and I can accept that opinion as we all value different spec for how we drive/where we live etc. Enjoy your lovely car.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #51
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
"Please do me a favour and read everything that I said about dealers pre-ordering basic cars to ensure that there are cars in build when the customer turns up. Dealers know they can sell them whatever the specification. "

That's quite condescending really

Dealers will pre order what sells .. The most popular colours and specs

Not necessarily basic poverty spec models

Lead times were certainly 10 months at one point and with the X3 demand exceeded supply and cars were not routinely ordered for stock .. Each one could be sold retail several times over

More spec means more profit

Dealers had a limited allocation and more people wanting the cars than cars available

In any case spec can be altered until quite close to build date so the spec can still be amended late into the lead times

I made an observation which you dismissed based on your Cotswold village and the four cars in it

BMW's AUC app shows only a third of the cars currently available have xenons

Either way it's a Sunday and not worth the bother

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #52
Flipflop99
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI 2.0d SE Auto

I completely agree with your observations Andy. Where we live (near the Cotswolds) I have seen hardly any other X3's with xenons. Even the Msports I've seen are halogen equipped. Our SE with xenons seems to be a rarity.

On a different note, I spoke to my man at Park Lane BMW the other day and he told me that since the Chinese demand had slowed earlier this year, BMW had given more allocation back to Europe so waiting times have dropped significantly since my 8 month wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 04:12 PM   #53
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

I live in the UK so any comment I offer to a US purchaser would be of limited value since our cars have a different base spec than in other markets. For example, I have read than no UK X3s are sold without leather yet many have criticised the non-leather seats on base US models. As for lights, I have halogen, hardly ever drive at night, certainly not through lanes and would not want any added complexity when they inevitably go wrong. As to cameras, we get PDC which works well and I don't feel the need for a rear camera. As for resale values, I tend to keep my cars but even so I suspect factors such as mileage and frequency of oil change would be more important at least for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #54
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Agree or disagree, the facts are as I stated in the Cotswolds. By the way, go into BMW North Oxford Garage and you will find twice as many cars for sale as are shown in their AUC list. They only put a percentage of cars into it. My 320d Sport never made it, and generally if the cars are not sold in 2 weeks they are sold to trade. Not my words, but the head of sales. Now if you ring them they will deny it. Why....there is a hell of lot of unsold AUC cars out there. Their forecourt is completely full with many now stored around the back.... witness the special sales event last week (again) where I was rung by a salesman inviting me along (again) because I had purchased my car nearly two years ago.

Anyway as I stated to someone who sent me a Private Message tonight, it is not worth people getting upset about an option that costs money that they do not wish to spend. However there is no doubt that if a person wants a better lighting system for more comfortable (easier on the eyes) and safer night driving then there is no doubt that xenons are the way....but wait...LEDs are dearer and being purchased.

See this thread.....

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...1252636&page=3

date 31st July

Funny how people who did not specify xenons need to spend a lot of time in this thread attacking people who have them. You do not have justify why you do not have them, it is your decision. In my view if you can justify the price of the new X3, then you should really consider them or even LEDs because the difference is as chalk to cheese.

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-31-2016 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 01:08 AM   #55
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo View Post
Closing today on a purchase! 2016 X3 x28i. White with black interior, no options. Leasing for 36 months/36k miles. The only other dealer within a 100 miles that could come close on price offered me Drivers Assistance pkg and Nav for an extra $25/month. However that car had RWD, was silver (my least favorite color) and 19 inch tires (slight preference for 18 inch). I am a little bummed about the lack of a rear view camera, and I'm sure there will be a handful of times where I have to get out of the car to check distance when parallel parking in tight spaces, but overall excited about getting into an X3- a major upgrade in driving experience over my current FJ Cruiser.
Congratulations !! I am glad you took my advice and went for a basic one. Never let anyone talk you into spending more than you can or want !
I am sure the new X3 will give you a lot of happy and proud kilometers (or miles...). Post a picture when you got it ! This is important otherwise you will be thrown off this forum
      08-01-2016, 03:27 AM   #56
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Naturally everyone has an opinion. That is all it is!

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/re...crossover-cars

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/re...st-medium-suvs

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/re...est-large-suvs

Can anyone see the X3 on these lists? No! I thought not.....It is just the opinion of the UK car buyer magazine.

Then of course there is the be all and end all of car magazines in the UK

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-ca...to-buy-in-2016

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/x3

For anyone from the US (and the Dutch who should only be riding bicycles) and reading the above links, do not forget in the UK we can only get dirty old diesel engines.

E&OE

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/bmw/x3/suv/review

Then to to add to the debate. Remember it is just an opinion from another forum member.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289691

Do not shoot the messenger, go and tell him yourself in his above thread.

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-01-2016 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #57
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep

I repeat it : how did we for Gods sake drive a car in the eighties and nineties , without xenons ? Maybe we were only driving during day time back than ?

Xenons look good and people buy it to show off. Of course, they try to convince everybody (especially themselves!) that a X3 without this feature is completely worthless. But it is merely to brag. Nothing wrong with it, but just tell it like it is.

And for all those so called "journalists". I have never seen one objective car journalist. But I really do not care much for what these journalists have to say. I can make my own choice without them.

Well, I'll just get on my bike than. But at least I will be driving on the right side of the road....

Last edited by Portimao318; 08-01-2016 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #58
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Duplicate

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-01-2016 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: Duplicate
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #59
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
Xenons look good and people buy it to show off. Of course, they try to convince everybody (especially themselves!) that a X3 without this feature is completely worthless. But it is merely to brag. Nothing wrong with it, but just tell it like it is.
http://www.clipartpanda.com/clipart_...p-art-26559822

Go and tell this guy your findings...

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289691
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #60
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep

I had 2 cars with Xenons before and I cannot say it was that much better. It just looked better.

Everybody should buy what he wants. If its Xenons, thats perfectly allright.
      08-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #61
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
I had 2 cars with Xenons before and I cannot say it was that much better. It just looked better.

Agreed, wasn't all that impressed with the Xenons in my E90 also. It was fun to have to buy a new headlamp housing for my 335i also when the adaptive system malfunctioned. I learned my lesson. Maybe the newer LED headlights are better? I have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #62
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I repeat it : how did we for Gods sake drive a car in the eighties and nineties , without xenons ? Maybe we were only driving during day time back than ?

Quote:

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-01-2016 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #63
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep

pfffff.
      08-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #64
ninkorn
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast809 View Post
so after several months of looking found a used 2015 x3 28i with xdrive base model with 25K mile with no options. No issues, 1 onwer, not accidents got it for 25,500 for a used car dealer. For me at the moment the deal made it woth giving up all the options, color, and anything else I really would want.

First thing I did, was take it to the Manhattan BMW dealer, and they gave me a new loaner with 400 miles on it. several options mine did not have like parking assist and rear view camera.......
Am I understanding correctly that you bought a used BMW from another dealership and then took it to a Manhattan BMW dealership for service?

I just bought a used 2016 BMW X3 (non-CPO) and my understanding was that original warranty does not transfer to a new owner in a resale, and also, if you do not buy your used BMW from authorized BMW dealership, you can't buy BMW extended warranty.

Just want to understand if you bought a used BMW (non-CPO) and if you were able to get BMW extended warranty from Manhattan BMW dealership. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #65
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

We went with a very basic X3 last fall when the wife needed a new vehicle. She wanted to stay below $40k and didn't want any of the tech gadgets as she would never put the effort into learning how to use them.
So we got basic sDrive 28i with lighting pkg, rear view camera, and rear sun shades.

The lighting package makes such a huge difference here on the unlit roads. It's much brighter than the halogen lights, and the way it moves with the roads makes it perfect with the windy roads we have here.

The rear view camera and parking sensors are great when she needs to get into/out of tight spots at work, and the rear sun shades is to keep the baby in back sleeping well.

Over all sticker was a tad above $42k but with negotiations we got it for about $38k + TTL.

Wife uses it as daily commuter to/from work and weekend grocery vehicle. She loves it.

Since it was so basic, we had to order it and it took almost 2 months from order to delivery.

We're not worried about resale as she plans to keep it for 10+ years.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 07:56 PM   #66
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Well, like it or not Halogens are considered as candles by many users in the UK. Some try to kid themselves that they are adequate. Well that is about all they are, but to be honest they are considered useless in country lanes in the UK and can be very tiring if you have to use them for any length of time. I made a mistake over 4 years ago and forgot to specify them on my F31 320d and regretted it for 2 years before selling it on. You only have to ask UK dealers what is asked for and you will find they are specified as adaptive Xenons by most users.

When I traded the F31 320d in for my 10 month old xDrive 30d MSport the first thing I asked the dealer was if it had Xenons and he said it is unusual not to have them on the X3.

In my view after driving for some years (see above Halogen candles on my F31 320d) the BMW adaptive Xenons are the most comfortable on the eyes and easiest systems to drive with. Once you have pressed the button and have the blue adaptive light on you can forget them and concentrate on driving. They are a great safety asset to the car.

From my understanding you cannot get Adaptive Xenons in the US. If you read the following thread, you will find they have to accept standard Xenons that do NOT swivel when you go round corners.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=929114

I have the adaptive Xexons and I live in US that feature is useless to me. All the roads where I live are well lit. And when I am rarely driving out of area the halogens I had on my X1 were quite adequate. I would opt for things like keyless entry, the nav system that lets you store music on it and leather seating...things that you will get use out of every day.
Appreciate 0