BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Pictures at last

Hopefully pictures will appear when I submit this post - first time I have tried to upload so fingers crossed.

Had my car 2 week now so thought I would share my thoughts so far.

Overall very pleased with my car - spec is space grey, black leather, xenon, sport seats, heated seats, DAB, folding mirrors, x-line and business nav. It is always difficult to choose your spec when there is so much choice but to a large extent I was guided by what was available because I bought the dealership showroom model. If I had been speccing to order I wouldn't have gone for Xenon or DAB.

As it happens, these are near the top of my list of must haves now. The xenons are simply unbelievable in terms of light they emit and I would never be without them again. I was totally indifferent about DAB but use it everyday searching out new stations (Absolute Radio 90's is a hit).

The sport seats are great. No elec adjustment (other than side bolsters) despite what it says in the manual and it does take a while to get the settings right but once I hit the right spot then they are very comfy and the bolsters do their job well. Getting the right position is made slightly more tricky with what appear high pedal settings therefore had to set the seat higher too. Not needed to use heated seats yet.

The nav is proving useful as expected but I love the send to car function from google/iphone app. Also love BMW online - the technology packed into this car is just brilliant.

Iphone/bluetooth etc all connected straight away no problems; seeing artwork etc using the white apple cable connected to the USB in armrest. Had no problems with mobile signal strength so not going to bother with a snap-in adapter.

Chrome exhaust - get one. Simple as that. Finishes the rear of the car.

Ride without all the electric trickery is really very good. A colleague commented on the motorway is felt like you were floating along. This is true. Steering has a really good weighting - you can feel the 4 wheel drive, which I like. I accept steering feel is not akin to a 3 series, but this is a much taller car with higher profile tyres so I would expect that. Overall - very very happy and glad I didn't opt for VDC as for what I need in a car it would have been a waste of money.

The engine is good. Can be a bit rattley at low revs but when warm and on the move is it just fine. Manual gearbox now loosening up and I like it. Again, glad I didn't opt for the auto as I greatly prefer the manual and there seemed to be quite a bit of bias towards the auto in all the reviews. The engine works just fine with the manual and third gear ha some great pick up.

I don't so much have wind noise from the drivers door but I do notice the noise of passing traffic quite a lot more than my previous car. Just need to get used to that I guess.

So far - 800 miles - I have averaged just under 40mpg, which I am pleased about. This is a mix of town and motorway and the last 100 miles or so I have been heavier with my right foot so it may drop a little.

Can't think of anything else right now ! Hopefully you are not bored reading down to here
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Looks great. Congrats! I like those alloys in the close up shot.

Another xenon convert! I'm not at all surprised

Great write up too. Hope you go on enjoying it

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

congrats! nobody seems to get the claimed 50.4mpg even when they have 17" rims like yours
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

Great car, nice colour and and you beat the 9 month wait!.
I'm looking forward to "floating" along the motorway.
Thanks for the write-up.

Max3
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Congrats

Great write up and couldnt agree more about the 20d chrome exhaust trim (they should be fitted as standard)

Enjoy

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

I love the overhead shot! Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I am surprised the SUV is a manual unless you tow a lot. Automotic is the only option in Australia. In a sports car like the M3 it's definitely a manual box, but in an SUV it has to be automatic. My humble opinion.

Regardless nice colour and awesome stance especially the first two shots. Congrats on your new toy. Happy motoring.
      05-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Looks great, enjoy
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep

Bugger. One of my rear reflectors has fallen off. The bumper is slightly pushed in where it should clip in so I can't get a firm attachment. to avoid losing it I have taken it off which don't look nice.

I am calling to the dealer on Monday anyway so they can have a look at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
congarts!!! looks great.
Looks like you know what you'll be doing on Monday!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Nice one!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

I like these real life stories from members who have just received their cars. Great report - keep the updates coming as the mile clock up.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Looks really good and thanks for the great review.

Should I keep an eye out for you when I'm next on the A58?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Congrats. It was seeing your car (and I mean yours when it was in the showroom in Leeds) which convinced me to go Space Grey and stick with the 17" wheels. They look proportionate with this colour. On the blue X3 I had for a weekend test drive they looked a bit small.

I'm jealous.
      05-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
Dave904
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Finally someone has reviewed the new X3 with a manual box. I was beginning to think I was the only person who’d ordered it with a manual. I’m sure the auto is excellent as everyone raves on about it, but I just like a manual box. Though I have great concerns regarding the issue of the offset pedals, i.e. the clutch being in line with the steering column. I haven’t driven BMW’s before and a college at work has had to return his 3 series as he can’t get on with the position of the pedals. Is this really an issue on the X3 and more importantly is this car worth the wait. I ordered mine just after the New Year and was given a delivery date of May. This was changed to the end of June, and then to the end of July. Last week it was changed again to the beginning of September and today I’ve received an email stating that it will be sometime in October aaahhh!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Dave904, although I know it is a relatively short experience, I have had about three hours in demonstrator manuals and to be honest didn't find the pedals a problem at all.
When you think about it, why should it be a problem? So long as the throttle is under your right foot and the others are in the correct order you should be OK.

(Ended up ordering the Auto but nothing to do with the pedal positions though.)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
Dave904
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Thanks for the feedback Bustofa, I test drove the X3 for 20 minutes with an auto box ( a long time ago I might add ) as they didn’t have a manual. I wasn’t aware of the offset pedal issue until recently when my colleague at work brought it to my attention. Anyhow good to know that someone who’s picked an auto didn’t slate the manual and it’s pedal positions.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #18
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I thought the manual was fine and it wasn't a trivial call going for the auto. Still have the odd moment when I wonder whether I've made the right choice but if I changed my order, I know that I would then wonder whether I should have one the other way!
Pretty sure though that either box will be brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Beautiful! I think this is the first one I've seen without the pano roof! Nice pics!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 03:04 AM   #20
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep

Bustofa I am on the A58 everyday (or certainly every weekday). Spot me if you can!

Re the offset pedals I haven't found them a problem at all. However I have moved from a merc where they were equally offset. I remember it taking a little while to get used to them but you will do. I think the bigger issue with the pedals is that they are set high (as is the footrest) so you do have to mess with the seat height to get to a position where you can depress the clutch enough to engage it but not be sat with your knees very near the steering wheel when on the footrest. This will be less of an issue for the auto because of cause there is no clutch to engage plus I assume you can put your left foot in the gap rather than use the footrest.

Just persevere with the seat setting and you will get there.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #21
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

I opted for the Auto partly because of the offset (as with the Q5) and traffic queues. Having said that I had a manual on loan for a few weeks and very quickly got used to it.

Either box will be great.

BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE
black sapphire | black nevada leather | wave wood | 19" double spoke alloys | xline | xenons | business advanced media package | electric seats | dab | extended storage | grey shade band | auto
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #22
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I had a test drive in a manual and liked it. In fact, I would have bought a manual if I didn't try the auto. Re. offset pedals / driving position, it takes some getting used to and some seat adjustment (as has been pointed out) and I still don't like using the foot rest and often drive with my left foot on the floor next to it. Ironically the manual might help as you have to use your left foot for the clutch rather than wonder where to put it . The pedals could be better. My VW Golf pedals were much better but it's not a deal breaker, just a learning process.

And yes, worth waiting for although moving your expectation from May to October is hard to take (May was hopelessly optimistic - i.e. a lie - if you ordered in the new year). I was told late Dec and took delivery Feb which was frustrating enough.

I would've bought a Q5 if I was told the X3 had a 10 month wait. I would have regretted it, but that's what I would have done

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0