BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
antjones21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
Coding

Has anyone messed around with coding via Bimmercode? I saw some posts in the X3 forum and was curious about it. Are there any risks to coding or anything? Is it fairly easy to do?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

of course there are risks, otherwise I would have turned on my anti dazzle lights already. why don't you be the guinea pig and tell us all how it goes....lol
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
of course there are risks, otherwise I would have turned on my anti dazzle lights already. why don't you be the guinea pig and tell us all how it goes....lol
Anti dazzle does not work correctly on my '19 x4 m40i. I believe the headlights are missing components required to do it properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrobx View Post
Anti dazzle does not work correctly on my '19 x4 m40i. I believe the headlights are missing components required to do it properly.
I think they would work on mine, when I set the headlights to automatic they slowly lower before switching to low beam when another car approaches, my last x4 was either on or off and these are a much softer effect. that's half of what anti dazzle does, the other being they open up specific tunnels of light. plus there's many on the X3 forum who have coded on their anti dazzle and it works perfectly for them.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #5
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think they would work on mine, when I set the headlights to automatic they slowly lower before switching to low beam when another car approaches, my last x4 was either on or off and these are a much softer effect. that's half of what anti dazzle does, the other being they open up specific tunnels of light. plus there's many on the X3 forum who have coded on their anti dazzle and it works perfectly for them.
Mine do all that fine. There's a specific tunnel shape |___| they need to be able to create for anti-dazzle to work correctly, and mine will not make that pattern, they instead make a blurry /\_/\ and you can see all kinds of light leaking where it's not supposed to when following a car.

It's possible I've missed something when coding, but a friend has a '18 G01 with the exact same coding and his works fine. So BMW may now be using cheaper components in '19 models (there are plenty examples of that in other models, one guy has a car with one good headlamp and one bad one!). The headlamp part numbers are the same.

I turned off the left half of the tunnel to not bother oncoming drivers, and lowered the intensity of the right to give me a little bit of extra light which is still really helpful but it's not correct behavior.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #6
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Quote:
Mine do all that fine. There's a specific tunnel shape |___| they need to be able to create for anti-dazzle to work correctly, and mine will not make that pattern, they instead make a blurry /\_/\ and you can see all kinds of light leaking where it's not supposed to when following a car.

It's possible I've missed something when coding, but a friend has a '18 G01 with the exact same coding and his works fine. So BMW may now be using cheaper components in '19 models (there are plenty examples of that in other models, one guy has a car with one good headlamp and one bad one!). The headlamp part numbers are the same.

I turned off the left half of the tunnel to not bother oncoming drivers, and lowered the intensity of the right to give me a little bit of extra light which is still really helpful but it's not correct behavior.
Did you do the coding with BimmerCode or E-sys
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

and to follow up to the OP this is part of my apprehension.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
Velez933
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4

I've used bimmercode with UniCarScan. I was able to code:
Removed Idrive disclaimer
Removed camera warning
Disabled driver seatbelt warning
Disabled passenger seatbelt warning
Removed mirror tilt
Video playback while in motion
Button on key fob closes trunk
I tried to change the speed limit Info road sign type. That gave me an error that I had to use the backup file to revert it back.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:20 AM   #9
shoneb
Serbia
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

I used Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth.
I did the following:
Removed camera warning,
Activated video in motion,
Changed boot logo,
Activated digital speedometer,
Changed instrument cluster look,
Added M logo to center of instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #10
antjones21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I used the OBDLink MX+ ODB2 with Bimmercode.
I did the following:
Activated video in motion
Activated digital speedometer
Added color Red to ambient lighting
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #11
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Did you do the coding with BimmerCode or E-sys
NGHB can currently only be done with E-sys. You have to make around 200 FDL changes to configure the US headlamp parameters with the euro spec parameters, but enable side marker and some other settings pertaining to the actual light modules alone.

If you code the FLMs straight to euro spec by modifying the FA with the EU type, the side marker lights will go off, but they will otherwise work with no failures. But again my headlamps (in either Euro or the 200+FDL specific changes to more correctly blend US and EU spec) don't seem capable of making the correct patterns.

E-sys is also very fussy with my car and often won't show the mappings when I try to edit the FDL of the BDC_BODY members or FLM.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 06:06 AM   #12
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
NGHB can currently only be done with E-sys. You have to make around 200 FDL changes to configure the US headlamp parameters with the euro spec parameters, but enable side marker and some other settings pertaining to the actual light modules alone.

If you code the FLMs straight to euro spec by modifying the FA with the EU type, the side marker lights will go off, but they will otherwise work with no failures. But again my headlamps (in either Euro or the 200+FDL specific changes to more correctly blend US and EU spec) don't seem capable of making the correct patterns.

E-sys is also very fussy with my car and often won't show the mappings when I try to edit the FDL of the BDC_BODY members or FLM.
That's so disappointing, I guess BMW is thinking "well they can't use it anyway so..." US needs to change our antiquated and stupid headlight laws.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
antjones21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Has anyone been able to successfully get the Alpina instrument cluster to work?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:45 AM   #14
SC11
Private First Class
Rep

Is the lack of boot closure off the key fob a US thing?

Mine has opened and closed it from day one?

I’ve coded
Start in sports Ind
ASD off
Red LED lighting
iDrive M start up screen
Seat belt warning off (drivers & passenger)
Alarm warning when locking it with engine running
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:52 PM   #15
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Is the lack of boot closure off the key fob a US thing?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #16
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antjones21 View Post
I used the OBDLink MX+ ODB2 with Bimmercode.
I did the following:
Activated video in motion
Activated digital speedometer
Added color Red to ambient lighting
What does the digital speedo look like on this car?
      02-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #17
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:

Did you FDL code BDC for your NGHB setup?

Mapping is not issue with car. That is memory problem, fixed by correct configuration.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #18
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Did you FDL code BDC for your NGHB setup?

Mapping is not issue with car. That is memory problem, fixed by correct configuration.
Comparing ECE to US, I haven't found any required FDL codes for BDC_BODY, other than what gets changed when VO-coding with 5AP removed which I did.

I did find that VLD is off when comparing to ECE codes, and turned that on (LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y and C_AFS_ENA). This car does not have 8S4 in its FA, only 5AP so that had to be done by FDL. VLD now seems to work correctly, but NGHB still produces a glaring pattern. Are you aware of others I should try?

And yeah the mapping is definitely something weird with memory/eSys. It never has problems with the mappings that I've read from a G01 on an older iStep. I can usually get it to work by open those first, THEN opening mine. It's a headache but I'm eventually able to do what I need to do.

Last edited by djrobx; 02-17-2019 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #19
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Comparing ECE to US, I haven't found any required FDL codes for BDC_BODY, other than what gets changed when VO-coding with 5AP removed which I did.

I did find that VLD is off when comparing to ECE codes, and turned that on (LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y and C_AFS_ENA). This car does not have 8S4 in its FA, only 5AP so that had to be done by FDL. VLD now seems to work correctly, but NGHB still produces a glaring pattern. Are you aware of others I should try?

And yeah the mapping is definitely something weird with memory/eSys. It never has problems with the mappings that I've read from a G01 on an older iStep. I can usually get it to work by open those first, THEN opening mine. It's a headache but I'm eventually able to do what I need to do.
  • LUT_AFS_CODRV_HOR
  • LUT_AFS_DRV_HOR
  • C_CLC_REV_ENA
  • C_CLC_BLINK_ENA
  • C_CLC_ENA
  • C_AFS_ECO_LEVEL_3_ENA
  • C_AFS_ENA
  • C_BLC_PRE_ENA
  • LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y
  • C_CLC_EXT_ENA
Appreciate 1
djrobx57.00
      03-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #20
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
  • LUT_AFS_CODRV_HOR
  • LUT_AFS_DRV_HOR
  • C_CLC_REV_ENA
  • C_CLC_BLINK_ENA
  • C_CLC_ENA
  • C_AFS_ECO_LEVEL_3_ENA
  • C_AFS_ENA
  • C_BLC_PRE_ENA
  • LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y
  • C_CLC_EXT_ENA
When comparing US with 5AP removed, and Eur spec I have found that only these are different in 1DF8_006_047_003

LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y (Eur: 00 00 14, US: 00 00 00)
C_AFS_ENA (Eur: 1, US: 0)
C_CLC_BLINK_ENA (Eur: 1, US: 0)
C_CLC_REV_ENA (Eur: 1, US: 0)

The others you've listed look to be the same, I.e.

LUT_AFS_CODRV_HOR shows:
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
in both eur and US spec.

There are a couple other related differences with CLC though, but I think CLC is cornering lighting, so I wouldn't think it would impact NGHB?

C_CLC_CURV_V2 (Eur: 23, US: 3C)
C_CLC_CURV_V3 (Eur: 28, US: 46)

C_BLC_PRE_ENA doesn't exist?

1DF8 also looks like it has no other differences aside from the ones we want, so we can just VO code that to ECE spec. It unfortunately does not fix the bad glare on my '19 though.

-- Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #21
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjones21 View Post
Has anyone been able to successfully get the Alpina instrument cluster to work?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #22
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
C_BLC_PRE_ENA doesn't exist?

1DF8 also looks like it has no other differences aside from the ones we want, so we can just VO code that to ECE spec. It unfortunately does not fix the bad glare on my '19 though.

-- Rob
Which Solution are you using? E-sysX, Pro Launcher 3.2, Premium?
Appreciate 0