BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #23
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT_Addict View Post
important thing is quality detergents, excellent cold flow performance, and shorter than recommended oil changes. The BMW factory interval is just asking for trouble if you want to keep the vehicle long term.

this is NOT true at all. BMW has ran tests on their oil and I have even sent in a sample of oil from a BMW computer interval oil change. and the BMW dealership oil, as Blackstone Labs states, "can go even longer" than the 12k mile interval that I went to. I replaced the oil with about 700 miles left. Used 0w-30 and topped off about 1 qt between the 12k. And the computer does adjust for conditions but it is safe to use and will not ask for trouble.
I disagree.

My 09 N52 and 08 N54 (both sold now) have a 20,000km (12,000 miles) oil change interval. My 15 X3 (N55) has a 16,000km (10,000 mile) interval according to the cars CBS computer. Seems strange when older N55s have the same 20,000km interval...

More and more engines at higher mileage are popping up with crank damage, which is usually a result of extending oil changes too long. If you look into it, you'll also learn the N5x crank bearing tolerances are tight for a 30/40 oil which appears to also be a trend among new engines across the industry. Why that matters is that there is a reduced area for oil to generate a film in, low performing oils or aged out oils (because oil gets thicker over time with use due to capturing particles, aka turning black) may not be able to properly lubricate these spaces. This is doubly concerning in freezing temps when the oil is thicker.

I'm not saying the oil CANT go 16,000km but rather that it's a bad idea for these engines.

You do you, it's your car, but I'll continue with a MAX 10,000km (6000 mile) interval... quite happy to see zero sludge in my valvetrain after doing my valve cover gasket this past weekend, and experiencing almost zero oil consumption.

Oil is cheap, replacing an engine due to crank failure isn't.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2