BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
clwguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Tail Light Problem -- I think I'm missing something

I'd be grateful if anyone can help me out with this.

I've read the numerous posts about the tail light issue. I'm having problems with the right outside tail light. The reverse and brake lights work, just the running light that is out.

One of the two bulbs was burned out so I replaced that. That didn't fix the problem so I replaced the circuit board. That didn't work either. When I removed the new circuit board I noticed that the small round part had popped it's cap. I ordered another circuit board and the same thing happened.

I don't know what to do next. It seems as if something is burning out the circuit boards?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

Looks like the coil is broken off from the driver board, try to see if plugging in driver fist will fix your led tail light issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
It's either a shorted LED/wires or defective circuit boards. Use a DVM to measure the resistance of the LED on the bad side and compare the value to the good side.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwguy View Post
I'd be grateful if anyone can help me out with this.

I've read the numerous posts about the tail light issue. I'm having problems with the right outside tail light. The reverse and brake lights work, just the running light that is out.

One of the two bulbs was burned out so I replaced that. That didn't fix the problem so I replaced the circuit board. That didn't work either. When I removed the new circuit board I noticed that the small round part had popped it's cap. I ordered another circuit board and the same thing happened.

I don't know what to do next. It seems as if something is burning out the circuit boards?

Thanks
Coils don't fail like that, its the wire that opens that causes their failures so yours looks like a defective coil housing. Your pic is a bit out of focus so I can't really tell what happened to the wires. However, hopefully you still have your original OEM board because they can usually be repaired if you are handy with a soldering iron and know how to solder and if not, find someone who is. Watch this video.. ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Here is another video, much better lighting and voice where the root cause and solution are the same, so hopefully you have the same issue and can fix it yourself and stop buying parts. Not sure why your replacement board didn't work, maybe it was simply defective as it arrived to you but try this and see if it works. The key here is to apply the 12volts with the original board in place, get a plastic tool like in the video and tap or press on the parts to see if you can get your lights to momentarily light up and which part(s) need resoldered. If so, follow the repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsAkqlqcJFs
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
clwguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Thanks for the tips. The second video is helpful. He makes the soldering look so easy and it probably is if you've had some experience. I did keep the original board and am having someone else try to solder the known resistor.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwguy View Post
Thanks for the tips. The second video is helpful. He makes the soldering look so easy and it probably is if you've had some experience. I did keep the original board and am having someone else try to solder the known resistor.
There are other ways to resolder surface mounted components and that's with a hot air gun. This uses super heated air that blows through a small hole in the tip to focus the air where you want it. It's less likely to burn the board and doesn't require physically touching the components. Either way works.
Appreciate 0