BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #23
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaslDasl View Post
I coded my 2016 successfully. I basically followed the instructions to remove the two options that turn off VLD and anti-dazzle and then VO code every section but the engine.

VLD is very easy to check in your garage or other dark area. Turn the fog lights on and off and you should see the low beams adjust to a new pattern.

The tunneling feature of anti-dazzle is nearly impossible to see without fog. I do definitely see the left beam turning off for oncoming traffic and see the right shoulder well lit when following.

I get flashed once in a while but I attribute it more to the fact that all 4 headlights are on, both top and bottom, than to drivers actually being blinded. Between the high beam assist (which still turns the high beams fully off in many conditions) and the anti-dazzle I'm sure I'm "dazzling" a lot fewer drivers than I would doing my high beams manually.

The VLD is actually quite good. If you pay attention to the beam pattern you will see it adjusting based on speed. At slower speeds it throws a wider pattern and at higher speeds it projects further down the road. Plus it also does the different pattern with fogs.
Coding VLD is easy: just remove 8S4 and VO code FRM. Nothing else is needed.

On the other hand, No-Glare High Beam (NGHB) is quite tricky, as the coding is different from car series to car series and VO coding is not enough (even if you VO code every ECU). When correctly coded, the tunnel is quite obvious even in clear weather and in the 6 months I have this active on my car I have never been flashed.

You might want to read through one of the two threads mentioned in the PDF jponline77 linked (which is taken from this thread in the F80 forum). You will see that people there did try VO coding every ECU: it simply does nothing in addition to simply VO coding FRM, FLA/KAFAS, LHM and TMS (as it can be confirmed through a comparison of the CAFD files before and after VO coding the additional ECUs).

If you are happy with what you have coded, all the better, but you might want to try having somebody else drive behind you in your car and see what you think afterward.
      12-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #24
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M Sport

RaslDasl,

I too rationalized getting flashed with anti-glare. However, now that I fixed it as described in the above thread, I have never been flashed. I don't think you should have anyone flash you if anti-dazzle is coded correctly. I can certainly see the effect and you can see it in the videos. It's just getting it to work "perfectly" that is something I am trying to do here.

dmnc02, I have updated the coding. I will try it tonight. Hopefully it works.

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #25
evilken
Rep
Drives:

Looking forward to the complete write up when your done!!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 01:09 AM   #26
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep

OK, test went well tonight. I was able to capture good video of trailing a car on a few different situations. Tunnel is clear and is always outside the car. Lights seem to be moving vertically too. I think we may have it now.

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #27
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponline77 View Post
OK, test went well tonight. I was able to capture good video of trailing a car on a few different situations. Tunnel is clear and is always outside the car. Lights seem to be moving vertically too. I think we may have it now.

JP
The only light leakage (glare) I can see in that video is on the undulating road at the 1:37-2:07 mark. Interestingly, I just saw the same in a video posted on the other forum of an F15.

In the case of the F3x/F8x, there are differences in the US and ECE settings for two parameters (LUT_HBA_DRV_VERT and LUT_HBA_CODRV_VERT in the PDF you linked) that adjust the vertical offset of the headlights. There is not a similar difference for the F15 or F25, so I am wondering is the vertical aim is adjusted differently at the factory.

Basically, everything looks fine to me in the video, other than perhaps the need to lower the headlights a bit.
      12-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #28
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep

Yeah, that was a very hilly section of the road. I think that even with regular low beams I (or any normal car) would glare them on that hill. As well, given that it's a hill, I think people wouldn't be surprised to get a brief glare as they crest the hill. So, if that's the only side effect left, I think I can live with it.

I have looked very carefully through that section and I do notice the headlights adjusting vertically as I move through the hill. However, it's just not moving as fast as I am over that hill. Therefore, they do get a brief moment of glare.

As for the write up, you've been doing a really good job of writing this up for other cars. Do you want to do this one? Given that you've found all the right things to code, you should get credit for figuring it out.

Otherwise, it's not a problem for me to write it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #29
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponline77 View Post
Yeah, that was a very hilly section of the road. I think that even with regular low beams I (or any normal car) would glare them on that hill. As well, given that it's a hill, I think people wouldn't be surprised to get a brief glare as they crest the hill. So, if that's the only side effect left, I think I can live with it.

I have looked very carefully through that section and I do notice the headlights adjusting vertically as I move through the hill. However, it's just not moving as fast as I am over that hill. Therefore, they do get a brief moment of glare.

As for the write up, you've been doing a really good job of writing this up for other cars. Do you want to do this one? Given that you've found all the right things to code, you should get credit for figuring it out.

Otherwise, it's not a problem for me to write it up.
It is easy enough for me to modify what needs to be modified. I will PM you the PDF so that you can add it to your OP.
      12-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #30
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep

Updated the original post with a link to the document... Also available here: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/attach...1&d=1450979997

Thanks!

JP

Last edited by jponline77; 12-24-2015 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #31
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Finally got mine coded successfully and it appears to be working. I had a couple of werte values wrong from the document.

Now, I'm trying to understand a couple of things:

1) How does the anti dazzle behave with the fog lights on? I notice the main beams are more "inward" and the dynamic shadowing behaves a bit differently.

2) Why is it that with no cars ahead of me in pitch darkness, when I switch from auto high beam to manual high beam, it throws the beam out much further. I would expect the automatic system to do the same as manual if its dark out right? Or is distance the beam is thrown speed dependent?
Appreciate 0