BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
ColoradoX3
Rep
Drives: X3

DHP Comfort Mode

Does anyone know if a 35i M Sport w/ DHP set in Normal mode would set the dampers to comfort or normal? From BMW's site it looks like you can only get comfort mode in DHP if you have the Dynamic Comfort Package(ZNR)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoX3 View Post
Does anyone know if a 35i M Sport w/ DHP set in Normal mode would set the dampers to comfort or normal? From BMW's site it looks like you can only get comfort mode in DHP if you have the Dynamic Comfort Package(ZNR)
You never get comfort mode. Normal
is as comfortable as it gets on the X3. the 5, 6, and 7 all have a comfort mode if equipped with driving mode control switches.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
ColoradoX3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
is as comfortable as it gets on the X3. the 5, 6, and 7 all have a comfort mode if equipped with driving mode control switches.
Ok, so there's really no benefit to getting DHP over non DHP with regard to ride comfort. I assume then that the main benefit to DHP is going to be if you want that extra bit of handling performance in Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Ok, so there's really no benefit to getting DHP over non DHP with regard to ride comfort. I assume then that the main benefit to DHP is going to be if you want that extra bit of handling performance in Sport+.
If comfort is all u want then I guess the standard suspension will be better than DHP cos DHP has stiffer springs than standard.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Lightbulb Modes with DHP

We have customized the sport setting, by selecting chassis only and not adjusting the engine trans settings. This gives you sportier handling (like our 335) without the economy killing settings for the power system. Just a thought. Great reason to buy the DHP.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
ColoradoX3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
If comfort is all u want then I guess the standard suspension will be better than DHP cos DHP has stiffer springs than standard.
The comfort setting is more for the wife when she's driving since it will be a family vehicle. I personally prefer a firmer setup. I was hoping DHP would allow for the best of both.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Ok, so there's really no benefit to getting DHP over non DHP with regard to ride comfort. I assume then that the main benefit to DHP is going to be if you want that extra bit of handling performance in Sport .
I think you misunderstood. The Normal setting is more comfortable than the standard stock suspension, but in terms of an actual feeling of serene, 5 series-like comfort, no you don't get that.

Last edited by xDrive35i; 07-24-2011 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
The comfort setting is more for the wife when she's driving since it will be a family vehicle. I personally prefer a firmer setup. I was hoping DHP would allow for the best of both.
The Normal setting is definitely a smoother ride than the Sport. Whether it's smooth enough is, of course, a big personal preference issue. It doesn't turn a sport car into a luxury boat. You'll be disappointed if you expect that; and if you want that, the X3 would probably not be your car. If having it a bit smoother than Sport will do the trick, I recommend the DHP. Works for me.