BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Bug with Music Collection?

Think I have found my first bug with the software. Surprised it's taken me so long to be honest

OK, so I imported 7GB of music from a USB stick (took about 30 minutes incidentally). Music all on there and it copies the folder structure that was on the USB stick which is all good.

Browse using the folder structure to an album, say Radiohead, The Bends. Start Playback. All good.

Now try using any of the search features, e.g. search by album, search for Radiohead, it picks up all of the albums, so far so good, select an album, start playback, what's this? Tracks are being played in song title alphabetical order! There seems to be no way to change this and I think I am going to have to write something to update the ID3 tags so that every song title is the same as its file name (preceded by a 01, 02 etc) and then upload again. I can't see why anyone would ever want to listen to an album in alphabetical song title order????

If this can't be changed it renders all of the music search functionality useless unless you update every song title using the ID3 tag on the mp3 file before you transfer.

Is there some way to report BMW software bugs (assuming this is an actual bug and not something I can customise) so that they can fix it in future releases?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

To illustrate my point. Here is the same album, firstly by browsing through the folder structure

and then by doing a search for Radiohead and then selecting album The Bends

Note the order of the songs is now incorrect (ordered by song title alphabetically)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

sfax; does this in my MY11 Z as well. Tried to get BMW to address last year, but alas was advised 'this is by design'.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
sfax; does this in my MY11 Z as well. Tried to get BMW to address last year, but alas was advised 'this is by design'.

Dave
Thanks.

Clever design for all those 1000s of people who like to listen to their albums in alphabetical song title order. Brilliant.

Also, as illustrated above, it's "by design", but also not consistent? surely a contradiction?!

I've already written something to update all my song titles so that they are preceded with the track number so I have a work around. The only drawback I can see (other than the fact I have to run it before copying and I'm actually changing the source mp3 files) is that the song title you see displayed will always have 01, 02 preceding it.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Media Monkey is brilliant ripping and burning. It does the 01 , 02 labelling correctly and automatically so you won't have the issues above. It's free to download too.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Report bugs to BMW UK Customer Services, they push relevant items to the appropriate design teams in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Media Monkey is brilliant ripping and burning. It does the 01 , 02 labelling correctly and automatically so you won't have the issues above. It's free to download too.
Thanks. You may be able to use this tool to edit the song title ID3 tags one at a time but I'm not sure if it will do what I need to do which is dynamically edit the song title ID3 tag on each and every one of 20GB of mp3 files. Will take a look in any case

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Report bugs to BMW UK Customer Services, they push relevant items to the appropriate design teams in Munich.
Done - ta

Can't believe I just got this message "This forum requires that you wait 35 seconds between posts. Please try again in 19 seconds.". I'm a suspected spammer!

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Confirmed it's a bug by BMW UK

Quote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 4 March 2011 16:26
Subject: [SRNUMBER=1-6744332586]
To: sXXX@gmail.com

Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for your online enquiry dated March 3, 2011.

I am sorry you have been experiencing a problem with your iDrive system, I can understand how frustrating this must be for you.

I can advise that we are aware of the issue, when you upload music onto the vehicle, the vehicle lists the tracks in alphabetical order. I have passed your email to our product development department for future consideration.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to notify us of your concerns. I have registered details of this contact under case reference number 1-6744332586, which will be used as part of our ongoing product development programme. If you require any further assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
Claire Dale
Customer Information Executive
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Tel: 0800 325600
Fax: 0870 5050 205
Email: customer.information@bmw.co.uk

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Nice...figures my dealership advised incorrectly ('as designed'). I should've knonw better.

I'll be keeping an eye out for a software update (hopefully one that will address both my BMW's!).

Thanks for the follow-up Sfax
Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

This is a horrible software design flaw. Really irritating.

Here's another one for ya. Let me know if you have a fix. Ever tried to play an ipod audiobook in your car? The system can't even find it. And if you make it a playlist, it will just play from the beginning every time.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
Nice...figures my dealership advised incorrectly ('as designed'). I should've knonw better.

I'll be keeping an eye out for a software update (hopefully one that will address both my BMW's!).

Thanks for the follow-up Sfax
Dave
I have written a little utility that will update an entire mp3/wav/wma library's song titles so that they all have the 2 digit track number preceding the song title (the track number is taken from the track # tag or the file name if the tag is missing) .

All albums will then play in the order intended by the artist (rather than the stupid order chosen by someone not very bright at BMW).

It keeps the original song title in the Comments tag on the file so that if you run it again, it reverses the operation and puts everything back how it was (the intention is that you can do this after you have copied your library to your BMW's hard drive)

It seems to work well at the moment but may require a little tweak or two. If you want a copy of the utility just PM me (Windows only)

Screenshots of an album with relevant tags before and after and the final picture is an album playing in my X3 after doing an album search
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Confirmed it's a bug by BMW UK
Hmmmm.
Being a product support engineer for an entirely different product, that reply you got isn't acknowledging a bug. They soft-pedaled an "It's designed that way" reply. Limited in its design? Sure, but not a bug. Yeah, I may be picking at nits here, too.

Hopefully, they'll "fix" it with a free upgrade.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Hmmmm.
Being a product support engineer for an entirely different product, that reply you got isn't acknowledging a bug. They soft-pedaled an "It's designed that way" reply. Limited in its design? Sure, but not a bug. Yeah, I may be picking at nits here, too.

Hopefully, they'll "fix" it with a free upgrade.
True although that depends on the definition of bug. A bug to me is a defect or imperfection. The acknowledged issue "when you upload music onto the vehicle, the vehicle lists the tracks in alphabetical order" is an issue whereby the mp3 player behaves differently to probably every other mp3 player ever produced. Like a DVD player that plays film chapters in reverse and you are unable to change the order of play. That is far from perfect

I write software for a living. We call things that might be wrong with our software issues. The users call them bugs

P.S. I like the way you qualified your job title with "an entirely different product". I wouldn't want to be associated with the alphabetical mp3 player either!

Appreciate 0