BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

2015 Potential Order

So, I drove the X5 diesel, X3 and Cayenne Diesel (I know not the same as X3) back to back and between the X3 and X5, I much preferred the drive of the X3 (thought I would like the X5 more). The X3 seemed more sporty and was more fun to drive. The X5 seemed to wander the road more and was more floaty. The seats and bigger Nav screen were definitely pluses for the X5. I think my wife is leaning towards the X3. The Cayenne was definitely a great drive and felt like a much smaller and better handling SUV than the X5/ The technology in the X5 and X3 is way ahead of the Cayenne.

This is the potential build - would appreciate any recommendations. Considered the DHP, but not sure it would offer much, since we will be driving in comfort mode. Never drive it in sports mode. This will mostly be my wife's car.

BMW X3 28d xDrive
Alpine White
M Sport
Mocha Nevada Leather
Fireline Light High Gloss Wood Trim
LED Lighting Package
Premium Package
Technology Package
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus
Harman Kardon
Rear Manual Side Window Shades
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
Manicureaddict
Rep
Drives: X3

I did not get the DHP, The car has 3 driving modes, eco-pro, comfort and a sport mode, So far we've just been using the comfort but i do have to say the sport is very peppy! I'm not quite sure how the DHP plays out, a lot of folks on here say it's a must , but me and the hubs are not missing it at all.

I didn't get the harman kardon and was worried about not getting it after my car went into build, but after having the car for a few days I am not missing anything, the basic sound system sounds great to me.

only thing I would suggest is if you are considering the x3 you might want to wait a few months when the 2016 build starts from what i've read they'll change over april/june . No one knows yet what changes will be made if any. if you do get a build you have to ask your dealer what kind of allocation they have so that you have a good idea of when the car will be built. For me it was exactly 4 weeks from when i ordered it with the dealer before I had the car. Waiting was the worst but in the end when you see your car exactly how you want it it's totally worth it.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 12:08 AM   #3
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Choose a metallic paint. Looks much sharper and more importantly : metallic paint is far less vulnerable (scratches, dirt, influence of the sun etc).

Last edited by Portimao318; 02-28-2015 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 02:28 AM   #4
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

The standard audio in my pre LCI is the best I have had and get lots of similar comments from passengers who are really impressed by the sound quality.

If you like to keep things tip top then read the threads about the wood trim being hard to stop getting scratched.

One option I thought was a gimmick was the HUD but I really like it. Not sure if it's in one of the packages you mention as different naming to what we get in the UK.
      02-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

I don't think you can get cold weather package on an M sport if you're ordering driver assistance plus. Drivers assistance is required with M sport
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post
One option I thought was a gimmick was the HUD but I really like it. Not sure if it's in one of the packages you mention as different naming to what we get in the UK.
I also thought of the HUD as a gimmick, but I drove a different BMW model with it shortly after we got the X3 and I immediately regretted not ordering it. Next time for sure. The image so looks like it's floating out near the end of the hood.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Really - I wonder why? I have the exact same options on my 2014 328d M Sport. That would be a bummer if that is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynomi6 View Post
I don't think you can get cold weather package on an M sport if you're ordering driver assistance plus. Drivers assistance is required with M sport
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #8
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes, refer to the ordering guide that's on here.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 03:15 AM   #9
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
I also thought of the HUD as a gimmick, but I drove a different BMW model with it shortly after we got the X3 and I immediately regretted not ordering it. Next time for sure. The image so looks like it's floating out near the end of the hood.
I bought my X3 used and luckily it was specced by previous owner. It's great how clear it is and the position means you rarely need to glance at the dash. So far I have found it displays speedo, cruise control, phone calls, sat nav directions including full pics with road signs & lanes, radio channels, music tracks, message warnings like when outside temp hits 3c.

It's a pricey option at best part of £1k in the UK but I really like it.
      03-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #10
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

HUD is fantastic, I'm hooked!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #11
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok - thanks. I guess the X3 probably is out then. My wife wants both the cold weather and driver assistance plus with the M Sport only. Strange that on the 3 Series M Sport and on a X5 M Sport you can order cold weather and drivers assistance plus together. Not sure what BMW is thinking.

Appreciate everyone for the feedback.

Quote:
Yes, refer to the ordering guide that's on here.

Last edited by DBV1; 03-01-2015 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #12
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

You can still order heated seats as stand alone option...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #13
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

If I ordered again, I'd opt for the DHP. The standard steering is a bit too loose for my taste
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah - unfortunately that won't work. My wife wants both cold weather and drivers assistance plus package.

Makes no sense why both are not available to order together, when they are on there are cars.

Quote:
You can still order heated seats as stand alone option...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #15
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV1 View Post
Yeah - unfortunately that won't work. My wife wants both cold weather and drivers assistance plus package.

Makes no sense why both are not available to order together, when they are on there are cars.
It makes perfect sense why they can't be ordered together. There's not an M Sport steering wheel for the X3 which supports both the heating and vibrating functions, choose whichever one is more important to you.

What doesn't make sense is why you have to order the M Sport package to get Sport seats when they even allow you to order them in Canada as a standalone option.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #16
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Really - makes no sense to me. Why not use the X3 or X5 M Sport wheel then? M Sports in those cars can have both cold weather and drivers assistance plus. Or have an option to delete the M Sport steering wheel then. Not that hard to figure out BMW. When you spend $60k on a SUV (with all options selected), you should be able to get what you want.

As I stated before, both are mandatory for my wife - so BMW loses a sale on a X3. Also need M Sport for the sport seats, thus the X Line and no line are out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
It makes perfect sense why they can't be ordered together. There's not an M Sport steering wheel for the X3 which supports both the heating and vibrating functions, choose whichever one is more important to you.

What doesn't make sense is why you have to order the M Sport package to get Sport seats when they even allow you to order them in Canada as a standalone option.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #17
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Agreed, not sure why they don't use the M sport steering wheel that comes with the other models. Perhaps this will change for the new model year...which is only a few months away from production.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #18
Paul_R_Canada
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: MB 2013 GLK250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Now I'm feeling like the second cousin....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #19
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV1 View Post
Really - makes no sense to me. Why not use the X3 or X5 M Sport wheel then? M Sports in those cars can have both cold weather and drivers assistance plus. Or have an option to delete the M Sport steering wheel then. Not that hard to figure out BMW. When you spend $60k on a SUV (with all options selected), you should be able to get what you want.

As I stated before, both are mandatory for my wife - so BMW loses a sale on a X3. Also need M Sport for the sport seats, thus the X Line and no line are out.
BMW NA dictates what options the US market gets, even if the ROW gets the options we're stuck with what they say we can have.

You have to decide which features are more important to you and go with them or like you said, walk and buy something different. I walked over to the Audi dealer because they still don't have an X3M.
Appreciate 0