BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Sun Protection Glass vs Sun Blinds

Hi,

I know a lot of people go for the rear 'Sun protection glass' option because of styling reasons, but am curious what people think regarding glare for rear passengers, children in particular.

I asked in another thread where I saw someone had both Sun Protection Glass + Sun Blinds, I can't remember which thread that was now, but would like more opinions if possible.

Currently, I have spec'd with Sun Protection Glass only. My current E91 has rear blinds - which have been good, but I hired a Ford SUV on holiday in the summer, it had tinted rear windows and it seemed very effective.

What do people think?? SPG or SB or both needed?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
mcmasman
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW X3 2.0D msport

In my experience tinted windows (or some say privacy glass) are sufficient. Looks good too.

The manual pull up blinds are only needed if your passengers are often exposed to low angle sun.

I doubt pull-up blinds will be considered a show-stopper at resale but tinted windows might. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Both, BMW factory tints are for styling only and make very little difference

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Ah Bimmer UK, you were the one who ordered both!

Since they call it "Sun Protection Glass" here in the UK, can I sue them if it makes little difference and doesn't do what it says on the tin?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite View Post
Ah Bimmer UK, you were the one who ordered both!

Since they call it "Sun Protection Glass" here in the UK, can I sue them if it makes little difference and doesn't do what it says on the tin?

Sfax gone for both also + another from memory

I have the factory tint on my current E60 520 but my son always seems to have the sun in his eyes when it is low and went for the blinds to solve this

See http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...=486562&page=2

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I ordered both because Bimmer told me too But seriously, Bimmer makes a good point and the baby comes first. Also, I don't want my mrs buying some Bart Simpson sun blinds and installing them in my (I mean our!) new X3!

Oh, and I ordered the UV band on the windscreen too (part of climate comfort package). I only went for this because I had ordered everything else in that package separately (sunroof too) so it made sense (I think!).

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Also, I don't want my mrs buying some Bart Simpson sun blinds and installing them in my (I mean our!)
+1

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

The sun protection glass reduced the in car temp when parked in direct sunlight.

One of my concerns though, is in the dark and if the ability to see through the rear windows (i.e. performing a shoulder check) is almost zero.

Personally I've never been a fan of dark tints like 'pimp my ride' chav motors and believe that sunblinds provide the best compromise for daylight and darkness performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I don't want my mrs buying some Bart Simpson sun blinds and installing them in my (I mean our!) new X3!
- +1 - I agree, it wouldn't be the mrs in my case, it would be me I fear, my wife has already warned me, she doesn't some mickey mouse stick on blind, she likes built-in ones we have in the E91.

ho-hum looks like I'll be adding!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 04:05 AM   #10
Evlengr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 MT X3 and 2010 MT MCS

Defintely both. We had to add a sunshade for my little girl as she would bake in the sun even with tinted glass.

That will be a certainty on the new x3 if we decide to go that route this summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 04:48 AM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I like the side shades. They do reduce the light noticeably, as well as the visibility from outside which I like. Once used to it, it's not hard to look through them when necessary particularly if your mirrors are set correctly and you're doing it only as a triple-check or when backing out of a parking spot or something.

Wish they were automatic. Actually wouldn't mind having a rear shade like the sedan, but I suppose that could be a bit funky with cargo and all.

Front windows are too light. May get them tinted to better match the rear windows reduce sun.
      02-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Alpine tourist
Alpine tourist
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F25 Deep Sea Blue

We opted for just the rear tint: sunlight occasionally reaches our 3 year old, however not enough to bother her. Seems to have a similar effect as blinds, but more visibility. If you have the cash, you can always select both.

Talking of sun protection, we also selected the UV windscreen, which does a great job of keeping the temperature down in hot weather. The only catch is no grey/green shade at the top of the windscreen if you also have HUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Is the lack of shaded portion the top of the windshield something you notice?
      02-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #14
Alpine tourist
Alpine tourist
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F25 Deep Sea Blue

Sometimes. I would prefer to have it, however the benefits of HUD outweighed it for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 04:27 AM   #15
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Interesting! I never realized that strip made such a difference since it was always there. I opted out of the HUD because I didn't think I'd see a benefit with the display in the gauge area and the screen, but I've noticed that you really like yours. May have to reconsider next time -- hopefully that's not too soon, though!