BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
HighPlainsCruiser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 XDrive35i

NRF Tires Add a Bit of Off Road Suspension

Should report that with the original Goodyear RFT's when you went off road, even on smooth gravel or dirt roads, the suspension felt absolutely dead, I had written off all off roading. Installing a new set of Michelin NRF's has brought back the semblance of an off road suspension. Of course the X3 does have a low clearance and it's an SAV not a SUV, so there are definitely limits but I now feel I can try some limited off roading.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

X3 fulfills US regulations for a SUV - 8" clearence on a flat road. This is important since there is a tax excemption for SUV:s (incl. pick-ups) partly to "support" country people - partly to keep the Japanese at bay.

There is just the one advantage with RFT:s - otherwise no good.

Problem with X3/X4 and most SUV:s are limited front attack-angel, due to styling/front spoiler.

Unfortunately BMW did use same clearence on my X4 - before I lowered it. I rarely take my car to Oregon back-roads
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
HighPlainsCruiser
Private
Rep

You are right about the clearance, it's actually slightly higher than my Explorer which did a lot of offroading, but it's the body that precludes doing much serious. You can find some YouTube videos of people trying to test it's off road capability, only recommended if you want to trash the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Finally someone mentioning those unspoken words of off roading. I've taken mine out to the desert several times with no problems. I'm not looking to rollover boulders a la lifted Jeeps, but it goes through sand and rocks ok, but slow. The ground clearance is right in the ballpark for many of todays SUV, but the biggest problem is lack of suspension travel. What is the difference in the tires you got, one set more compliant than the other? My other worry is lack of a spare, even w/ RFT. I did pickup a BMW 306 rim from a junked X3 on eBay and a used tire for a "throw in the car spare" now. Depending on how long I keep the car(waiting for new Ford Ranger or Jeep Pickup), no love affair here with BMW, if I do need a new set of tires I will look at Yokohama Geolandars A/T-s. Tire within the 5% size rule of thumb will give another 1/2in clearance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
HighPlainsCruiser
Private
Rep

The first set were Goodyear Run Flats that came with the new car. The second set are Michelin Primary MXM4's Non Run Flats. It's the difference between feeling no suspension travel and a noticeable travel. If I had known the difference I would have gotten rid of the Goodyears from the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
hoho_leung
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsCruiser View Post
The first set were Goodyear Run Flats that came with the new car. The second set are Michelin Primary MXM4's Non Run Flats. It's the difference between feeling no suspension travel and a noticeable travel. If I had known the difference I would have gotten rid of the Goodyears from the beginning.
There are several options of Michelin Primary MXM4 NFT, which are you using? I am thinking about the cheapest one.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

NRF's will help iron out some of the bumpy ride on any uneven tarmac road (we have many in Blighty!!)