BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Dynamic Drive Control and Adjustable Dampers Question

No, this is not a question about how they work or with what options they're available or what the rocker switch does or how they're named or any other question you can't stand reading again.

I'm curious to know if there's a way to reprogram the computer to allow you to select exactly what the rocker switch changes. I know you can choose between Chassis and Drivetrain, but might there be a way to change the steering assist or brake stiffness or suspension alone, á la the new M5? I ask because I'm finding that sometimes, I want a more engaging drive but I don't want to suffer the pain from the ever-increasing number of potholes and bumpy, washboarded roads in Chicago. Except for on a track, I see little reason why the suspension should be any stiffer on the street unless the tire sidewalls were softer (I'm running on the 19" 309s with run-flats). I would drive in SPORT almost always if it meant that I could customize Chassis mode to just the steering and brakes, leaving SPORT+ readily available to tighten the suspension if I should come across a road that decides to be forgiving.

I know I probably should have opted for the 18" 308s on these grounds, but I want my car to look its best. I don't see why BMW couldn't have designed the car with an increased tire radius. The Q5 and the GLK run on 19" wheels as standard with tires which I wouldn't necessarily consider to be low-profile, especially compared to the stiff, unforgiving sidewalls of the 19" 309s on the X3.

I still love the car and I wouldn't trade it for either one of those, but I'm looking for someone to shed some light on this for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bump.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
I don't have any insight on how to change the settings like you ask, I would like to turn sport on for just steering and maybe brakes leaving normal mode suspension as well, and perhaps have more granular controls. My sport mode is set for chassis only, I use it over 95% of the time, turning it off for a few specific bumpy roads.

However, I opted for the 308's, specifically getting a 2011 over 2012 so I could get 308's w/ SAP and there isn't a frost heave or pothole in town that has me upset about that.

My request would be that the sport mode selection survive turning the car off and back on. Instead i just make it habit as part of buckling up.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's just because I live in one of the most poorly-budgeted cities in the country and there's no money to repave all the streets that need work. Sometimes I envy the Range Rovers devoid of any road feel at all, but then I remember that's why I didn't buy one.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I hear ya Judd, iDrive has come a long way but I still wish it would let you have more customization over sport mode. For me I'd like to have the ability to set rpm shift points and responsiveness separately instead of having them lumped together in "drivetrain."

I'm not familiar with the new M5's iDrive but even then I still envy the iDrive in my buddy's E60 M5, the ability to set different profiles and changing from 500 hp to 400 hp among other things is pretty sweet.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

So what's the general consensus then Judd? You've had a rough ride (excuse the pun ) but are you generally happy second time around with the X3? I ask directly only because I can't always tell for sure from your posts. Your journey has been worth it from my point of view to see your photos which have convinced me I need to upgrade my DSLR

On the subject of the thread, I agree that more you can customise the better and it's a shame that you can't always get what you want

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0