BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Toecutter
Private
Rep
Drives: rattletrap

Active Cruise Control in the works any time soon?

I understand ACC is not available now, but has anyone caught wind if it's going to be an option by the 2012 MY?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Intresting you mention this. This morning I noticed that right above the speedometer, are the visual markings (the lighting has to be just right but it's there)for ACC and lane departure. Does anyone know if the parking sensors are used for this technology and a software upgrade is all that is needed?

kozzi

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

I noticed that too, but I thought it is because of the common backplate (X3/X5). I was bummed I could not get active cruise control for the X3... It'd be nice if it could be retrofitted. I don't think the sensors are there - it is a radar and it would cost quite a bit so there's no point installing it if you're not going to use it. And if you are, they will want to make you pay for it .
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
I noticed that too, but I thought it is because of the common backplate (X3/X5). I was bummed I could not get active cruise control for the X3... It'd be nice if it could be retrofitted. I don't think the sensors are there - it is a radar and it would cost quite a bit so there's no point installing it if you're not going to use it. And if you are, they will want to make you pay for it .
What's the diff b/w cruise control and active cruise control?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
What's the diff b/w cruise control and active cruise control?
ACC uses a forward facing radar to detect the vehicle in front of you and then automatically either slows your car down to match the front vehicle's speed or applies the brakes if a collision is eminent. Unlike plain old standard cruse control, which will happily rear end the car in front if it's going slower than you are.

Unfortunately, the continuous radar beam it projects can also usually trigger older radar detectors nearby but since they are at a different frequency (76.6 GHz) than police radar they probably won't trigger newer, more selective radar detectors. Also, since the frequency is different, they won't interfere, block or jam police radar.

Last edited by Lotus7; 03-05-2011 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

After posting that, I did some research and noticed it's not in any of the X models. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #7
Toecutter
Private
Rep
Drives: rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
After posting that, I did some research and noticed it's not in any of the X models. Weird.
I believe it's available in the X5.
Appreciate 0