BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-04-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
cheeseboy78
Rep
Drives: X5

I´m in Love

On the ice, in the snow and in town it was perfect!BMW!

this was a hell of a lot of fun too ;-) (okok, not an X3, but X5 )

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
coiken
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Wow, these are some nice pictures, I love the B&W picture a lot!
I guess you are using winter tyres?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Awsome pics

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
cheeseboy78
Rep
Drives: X5

@coiken,

there are "winter" tires and then there are "M&S" tires... (for mud and slush...) The latter is what we use in europe. Real Winter tires wear out crazy fast and are often only used in areas where there is loads of snow for a long time...

The M&S tires have to be fitted by law here in germany for certain months of the year, otherwise your insurance is void. It isn´t a bad thing really, as once the air temp drops below about 6 deg, summer tires stop working for you, and become extremely dangerous (been trying to tell our UK mates to do the same for years, but they insist on sticking with useless summer tires on cold, frosty, wet and snowy roads). The M&S are fantastic! the rubber stays plyable even in cold weather, they don´t ruin the look of your car as for 6 months of the year you run m&S on alloys, and the other 6 on summers on alloys... Grip is unbelievable, and in comparison to "All season" tires (which sorry guys suck in summer and winter in comparison to decent M&S or decent summer tires) are awesome. it´s like having a dry track, but it´s winter :-D
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseboy78 View Post
there are "winter" tires and then there are "M&S" tires...
- Marks and Spencer's should sell tyres, there's a product that fits there marketing slogan (For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's an example of one of many M&S foody ads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekpBrywvRpo )

Seriously though, I'm quite interested in what you're saying re. M&S - I'll be getting my X3 in June, so don't need to worry for a while, but was planning on getting winter tyre set, I was probably going to go with BMW winter tyre package they offer here..
I plan for a few weeks of the year to be driving in snowy areas, so maybe M&S aren't right for me, but as you say and I'd heard, winter/M&S tyres are good for low temperatures too, and apart from those week and the odd snowy day in the south of UK, that's what they'd be contending with. M&S tyres sound more suitable for the most part then..

But how will they be on the X3 on snow, driving up a mountain?
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0