BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

rear rotors replacement at 32,000km?

dealership just advised me that my rear rotors needs to be replaced at 32,000 km.

isn't that too early?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
khaiql
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 2012 30D

For rotors definately to soon to replace. However, maybe they meant rear pads instead? I know mine are due at about that time, although I agree that 33K to replace even brake pads seems unreasonable given these aren't even performance pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaiql View Post
For rotors definately to soon to replace. However, maybe they meant rear pads instead? I know mine are due at about that time, although I agree that 33K to replace even brake pads seems unreasonable given these aren't even performance pads.
service advisor said that the rotors just above the thread hold, if just replace the brake pads, they cant guaranteed that it won't make sound.

$435 for pads and rotor
$230ish for the pads
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
Ziba
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Got my replaced at 27000 km, pads and rotors. You are looking at 528.87$ bill. That's what I paid. There is some shop supplies costs included in that.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingstar88 View Post
dealership just advised me that my rear rotors needs to be replaced at 32,000 km.

isn't that too early?
Suppose it depends on how hard you drive, not necessarily how much you stop. If you have Performance Control, (standard on the X3 35i ?) it could simply be the brake application used by that feature increasing rotor/pad wear.

Brakes are not just used to stop a vehicle these days.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

My dad's 2011 x28 had the rear pads changed at 38k.. the warning came up maybe 10k before that. Look at the remaining thickness of the pads. I think the warning is a bit aggressive.

The idrive on my wife's 2013 x28 is already showing a warning in 20k .. there's only 10k on the car -_-
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
My dad's 2011 x28 had the rear pads changed at 38k.. the warning came up maybe 10k before that. Look at the remaining thickness of the pads. I think the warning is a bit aggressive.

The idrive on my wife's 2013 x28 is already showing a warning in 20k .. there's only 10k on the car -_-
i do agree with changing the pads..however the rotors replacement ticked me off. i might go through independent shop to get both replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
Ziba
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

My warning showed up at 20000km as well. BMW reset it twice and finally replaced them at 27000km. I don't drive aggressively and the brakes went pretty fast, but like HighlandPete has noted there is few system using brakes without you even knowing, DSC for example.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
caz681
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Xdrive35i

Scam?

This sounds like a scam. However, if we assume for a moment that it isn't, how is it not covered under BMW's warranty and maintenance programs?

From BMW's USA web site:

We cover all factory-recommended maintenance at no charge for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, as well as specific items that require replacement due to normal wear and tear.

Your maintenance costs:

Engine Oil Services: $0
Inspection Services: $0
Wiper Blade Inserts: $0
Brake Pads: $0
Brake Discs: $0

Engine Drive Belts: $0
Brake Fluid Service: $0

BMW's Canadian site doesn't seem to have this same text, but I believe the maintenance program is the same as for the USA. So, in order to charge you, they would need to conclude that the brake/rotor wear is excessive; and, unless you've been taking the vehicle to the track, or you brake with your left foot (those people are always driving around with their brake lights on), then that's very improbable.

Mingstar88, you said the dealer said that the rotors were "just above" the threshold, but you didn't say which threshold (and perhaps they didn't say). The two factors to be evaluated with brakes rotors are thickness and runout (i.e., how warped or uneven they are). The thickness of rotors is not substantially affected during normal use, as it's the brake pads that wear away. Rotors can become warped or uneven for various reasons, but this can usually be resolved by resurfacing them. Resurfacing the rotor removes a thin layer of metal to restore a smooth surface, and this is typically how rotors get thinner. You can usually do this at least a couple of times before the rotors reach their specification for minimum thickness, and then they must be replaced.

Has your dealer specified -- in writing -- what needs to be done, and what are the current specifications of your rotors and pads (thickness and runout for the rotors, just thickness for the pads)? I would require that of them, and be very suspicious if they will not comply. The only reason they would not put it in writing is because they fear you'd do exactly what I'm going to tell you to do, which is take the vehicle to an independent shop or another BMW dealer and have them tell you what your specs are. Indeed, if there is another BMW dealer within reasonable distance, getting a second opinion from them is a good idea.

Another thing to be aware of is that the original software with which the X3 shipped had an error in its algorithm for computing when the rear brakes needed servicing. The error would cause the car to alert for rear brake service too soon. BMW issued an update to fix that, which my dealer applied to my vehicle this past year. My 2011 X3 with over 27,000 miles (43,000 km) has still not reached its first service for the rear brakes (or the fronts, for that matter).
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz681 View Post
This sounds like a scam. However, if we assume for a moment that it isn't, how is it not covered under BMW's warranty and maintenance programs?

From BMW's USA web site:

We cover all factory-recommended maintenance at no charge for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, as well as specific items that require replacement due to normal wear and tear.

Your maintenance costs:

BMW's Canadian site doesn't seem to have this same text, but I believe the maintenance program is the same as for the USA. So, in order to charge you, they would need to conclude that the brake/rotor wear is excessive; and, unless you've been taking the vehicle to the track, or you brake with your left foot (those people are always driving around with their brake lights on), then that's very improbable.

Mingstar88, you said the dealer said that the rotors were "just above" the threshold, but you didn't say which threshold (and perhaps they didn't say). The two factors to be evaluated with brakes rotors are thickness and runout (i.e., how warped or uneven they are). The thickness of rotors is not substantially affected during normal use, as it's the brake pads that wear away. Rotors can become warped or uneven for various reasons, but this can usually be resolved by resurfacing them. Resurfacing the rotor removes a thin layer of metal to restore a smooth surface, and this is typically how rotors get thinner. You can usually do this at least a couple of times before the rotors reach their specification for minimum thickness, and then they must be replaced.

Has your dealer specified -- in writing -- what needs to be done, and what are the current specifications of your rotors and pads (thickness and runout for the rotors, just thickness for the pads)? I would require that of them, and be very suspicious if they will not comply. The only reason they would not put it in writing is because they fear you'd do exactly what I'm going to tell you to do, which is take the vehicle to an independent shop or another BMW dealer and have them tell you what your specs are. Indeed, if there is another BMW dealer within reasonable distance, getting a second opinion from them is a good idea.

Another thing to be aware of is that the original software with which the X3 shipped had an error in its algorithm for computing when the rear brakes needed servicing. The error would cause the car to alert for rear brake service too soon. BMW issued an update to fix that, which my dealer applied to my vehicle this past year. My 2011 X3 with over 27,000 miles (43,000 km) has still not reached its first service for the rear brakes (or the fronts, for that matter).
hey thanks for your post.
brake pad and rotors are NOT covered under BMW Canada warranty
brake pad part i understand to replace since it's already 32,500km and as i do drive hard. rotor replacement ticked me off. i wonder if other members have replaced it in a such low mileage as well
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Front rotors and pads replaced in March this year, but rears were ok. Mileage was ~60,000kms.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 4.0D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz681 View Post

From BMW's USA web site:

Your maintenance costs:

Hi,
You guys/gals are so lucky in the USofA as we in the UK only get 3 years/50,000 (80,00Kms) warranty with no service extras whatever and certainly nothing other than faulty parts, not wear and tear items :-(.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingstar88 View Post
...brake pad and rotors are NOT covered under BMW Canada warranty

brake pad part i understand to replace since it's already 32,500km and as i do drive hard. rotor replacement ticked me off. i wonder if other members have replaced it in a such low mileage as well
Same here in the UK, unless we buy the top level service package.

I can understand if you drive hard, pads are worn faster than a lot of drivers. As to the rotors, if they are just above the thickness threshold, it is understandable why the garage have recommended new rotors. The old rotors won't last the life of the new pads without running under the threshold. There has to be a judgement made and it makes good sense to replace.

To be fair, over here in our Highland climate rotors often need replacing ahead of pads, due to corrosion. Both get replaced together as normal practice. OEM rotors are virtually as disposable as pads these days, on many vehicles. Soft rotor material wears at a greater rate than when we used to have asbestos material in the pads.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Same here in the UK, unless we buy the top level service package.

I can understand if you drive hard, pads are worn faster than a lot of drivers. As to the rotors, if they are just above the thickness threshold, it is understandable why the garage have recommended new rotors. The old rotors won't last the life of the new pads without running under the threshold. There has to be a judgement made and it makes good sense to replace.

To be fair, over here in our Highland climate rotors often need replacing ahead of pads, due to corrosion. Both get replaced together as normal practice. OEM rotors are virtually as disposable as pads these days, on many vehicles. Soft rotor material wears at a greater rate than when we used to have asbestos material in the pads.

HighlandPete
Hi HighlandPete,

I appreciate your neutral comment. To be honest, I dislike this service advisor, I wouldn't be surprised that he's trying to rip me off. He first started conversation by saying brakes will be $435+tax and fog light to be $350+tax. I was like fuming, no explaination and gave me the cost of repairs. Then I asked if he had asked BMW Canada about the fog light replacement (fog light cracked) under warranty in which I originally stated when I dropped it off. He then said it will take 1-2 days and funny enough they actually replaced it under warranty same day. Anyways, I will probably get a second opinion on the brake rotors replacement at another dealership.

Thanks,

edit: he simply said brakes will be $435+tax, I was shocked since I know pads only cost 230ish+tax then I was like why so much then he bothered to explain to me the rotors needs to be replaced too.

Last edited by Mingstar88; 06-07-2014 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: added more info
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #15
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Try taking it to an independent for an assessment. Also, are there any aftermarket equivalents available/
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #16
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

got my brake pads replaced today at an independant shop.
rotors is freaking fine, i hate my stealership
here's the pads i used
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-P...item2a3730a4cd

also i changed the sensor but the mechanic said my original sensor wasn't broken but watever since i ordered from US, just bought both in case..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #17
gdstan55
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i

Wow, that says alot about your stealership!

Also didn't know Akebono makes brake pads for F25 now. Their website lists "Clean Wheels" as a feature of their pads. Think I'll give these a try when my pads are out.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #18
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

textar also makes them i belive
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #19
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Mingstar, I believe that you are the problem, not your dealer. BMW has a standard for rotor replacement, somewhere around 18mm. You said in post #3 that the dealer said that your rotors were just above the threshold.

So, your dealer told you that your rotors were close to replacement, but still within spec, and recommended replacement anyway. I look at that as informing you of both the spec and the status of your rotors, and giving you the opportunity to make an informed choice.

You didn't like the price, and shopped around and found someone that gave you a lower price, but didn't care about spec. Congratulations, you saved money, but lost on safety.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #20
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Mingstar, I believe that you are the problem, not your dealer. BMW has a standard for rotor replacement, somewhere around 18mm. You said in post #3 that the dealer said that your rotors were just above the threshold.

So, your dealer told you that your rotors were close to replacement, but still within spec, and recommended replacement anyway. I look at that as informing you of both the spec and the status of your rotors, and giving you the opportunity to make an informed choice.

You didn't like the price, and shopped around and found someone that gave you a lower price, but didn't care about spec. Congratulations, you saved money, but lost on safety.
wow, slow down there, im offended by your comment by saying im the problem. my dealership has been giving me a lot of garbage and false info. one of my fog light was cracked and BMW Canada approved warranty, the service guy calls me up asking me for $300 then I said what did BMW Canada say? he then said he didnt ask and it will take 2-3 business days. guess what? in 2 hrs he calls me and left voicemail and tells me that it was replaced for free. see what kind of people im dealing with here? also we measured the rotors, way above the spec. no squeaking / nothing after replacement either......now get off my thread
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #21
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

So, they measured. What was "way above spec" in millimeters? You didn't say "way above spec" before. What did the rotors measure at?

"Get off my thread"? Oh, right away for sure. You post in a public forum, call out your dealer as a stealer, and you would like to ban the first person who calls you out as a potential idiot? It doesn't work that way. So, how many mm were the rotors?
Appreciate 0